And so it begins: The Pig Vs The Mortgage

Options

Comments

• pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Its nearly Friday :j:j

Got landed with the emotional mopping up of an incident at work which had the potential to be a real pain but luckily it resolved itself without too much trouble. Other than that it was a nice day and I left in reasonable time having done all my marking :D. Hardly dare say it as its bound to go t***s up at some point but my resolution to work smarter is really helping to maintain a bit of balance in the piggy household.

In money news I got £5.80 of NatWest rewards paid into my account so that was OS. I had a£1.34 grocery spend on cous cous and 6 pack of crisps for DS's packed lunches ( don't like him having them but at least this way they are 75p for 6 and not 50p a packet from the canteen which he can be tempted to do left to his own devices:eek:).
    I also had a £3.54 spend on some bits of xmas gifts but this will come out of my annual costs budget.
    I'm not doing very well with NSDs this week:o
    Other than that I've managed to:

Make tomato and Basil soup and cous cous and roasted veggies for the freezer.

Finish the ironing

Do a spin class - legs feel like jelly:eek:

Cheap eats (porridge for breakfast, lo carbonara and salad for lunch, HM chicken pie using filling from the freezer with roast potatoes, broccoli and Sweetcorn for dinner). There was enough pie filling to make two pasties for the kids lunches tomorrow:money:
    Didn't need to do a daily clean as DD hoovered right through and cleaned the bathroom:)

DD is having a weekend away with friends and DS is off to his dad's so I am having a proper, grown up city break:D. I'm doing my best to keep it thrifty. I have an advance train ticket which I bought through TCB, I've made a roasted veg and cous cous salad to eat on the train and I'll take my own coffee and water. Plans include sight seeing, relaxing and a run so nothing spendy. I'm really excited about it:)
    Off to catch up with the GBBO and then off to bed. I always seem to be ready for bed by 9.30. I'm often going to bed just as DD is going out:rotfl:

PP x
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • pinkypig
    Options
    :o:o. My neglected diary was eventually located towards the end of page three. Must try harder...

I had a truly lovely weekend away and despite the travelling and packing a lot in I returned ready to attack the new week. Just as well as I've had a pig of start (no pun intended:rotfl:) but more of the nice stuff:)
    I managed a full on day of sight seeing, museums and beautiful parks for the price of a £3 bus ticket:money: I must have walked miles and ended up with the blisters to prove it but I had a supply of plasters in the black hole that is my handbag so no additional spends there! Lunch and dinner were picnics that included coffee and water so no food spends apart from £1.30 on a coffee whilst having a much needed sit down whilst waiting for the bus home.
    I did have a few other spends but they were careful and considered. £4 was on four lots of £land hair colour as my local one hasn't had my shade for months so I stocked up. I also got Primarni trainers liners as mine have all worn to the point of translucency. These were needs but I must confess to giving in to a want in the shape of Phase Eight dress which is just lovely. I haven't gone completely bonkers though (my days of ludicrously priced but lovely dresses are over) as it was £6.95 from the local hospice shop. Its immaculate, great quality and is a perfect fit. Consequently I felt purchase guilt for a nano second and then felt very chuffed :). The rest if the weekend was just relaxing and chatting although I did get out for a run in the sunshine:) Apart from travel expenses that was my total spend as I took my own food for the train and stayed with a lovely friend.

In money news I managed an os payment of £44.95 from an expenses cheque and pay day is very soon so I'm looking forward to doing my September totals (sad I know:rotfos ).
    I haven't been grocery shopping yet and so I'm going to do a mini stores challenge which would mean cutting out one weekly shop for this month so I could os a bit extra.
    Today was porridge for breakfast, soup from the freezer and ys rolls for lunch and veggie moussaka from the freezer for dinner. There was no salad so I used frozen veg instead and it was OK. I've eaten the last apple but I've got tins of grapefruit from AF, frozen foraged apples and blackberries and frozen rhubarb so I'm going to make do.
    I've found veggie chilli for tomorrow but as there's no rice it will be hm wedges using the first of my home grown potatoes:D. There could be some interesting combos by Thursday:eek:

