Whats app

Options
Is it possible to get Whats app on a windows 7 laptop? TIA.

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have you tried googling "whatsapp windows 7" or going to the whatsapp website?
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    You'd need Windows 8 (or higher) for the app however if you head over to:

https://web.whatsapp.com

And scan the QR code with your phone it'd be possible to access it that way depending on your web browser.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • maimee_magic
    Options
    Thanks for your replies and yes I had tried google first but as 20aday said it came up as windows 8 onwards. I've got it on my iphone but wanted to use it on laptop whilst on holiday. I buy a dongle for the laptop.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Be aware that whatsapp on a computer is not stand alone and needs to connect to your phone to send and recieve messages.

It just provides a more convenient way to use it when at a computer.

So from the sound of your post is not likely what you want.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    Be aware that whatsapp on a computer is not stand alone and needs to connect to your phone to send and recieve messages.

After reading this thread, I have just installed it on my Win 10 tablet.

You need to scan a QR code using the WhatsApp ap on your phone to set it up and after that, as said above, your phone needs to be on with an active internet connection for it to work.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks for your replies and yes I had tried google first but as 20aday said it came up as windows 8 onwards. I've got it on my iphone but wanted to use it on laptop whilst on holiday. I buy a dongle for the laptop.

Whatsapp won't work as you are wanting, there is no app to use it solely on the laptop, the laptop requires your phone to be connected and itself having working data. Basically you type the message on the laptop and it then wirelessly transfers to your phone to send.

There are other messengers that will work on your laptop without a connected phone, for example Telegram.
    ====
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport