Claiming pension from time worked in France

Options
woolly_wombat
woolly_wombat Posts: 820 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
OH currently has pension entitlement from 4 years spent working in France.

Under current rules he will be able to claim it when he reaches 66, or can take it from age 60 onwards with reductions.

He was planning on taking it at 66, in just over 2 years time.

Brexit has thrown a huge spanner in the works since once we exit he will no longer meet the minimum 15 year rule.

When claiming via the International Pension Centre does an EU pension currently have to be claimed at the same time as UK pension?

Should he try and claim the French pension sooner rather than later (not something he wants to do as he is a high earner)?

Can anyone with any expertise/experience venture an opinion?

Many thanks.
WW

Comments

• wookie6
    wookie6 Posts: 277 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

Ive just asked a question relating to a Germany pension here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5619694

I know rules for each country are different however can you expand on the following?
    Brexit has thrown a huge spanner in the works since once we exit he will no longer meet the minimum 10 year rule.
  • JezR
    JezR Posts: 1,697 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 March 2017 at 12:46PM
    Options
    When reciprocal social security arrangements have been unwound before (eg with Australia), rights gained during the period they have been in force have been preserved.

The UK also had bilateral arrangements with a number of European countries prior to entering the European Communities including France and Germany and these may leap back into life.
  • woolly_wombat
    Options
    wookie6 wrote: »
    Hi,

Ive just asked a question relating to a Germany pension here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5619694

I know rules for each country are different however can you expand on the following?

Sorry to muddy the waters with a new thread!

According to:
    http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/work/retire-abroad/state-pensions-abroad/index_en.htm

"Eligibility periods
    In some EU countries, you must have worked for a minimum period of time to be entitled to a pension.

In such cases, the pension authority has to take into account all the periods you've worked in other EU countries, as if you'd been working in that country all along, to assess whether you're entitled to a pension ( principle of aggregation of periods).

If it fails to do so, contact our assistance services for help.
    "

"Sample story

Tom worked for 4 years in Germany and 32 years in Portugal.

In Germany, you must have worked for at least 5 years to be entitled to a pension. Tom would not normally qualify for the national pension scheme in Germany as he had worked there for only 4 years.

However, the German pension authority had to take into account the years Tom worked in Portugal...
    ."

"Sample story

Rosa worked 20 years in France and 10 years in Spain.

Both countries apply a minimum period of 15 years of work in order to have the right to a pension. Each country will calculate Rosa's pension....
    "
  • woolly_wombat
    Options
    The International Pension Centre have just told me that the French pension does not need to be claimed at the same time as the UK pension.

As to what will happen after Article 50 is triggered next week (29th March), who knows...
  • greenglide
    greenglide Posts: 3,301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    As to what will happen after Article 50 is triggered next week (29th March), who knows...
    Nothing until Mrs May (actually the hard right wing of her party who seem to have there hands well up her back) does a deal or storms out in a hissy fit.

Neither will be good. Like many, many other areas I dont think this will be a particularly high priority.
  • woolly_wombat
    woolly_wombat Posts: 820 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 21 March 2017 at 12:27PM
    Options
    greenglide wrote: »
    Neither will be good. Like many, many other areas I dont think this will be a particularly high priority.

Hmm. Perhaps best to claim earlier with a reduction rather than risk losing it all later?
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    does a deal or storms out in a hissy fit.

Honestly, would you have said this if she were a man?
  • greenglide
    greenglide Posts: 3,301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Honestly, would you have said this if she were a man?
    Yes, I would. Anyone who rules out staying in the single market and the customs union before the negotiations even start clearly isnt starting with an open mind has no intention to get "the best BREXIT for Britain".

Hissy fits are not available to men and women equally.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,706 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    greenglide wrote: »
    Yes, I would. Anyone who rules out staying in the single market and the customs union before the negotiations even start clearly isnt starting with an open mind has no intention to get "the best BREXIT for Britain".

Hissy fits are not available to men and women equally.

Being a bit economical with the actualite aren't you?
    It's the EU that have ruled out us staying in the single market and the customs union by tying them both to free movement of all and sundry.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,706 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    OH currently has pension entitlement from 4 years spent working in France.....
    WW

France is flat broke and cannot really afford to pay his pension. Given he's a high earner and therefore safe to say he'll be relatively OK in retirement he could do the decent thing by France and just forget all about it. ;)
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure