Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wookie6
    • By wookie6 17th Mar 17, 9:45 PM
    • 209Posts
    • 16Thanks
    wookie6
    Claiming pension from time worked in Germany?
    • 17th Mar 17, 9:45 PM
    Claiming pension from time worked in Germany? 17th Mar 17 at 9:45 PM
    Hi,

A family member of mine has just moved into pensionable age and has started claiming their UK pension.

They also worked around 20 years of their life in Germany. I am trying to help them find out how they claim their pension from the time worked in Germany however having googled for a long time I can't find an obvious answer, most of the hits are for claiming a UK pension whilst living overseas.

Can anyone provide any advice on how this is done / where to start?

Thanks very much in advance for any help!
Page 1
    • Marine_life
    • By Marine_life 17th Mar 17, 10:07 PM
    • 739 Posts
    • 1,210 Thanks
    Marine_life
    • 17th Mar 17, 10:07 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 10:07 PM
    Hi,

A family member of mine has just moved into pensionable age and has started claiming their UK pension.

They also worked around 20 years of their life in Germany. I am trying to help them find out how they claim their pension from the time worked in Germany however having googled for a long time I can't find an obvious answer, most of the hits are for claiming a UK pension whilst living overseas.

Can anyone provide any advice on how this is done / where to start?

Thanks very much in advance for any help!
    Originally posted by wookie6
    Have a look here:

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/work/retire-abroad/state-pensions-abroad/index_en.htm

That should explain everything you need to know.
    Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot…
    • wookie6
    • By wookie6 17th Mar 17, 10:21 PM
    • 209 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    wookie6
    • 17th Mar 17, 10:21 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 10:21 PM
    I did look on that exact page but clicking on 'Pension Authority' it then takes you to a page with flags so I click 'United Kingdom' which then brings up:

International Pension Centre
    Tyneview Park
    UK - Newcastle-upon-Tyne NE98 1BA
    Tel.: +44 191 218 7777
    E-mail: TVP.internationalqueries[at]thepensionservice.gsi.gov.uk
    Website

Then clicking the website link it then brings up a direct.gov page titled:

"State Pension if you retire abroad"

Like I say, they are not looking to retire abroad, they are wanting to claim pension from time worked in Germany when they have worked their last 15+ years of their life in the UK and now wish to retire in the UK.
    • JezR
    • By JezR 17th Mar 17, 10:57 PM
    • 1,480 Posts
    • 1,045 Thanks
    JezR
    • 17th Mar 17, 10:57 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 10:57 PM
    The International Pension Centre helps both with international claims for a UK pension and with claims to other EU social security systems from UK residents.

Details of employment outside of the UK including the social security number are included in the application for the State Pension in Part 5.

Also look at

http://www.deutsche-rentenversicherung.de/Allgemein/de/Inhalt/2_Rente_Reha/01_rente/01_grundwissen/05_rente_und_ausland/02a_rente/02_01_rente_anspruch.html
    • wookie6
    • By wookie6 18th Mar 17, 7:31 AM
    • 209 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    wookie6
    • 18th Mar 17, 7:31 AM
    • 18th Mar 17, 7:31 AM
    Thanks Marine_life and JezR for your replies.

When claiming this German pension do you by chance know if it would be possible to have this paid direct into a German bank account to avoid losing through exchange rate conversions if this were to be paid into a UK bank account?
    • JezR
    • By JezR 18th Mar 17, 11:38 AM
    • 1,480 Posts
    • 1,045 Thanks
    JezR
    • 18th Mar 17, 11:38 AM
    • 18th Mar 17, 11:38 AM
    Yes it can be paid into a German bank.

The other wrinkle is that there is a need to provide evidence each year of still being alive to continue to receive it.
    • wookie6
    • By wookie6 18th Mar 17, 12:06 PM
    • 209 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    wookie6
    • 18th Mar 17, 12:06 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 12:06 PM
    Thanks JezR good to know!
    • t0rt0ise
    • By t0rt0ise 18th Mar 17, 12:24 PM
    • 2,862 Posts
    • 1,738 Thanks
    t0rt0ise
    • 18th Mar 17, 12:24 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 12:24 PM
    I did look on that exact page but clicking on 'Pension Authority' it then takes you to a page with flags so I click 'United Kingdom'
    You are supposed to click on the German flag for the addresses in Germany that you need to contact.
    • wookie6
    • By wookie6 18th Mar 17, 12:41 PM
    • 209 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    wookie6
    • 18th Mar 17, 12:41 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 12:41 PM
    You are supposed to click on the German flag for the addresses in Germany that you need to contact.
    Originally posted by t0rt0ise
    This contradicts JezR's earlier reply in which they said:

The International Pension Centre helps both with international claims for a UK pension and with claims to other EU social security systems from UK residents.

Details of employment outside of the UK including the social security number are included in the application for the State Pension in Part 5.
    Can anyone clarify?
    • woolly_wombat
    • By woolly_wombat 18th Mar 17, 12:46 PM
    • 453 Posts
    • 265 Thanks
    woolly_wombat
    Originally posted by t0rt0ise
    Not if they're currently living in the UK.

From the link provided by Marine_life:
    http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/work/retire-abroad/state-pensions-abroad/index_en.htm

"If you've worked in several EU countries, you may have accumulated pension rights in each of them.

You'll have to apply to the pension authority in the country where you're living or you last worked. If you've never worked in the country where you're living, your host country will forward your claim to the one you last worked in.

That country is then responsible for processing your claim and bringing together records of your contributions from all the countries you worked in.
    "

They need to ring the International Pension Centre.
    • woolly_wombat
    • By woolly_wombat 18th Mar 17, 12:57 PM
    • 453 Posts
    • 265 Thanks
    woolly_wombat
    Yes it can be paid into a German bank.

The other wrinkle is that there is a need to provide evidence each year of still being alive to continue to receive it.
    Originally posted by JezR
    Is it still possible to claim directly from the German authorities JezR?

I have read comments on MSE in the past citing difficulties in providing evidence each year of still being alive.

I thought claiming via the International Pension Centre overcame that difficulty.
    • greenglide
    • By greenglide 18th Mar 17, 1:46 PM
    • 2,637 Posts
    • 1,658 Thanks
    greenglide
    Normally the accrued benefits overseas where there is a mutual agreement (all the EU countries) can be paid along with the UK state pension. The overseas pension also will meet the minimum requirements for a US pension (the 10 years requirement).

If he is already claiming UK SP this should have been claimed as part of the SP claim and the International Pension Centre would have handled all this.

The check that you are still alive (the "Life Certificate" in DWP speak) shouldnt be necessary within the EU (at present) as all of this is handled as part of the mutual agreements. If course, with leaving the EU, presumably all of this will fall away and we will be back in the days of requiring to produce the evidence ourselves.
    • wookie6
    • By wookie6 18th Mar 17, 1:56 PM
    • 209 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    wookie6
    Thanks greenglide for the useful response.

I have read comments on MSE in the past citing difficulties in providing evidence each year of still being alive.

I thought claiming via the International Pension Centre overcame that difficulty.
    Originally posted by woolly_wombat
    In the event that the person is living in the UK, finished their working career in the UK and is already claiming UK SP, I would also be interested in whether it is still possible to claim directly from the German authorities?
    Last edited by wookie6; 18-03-2017 at 2:08 PM.
    • JezR
    • By JezR 18th Mar 17, 4:53 PM
    • 1,480 Posts
    • 1,045 Thanks
    JezR

Originally posted by woolly_wombat
    There shouldn't need to be any need to be in regular contact with the German insurance people as it all should be handled through the IPC.

However, there are plenty of reports about of people where things don't go as smoothly as they should be, and this seems to arise from the German end of things, especially when the records have gone astray.
    Last edited by JezR; 18-03-2017 at 4:56 PM.
    • JezR
    • By JezR 18th Mar 17, 4:55 PM
    • 1,480 Posts
    • 1,045 Thanks
    JezR
    In the event that the person is living in the UK, finished their working career in the UK and is already claiming UK SP, I would also be interested in whether it is still possible to claim directly from the German authorities?

No you must claim initially through the country of residency if resident in another EU country.

Was the information supplied when applying for the UK pension, or was this overlooked at the time?
    Last edited by JezR; 18-03-2017 at 4:58 PM.
    • woolly_wombat
    • By woolly_wombat 18th Mar 17, 7:36 PM
    • 453 Posts
    • 265 Thanks
    woolly_wombat
    Normally the accrued benefits overseas where there is a mutual agreement (all the EU countries) can be paid along with the UK state pension.
    Originally posted by greenglide
    What about the situation where someone might wish to claim an EU pension (e.g. from France) before their UK pension?

Is that possible?

The last time I phoned the IPC they instantly demanded chapter and verse on my OH's entitlement to a French pension and, as I was enquiring on his behalf, I was a bit reluctant to engage fully.
    • wookie6
    • By wookie6 19th Mar 17, 8:41 PM
    • 209 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    wookie6
    Was the information supplied when applying for the UK pension, or was this overlooked at the time?
    This was overlooked at the time unfortunately.
    • woolly_wombat
    • By woolly_wombat 20th Mar 17, 3:43 PM
    • 453 Posts
    • 265 Thanks
    woolly_wombat
    This was overlooked at the time unfortunately.
    What is the normal retirement age for their German pension?

I have just spoken to the International Pension Centre and they have told me that it's possible to claim the different state pensions at different ages.

Get your relative to give them a ring. I found them very helpful.
    • wookie6
    • By wookie6 21st Mar 17, 8:00 PM
    • 209 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    wookie6
    What is the normal retirement age for their German pension?
    I believe its 65 but need to confirm. Thanks, I'll tell them to call the IPC.
    • eastcorkram
    • By eastcorkram 21st Mar 17, 8:42 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    eastcorkram
    If someone has say, 45 years NI contributions, never contracted out, I assume they would qualify for full amount of SP.
    If someone had 35 years, plus 10 years contributions in a different EU country, would they get more? ie, the full UK pension, plus something from the other country?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

92Posts Today

1,514Users online

Martin's Twitter