In other news;
    Unpacked and put bag away
    Laundry left on the airer has been folded and put away (I must,must,must make this a habit)
    Went to kettle bells and managed to increase my weights and survived. Remembered my shower things so had a long, hot,free shower:money:
    Marking and tomorrow's prep done
    Nsd apart from petrol
    Got a good night's sleep and drank plenty of water

Off to catch up on a bit of TV and the essential term time early night (my electric blanket is on:D).
    Hope you all had a lovely weekend and survived a grey, wet Monday.

PP x
  • pinkypig
    edited 26 September 2017 at 8:20PM
    Options
    Its been a lovely sunny day here but it didn't give me the lift it normally does and I've felt a bit weary towards the end of the day. This is the time when the mortgage feels huge and endless. Must stay positive and my diary and the threads on here never fail to give me a boost. I'm so glad to have found like minded folk who experience the same highs and lows that a journey like this invariably brings. So onwards and upwards:)

Not much money news apart from a 76p TT to the OS pot and a small spend on posting a letter. Other than that it was a nsd.
    I'm continuing my stores challenge and have used up porridge oats for breakfast, a baked potato and a tin of fruit for lunch and veggie chilli for dinner with enough leftovers for lunch tomorrow.
    Work was generally OK and my marking is up to date and tomorrow's prep is done.
    I've kept to my lifestyle challenges and have done a spin class and drunk enough water
    Its pay day very soon and I'm looking forward to a money shuffle:D

At the risk of repeating myself I'm going to read for a bit before getting another early night :)

PP
  • Downshifterella
    Options
    Well done on the health /lifestyle challenges PP and the prep/making being up to date! No mean feat and not surprised u feel a bit meh at times....this week has felt a bit like that to me too....waiting for "something"...( Not sure what! OP potential?....Friday?..)

Paydays pin too for me and looking forward to some money shuffling too! Ah how easily pleased I am!:money:
    MF planning for the simple life :beer::j
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    Keep going. It's nearly pay day. And then it will be half term before the next payday.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • pinkypig
    Options
    Well done on the health /lifestyle challenges PP and the prep/making being up to date! No mean feat and not surprised u feel a bit meh at times....this week has felt a bit like that to me too....waiting for "something"...( Not sure what! OP potential?....Friday?..)

Paydays pin too for me and looking forward to some money shuffling too! Ah how easily pleased I am!:money:

Thank you:). Genuinely love a money shuffle:rotfl:
  • pinkypig
    Options
    Keep going. It's nearly pay day. And then it will be half term before the next payday.

Thanks Wish - you're right, pay day and the holidays. What's not to like?:)
    Hope you're feeling a bit better xx
  • pinkypig
    Options
    I am finding a daily post is so beneficial in keeping me focused but yesterday just disappeared on me:o

Work was good but frantic. I'm adapting my approach to deal with some of the more challenging aspects of my job and I'm starting to see real improvements. Determined to have it nailed by half term then we can all just get stuck in and have a successful and enjoyable (still of that 'old school' belief that this matters :)) year.

Health and lifestyle changes are going well. I drank plenty of water, did a long run and had a lovely, relaxing evening with a couple of friends. A great catch up and no spends as it was a their birthday treat ( and it really was a treat to eat out, not doing it often makes it so much more enjoyable then when I was doing it all the time).

In money news it was rent day so my cashback credit card that I use for groceries, fuel and personal spends was paid in fully. As its payday today I paid the balance of the rent plus what was left in my current account into the OS mortgage pot so £343.90 transferred:j
    I also managed to get a free loaf of bread from Shopium and finally tracked down the cranberry juice that cost £2 which Ocean Spray refund as part if their promotion and got £1 from Shopium so Im being paid to drink it (thanks for the tip Museumworker:A). Receipts all uploaded so should get refunds soon.
    I've managed to skip a weekly shop by having a use up:j. My only spend this week was on milk. My stocks are depleted but not desperate so I might have another try at this next month.

I get paid today so I need to tally up budgets and set new goals. My mortgage accounts will update on the 1st then I'll be able to see exactly how I've done. Can't wait!!

Best get moving - another day begins...
  • pinkypig
    Options
    Today seems to have disappeared very quickly. Work was uneventful and I got an early finish which was both welcome and useful.

Meal planning is done and the weekly food shop was £36.98 and I've enough ingredients to do at least four lots of batch cooking. I didn't go off list apart from buying a long handled paving wire brush which I've had my eye on for weeks which was reduced to £2.50 and a baby gift for a colleague which was reduced to £1.50:money:

I got a load of laundry line dried and put away and batch cooked spag bol sauce in the slow cooker. I used turkey mince and padded out with some bread crumbs from the freezer. Aldi have reduced chopped tomatoes with herbs and they've made a lovely,rich sauce. I've kept on portion out for an easy weekend tea and have frozen three.
    In money news I've requested a small payment from TCB and Shopium have confirmed my refund on my bread and juice. This weekend I need to work out my totals for September although I'm working all weekend so realistically it might be early next week. I want time to do it carefully and properly - its my favourite time of the month:rotfl:

My October targets are going to be ;

Health and well being - drink two litres of water a day, no processed food and no excessive snacking, exercise four times a week and get at least 7.5 hours sleep. Get as much time with the kids, family and friends as possible.

Money ;
    Pay £800 net into AVC to make sure I have enough income to retire in 7 years.

OS £400 a month so will be mortgage free when I retire early.

Stick to budgets £150 grocery, £130 fuel, £50 personal and OS anything that is left over.

Continue keeping a spending diary

Home health - continue with daily cleaning routine and cut back two more areas of garden.

I would also like to have my Christmas things done over half term as work and life ard always frantic in December. This year's will be approached as a thrifty challenge and I've made a good start with a heap of bargainous purchases made in the January sales and some CS gems I've picked up throughout the year :money:

Night night

PP x
  • pinkypig
    Options
    Happy new month!

Hats off to anyone who regularly works weekends and/or extra shifts and jobs. I've done it once and I'm knackered:o. Truly s***e weather didn't help but I'm home now and wet, muddy clothes are washed and on the airer and the made ahead bol sauce made for a quick and easy dinner. The kids appear disinterested by return so they clearly haven't been wasting away through neglect.
    Before I take to my bed (a ridiculous time even for me) I thought I do my favorite job of the month - budget updates:j

Spends

Grocery £108.09/£150. That freezer/stocks use up saved a packet:D

Travel £115.55/£130

Personal £71.15/£50. A haircut and a Christmas meal deposit didn't help but I also failed to resist new(to me) shoes, a dress, wine glasses and had a hair colour stock up:o. Must try harder...

Gas and electricity - no idea as I'm switching supplier and my smart meter data was wiped mid month.

Annual expenses (which I save for monthly)

£67.50 coal
    £25.17 gifts and cards
    £8.53 Christmas gifts

Money saving

Pension AVC £0/£800 net. My application wasn't processed in time for payroll cut off so my first contribution will be in October.

Annual expenses pot £500/£500

Interest from MOS account £50.93

MOS saving £1942.54/£400. This is high because the£800 avc payment went in here instead and I also had £430.29 of annual interest to pay in but even so I would have exceeded my target :j
    :beer: Well chuffed:)

The mortgage balance is now £110,226.59 which means my mortgage neutral balance is £101,539.41. This is a capital reduction of £3325.75 in September. I could literally squeal with joy. The day I did discovered this forum was a pivatol day indeed. Thank you, thank you, thank you:A

My aim was under £100k by the end of the year but secretly I wanted the end of November. It's now the end of October. Off I go - wish me luck :)
    Hope you all had a lovely (if water logged) weekend.

PP x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback