IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Claim Form, Different Address, Appeal

Options
Hello,

I am newbie and I have gone through the newbie page. I tried to search thread that suits my issues but I could not find. So apology if my questions are already answered.

Today I got Claim Form from Nathampton County Court, claimed by Gladstones Solicitors in favour of PCM (Parking Control Management UK Ltd), issued on 14th Oct, 2016 for £230.

I got multiple letters from PCM for exceed time limit parking in front of Tesco, Train Station, Hayes. Evidence Photos in their system shows my standing car at 11:26 and another pic with PCN ticket at 11:56 ( an excess of 10 min). I think they do not record exact entry and exit time.

I am handicapped currently and going through operations and so I live with my friend for help and my car is registered in different address where my colleague live. All letters were never opened but returned to sender with note "Return to Sender, Recipient is in available at this address".

But this time I opened and found Claim Form. I have :
1) applied for - Acknowledgment of Service in MoneyClaim website to defend
2) Today, My friend in favour of me appealed in PCM website and wrote following msg ( as he told me):
Hello PCM,
I do not live at car registered address as I can not walk normally and live with my friend & undergoing many operations. I never receieved your letters and suddenly today, one of the resident gave me this Claim Form. Car was driven by my foreigner friend when he visited UK. He did not inform me about PCN. I have seen the evidence pics and I have saved in my compyter. Kindly note that:

1) I entered at 11:26 am and PCN time is 11:56 means only 30 min , which means excess time is 10 min only, which is withing grace duration of 10 min.
2) From the evidence, there are empty spaces in the parking area

From above points, there was no business loss for you in 10 min and any one could park in the empty space.Moreover, amount you claimed is too high for me.

kindly cancel the PCN and Court Thing on humanity ground.
Thanks.

My questions are:

1) Do I have ground to defend the case or should I pay without more hassle and burden ?
2) As my car is registerd in differnt address from where I live, will I lose case? Note that PCM Ltd knows it as my friend mentioned in Apeal
3) Will court consider that I never received letters from them as it was always returned to them and my friend did not give me except today?
4) If I lose the case, how much I will pay? And will it affect my credit history?
5) Any info that will help me.

Your help is highly appreciated. Tons of thanks.

Regads,
sheikhazad

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Easiest to show you this answer to a similar query:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=71481215#post71481215

Appealing was pointless but it won't matter. You will not lose a case just because your car was registered at a colleague's address and if you do lose at a hearing then it can't affect your credit rating if you then pay what the Judge decides. Or if you miss court deadlines so don't do that! Most Gladstones cases we see here do not proceed to a hearing although we are aware lots do, as recorded in the Parking Prankster's Blogs (Google search: 'you've been Gladstoned Parking Prankster').

BUT you do need to update your proper address with the DVLA immediately or they can fine you!

Do as the linked thread says, do forum search for 'defence incoherent Gladstones' which finds you previously written defences like on bigsej's thread.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • sheikhazad
    Options
    Hello Coupon-mad,

Thanks a lot for your reply. Kindly help me in clarify:
    1) Car registration address should be the place car is kept? If I say car is kept with my friend, should it be okay if I do not change address to where I live?

2) As I am unfamiliar with these court things, can you pls suggest me any groups who can handle my case with minimum fees? I heard about ParkingCowboys and ParkingAppeals but my case is through court now, not appeal stage. Can you please guide me who can handle?

Thanks a lot.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As I am unfamiliar with these court things
    Can you please guide me who can handle?

Seems like you'll need a lot of personal help. You might be better off talking to your local Citizens Advice Bureau who can guide you through the process step by step.

This location is also a PCM hotspot. There are lots of people with claims for this location. Your local MP also knows about it so someone from his office may be able to help too.
  • sheikhazad
    sheikhazad Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 October 2016 at 10:26PM
    Options
    Thanks a lot.Its not easy option for me to go to Citizen Advice. I will get more info then make a draft of defense, and kindly give feedback.

1) i) Can I say I was not the driver? Will I need to disclose driver? If so can I say it was my foreigner friend who has left UK now?
    ii) Or will it be better to accept that i was driver ?
    iii)Or can I say my foreigner friend was driver and I was sitting in car?
    What is best option out of above three?

2) If I accept ii) or iii) above, can I say that I need grace time as I can't walk normally (I do not have disabled badge even though I can show proof of my surgery and treatment which mentions address which is different form registration address)?

3) Can I say I could not appeal as I was undergoing treatment and living with my friends? Will it make case not in favour of me due to different addresses ( registration address and where I live) ? Or will it be better to avoid to mention it that can reach address issue?

4) PCM/Galdstone doesn't provide contract with Landlord of parking space?

- Is it already included in the defense from Prankster in next comment? => PD 16 paras 7.3 – 7.5 (1) //a copy of the contract or documents constituting the agreement....//

5) Signage, can I say it was not clearly readable from passenger's seat? Do I need to enclose pics of Signage? If I get down I can easily read, not sure from passenger's seat.

Or what is said in the defense from Prankster in next comment is enough ? => 6. b. & c. // A copy of any contract it is alleged was in place (e.g. copies of signage)...//

What are the other points, I can give in my defense?

Thanks
  • sheikhazad
    sheikhazad Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 October 2016 at 9:40PM
    Options
    Here is the Defense argument as suggested by Prankster by email. I will add more points based on ur suggestions and reply to above Q.

Defence Argument

1. The Particulars of Claim do not disclose any reasonable grounds for bringing the claim and are an abuse of the court’s process or otherwise likely to obstruct the just disposal of the proceedings.
    2. The particulars fail to comply with Civil Procedure Rule 16.4 and Practice Direction 16, paragraphs 7.3 – 7.5
    CPR 16.4 Contents of the particulars of claim
    (1) Particulars of claim must include –
    (a) a concise statement of the facts on which the claimant relies
    (b) if the claimant is seeking interest, a statement to that effect and the details set out in paragraph (2);
    ---
    (e) such other matters as may be set out in a practice direction.
    PD 16 paras 7.3 – 7.5
    7.3 Where a claim is based upon a written agreement:
    (1) a copy of the contract or documents constituting the agreement should be attached to or served with the particulars of claim and the original(s) should be available at the hearing, and
    (2) any general conditions of sale incorporated in the contract should also be attached (but where the contract is or the documents constituting the agreement are bulky this practice direction is complied with by attaching or serving only the relevant parts of the contract or documents).
    7.4 Where a claim is based upon an oral agreement, the particulars of claim should set out the contractual words used and state by whom, to whom, when and where they were spoken.
    7.5 Where a claim is based upon an agreement by conduct, the particulars of claim must specify the conduct relied on and state by whom, when and where the acts constituting the conduct were done.
    3. As an example as to why this prevents a defence being filed at this time, a parking charge can be for trespass, breach of contract or a contractual charge. All these are treated differently in law and require a different defence. The wording of any contract will naturally be a key element in this matter, and a copy of the alleged contract has never been provided to the Defendant
    4. The claimant’s solicitors are serial abusers of the court process in this manner. A sample is attached at the end of this defence.
    5. The Defence therefore asks the court to strike out the claim as having no reasonable prospect of success as currently drafted.
    6. Alternatively, the Defendant asks that the claimant is required to file particulars which comply with practice directions and include at least the following information
    a. Whether the matter is being brought for trespass, breach of contract or a contractual charge, and an explanation as to the exact nature of the charge
    b. A copy of any contract it is alleged was in place (e.g. copies of signage)
    c. How any contract was concluded (if by performance, then copies of signage maps in place at the time)
    d. Whether keeper liability is being claimed, and if so copies of any notice to driver/notice to keeper
    e. Whether the Claimant is acting as agent or principal, together with a list of documents they will rely on in this matter
    f. If charges over and above the initial charge are being claimed, the basis on which this is being claimed
    g. If interest charges are being claimed, the basis on which this is being claimed
    7. Once these particulars have been filed, the Defendant asks for reasonable time to file a defence

I believe the facts stated in this Defence Statement are true.

……………………………………………………. ………………………
    (Defendant) (Date)
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    OK, I have given you some advice on pepipoo as well (as SchoolRunMum):

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=109430

HTH, just add the extra bits to the Prankster's defence.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure