London hotels early July

Options
I am debating visiting London alone for two nights in early July. Want somewhere central - traveling by train (St Pancras). The Premier Inns are £130-150 a night!

Want a hotel with good visitor rating.

If nothing suitable, where else in the Uk do you suggest?

Comments

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,834 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 24 March 2017 at 10:21PM
    Options
    We've stayed at the Covent Garden Travelodge a few times and always found it pretty good value for a 'no frills' hotel , although not been there for a couple of years now. It's in a central location (between Holburn & Covent Garden tube stations) and seems to have good recent reviews on tripadvisor. Depending on the exact dates you should be able to get it for under £100 a night.

Unfortunately the days of the Travelodge sales where I set the alarm for the wee small hours to book rooms for £9 a night are long gone.....

what sort of break are you looking for (shopping, sightseeing, culture ?) and where would you be travelling from if you want recommendations for other parts of the uk ?
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,527 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    You may be too early for Premierinn. They appear to work like train tickets and cheaper nights aren't released until 10-12 weeks in advance.

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Newcastle upon Tyne.

Premier inn on the quayside is excellent.

As is the shopping and the sight seeing
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • w211
    w211 Posts: 700 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hotel Tonight app may have last minute deals (though you can book a week in advance).

Might also be worth searching for good quality hostels with private rooms.
  • susancs
    susancs Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    Options
    Finsbury Park has a new Travelodge and it is 2 stops on the tube (5 mins) from Kings Cross and 5 mins walk from there. It seems to be about £60 a night in July (avoid a Saturday as more expensive).
    Reviews
    https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186338-d10303670-Reviews-Travelodge_London_Finsbury_Park_hotel-London_England.html
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    daveyjp wrote: »
    You may be too early for Premierinn. They appear to work like train tickets and cheaper nights aren't released until 10-12 weeks in advance.

Ok thanks.
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,137 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I regularly go to London for the weekend alone and never pay more than £100 a night. There is so much hotel capacity in London that there are always late deals available so I never book more than 2-3 days in advance.

Some tips
    1 Look a bit further out. With the 24 hour Tube and the night bus network it's easy to get about
    2. Look at more business areas such as the City or Docklands which always have a lot of empty rooms at the weekend
    3. If you fancy gamble go for one of the "Secret Hotel" type deals
    4. Don't get hung up on facilities if you only need somewhere to sleep for a few hours, shower and leave. If you are alone then you can rough it a little.
  • Tuesday_Tenor
    Tuesday_Tenor Posts: 998 Forumite
    edited 31 March 2017 at 3:39PM
    Options
    A good option for single travellers to Central London out of term-time is B&B in university rooms. Loads of single rooms, priced accordingly.
    Get good reviews. I have used elsewhere, though not yet in London.

http://www.universityrooms.com/en/city/london/book/rooms/local
    Read the details as all properties/facilities/meal options are different.

Connaught House in Tavistock Square is only 5 mins walk from St. Pancras.

I like the location of Bankside House on the South Bank, but it's not coming up with availability for early July.

Well worth considering this option.

Edit: I did say check details. Connaught Hall doesn't seem to have wifi, and breakfast is in another building. But that's why it's only £47/night. Plenty of other options with better facilities for under £80.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure