Tales from the Avenue

Options

Comments

• TalesfromtheAvenue
    Options
    Thanks for dropping Pmo2.
    Yes, I'm so thankful for the clothes, it's a huge help and saved me a small fortune!

Well, it's turning into a long and pretty rubbish week tbh. I've been feeling really down this week about things and life in general, but am feeling a little more positive tonight, so I hope it lasts.

I spent £5.62 on two (2nd hand) books on Amazon today for myself. They're self-help type books, so I'm hoping they will be value for money! The money has been taken out of my 'allowance' for the month on YNAB.

DS and I went to B&Q after school and bought some paint for £15 (which will be going back at the weekend after I saw the actual colour when I got it home!). I ended up painting the walls tonight with the original paint I had and it looks really nice now it's all done.
    I know, I'm a nightmare.

We went grocery shopping, being as quick as possible, as anyone with a child will know grocery shopping is not a great experience with kids! Spent £19-odd from the grocery budget and £6 on tea and drinks and a cake for DS in the caf!.

Have booked a plumber to come and install a bath and replace the shower in the bathroom in a ouple of weeks. The bathroom in this house needed a lot of work when I moved in and we've been unable to use the bath for the past 3 months. I love a good soak and DS likes playing in the bath too, so I will be so glad when it's done. I have bought the bath, taps, new towel rail, tiles etc, so just need to get a shwer (when I know which one to buy) and the flooring. I can tile, so will be doing that myself to save some money. I have the money put aside for the work and remaining materials needed, but that alongside the doors and windows I'm having replaced will clear my savings. Time to start saving again then and work on painting 3 more bedrooms eventually - mine and the two spares, DS's was the priority when we moved in.

One of my ebay bundles has a bid on it - only £1.04! - but a few more watchers on both items, so I'm hoping the bids start going up soon.

I've packed lunch for tomorrow for the pair of us, painted, cleaned up, had a shower and am about to go up for an early night with my book.

Night all

Ave
    x
    :jDebt Free :j
    Savings targets:
    Emergency fund: £412.67/£1000
    Holiday fund: £30/£353
    Mortgage overpayments: A/C 01: £0/£340 A/C 02: £0/£2364
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hope you enjoyed the meal out, free child's meal sounds good.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • TalesfromtheAvenue
    Options
    Thanks Bobarella, it wasn't great, but did the job of filling me up and DS enjoyed! :)
    Savings targets:
  • TalesfromtheAvenue
    Options
    Still keeping up to date with YNAB and really feeling the benefits. I can see I have money to cover everything and some surplus at the moment, whereas, if I look at the actual numbers of the bank balance I'd normally be worried and give up as it seems low, but I know I have enough and how much I have left in each category, it's great!

I receive a partial refund today for something, so I know have enough to cover the defecit in the house pot and the rest has been shifted over to the holiday pot. Still having to chase customer services for the full refund and a second refund I'm due, but hopefully it will all catch up soon. Such a nuisance when people just can't do what they're supposed to, especially large companies who should know better.

I shall take the paint back today for a refund (£15), so there'll be another little bit in the pot. :)
    Savings targets:
  • hugglemonster
    hugglemonster Posts: 1,244 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    HI, I'm still a bit hit and miss with ynab but I just need to remember to look at those figures rather than bank account to make sure I have enough to cover everything. Still no where near using last months pay to fund this month though! That would be amazing.

I hope the rest of the refunds come through quickly for you, companies are quick to take money but not to give back.

Any plans for the weekend?

H x
  • Bobarella
    Options
    Large companies are often the worst. They can afford to run the clock as it were...Hope it comes back soon.

• TalesfromtheAvenue
    Options
    I'm nowhere near that yet either HM, but we can dream eh?!

Thanks Bobarella, it should be cleared by Tuesday... Apparently.

I've had a much more pleasant weekend than I was expecting so far. As I said previously. I've been quite down about a lot of things lately and am struggling with feeling very low, but this weekend has ticked along nicely and I've felt quite good about it. OH and I have spent lots of time together which has been really nice; not doing anything special, just cooking and watching a few films and having some much needed laughs. I am missing DS though today as he has been at his Dad's since early this morning and I won't see him now until after school tomorrow. We had great snuggles early this morning though and he brought a book into my room early and read me a story, bless him! He's only 6, but his reading has really come on leaps and bounds this year to the point he can read his story books really well, I'm so proud of him.

I've been out to home bargains this morning and picked up lots of household bits we needed, some big pots and compost to plant our seed potatoes in and snuck a few Easter treats in the trolley too. Our local sainsbury's was next on the agenda and I picked up a few ys bargains there. Still well within both the grocery and 'spending' money budgets for the month. Ynab is really helping me to think before I spend for once, I just wish I'd got my head around it over a year ago when I first bought it!

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday all
    Ave
    X
    Savings targets:
  • Bobarella
    Options
    Awww hope DS is back with you soon. Well done on his reading!

• TalesfromtheAvenue
    Options
    Thanks Bob, he'll be back today, I'll pick him up from school later :)

I helped OH clear out his house a bit yesterday and introduced him to the world of gumtree and fleabay, he's already made £60 by selling a few things no longer needed, so that was a good start.

£5.55 from Quidco hit the bank account this morning, so that's been swept over to the holiday pot.
    A refund of £15 has also been transferred into that pot as it's not needed elsewhere. I'm 3/4 of the way to the target of £400 for that pot, so only £100 to save in the next 5 weeks which will be doable with a little bit of effort.

Ebay acutions are ending tomorrow, I don't think they're going to make me rich but it's all pennies I guess! One is at 99p still and one at £2.70.
    Tonight I need to make a few orders for my little business and then I shall start on sorting the bags and bits for selling.

The refunds I was chasing should be cleared in my paypal account tomorrow and wednesday, I even phoned Paypal to query it over the weekend. Fingers crossed it actually does...
    Savings targets:
  • TalesfromtheAvenue
    Options
    Forgot to mention, I didn't need to buy DS new shoes after all as remembered I had a new pair in the wardrobe that my parents bought him a while back, but were too big. Tried them on and they fit him perfectly, so that's saved around £30 and a shopping trip with a shopping-hating 6 year old, it's a double win!
    Savings targets:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts