Flo's Debt Free Diary

Options
Hi there,
After reading through many of the debt free diaries, I feel brave enough to start my own.
In many ways 2015 has been one of the best years of my life. I finally fulfilled my dream of getting a full time ‘adult job’ (not that I’m implying some jobs are more worthy than others) which meant for pretty much the first time in three years I have been able to pay rent and bills without borrowing the money off my boyfriend, or living off him. My previous jobs were wonderful, I worked for great people and enjoyed the work, I had three jobs, working for my friends animation company part time, working part time in an independent arts Centre, and volunteering for essential admin experience in an art gallery. I loved all the jobs, but despite working 6 days a week, I was making negative income, and that was before I bought anything non-essential (such as clothes, which is almost an addiction for me). I have five credit cards, which I foolishly gained the majority of in 2014, when I was working less and needed money. Did I spend the money on anything useful, like paying bills or food shopping? No, I went out all the time, I bought clothes, I bought magazine subscriptions, I got takeaways, I bought gifts for my friends, even though they knew the money was coming from dodgy credit cards and usually tried to stop me. I thought I’d be ok, I had no thoughts about what this would do to me financially or to my credit rating. I was an idiot.
I also used to smoke, but have finally kicked that habit 13 weeks ago today. I was smoking so much, ruining my health and straining my relationship with my boyfriend who detests smoking. Hiding the smoking habit from him made me feel like the worst person in the world, I am not a dishonest person by nature, but I was addicted to smoking and to shopping. I don’t want to make it seem like I’m making excuses for myself, but I didn’t learn much financial guidance from my family. My mother was an alcoholic and used the money from her job to buy booze at an increasingly alarming rate, my family was not well off to begin with, and the strain of this caused my father to lose his business and go bankrupt. We were on benefits for many years, my grandparents bought us food out of their savings and pension. I used to spend my pocket money as soon as I got it because otherwise my mum would steal it to buy alcohol. As a result I never learnt to save.
I don’t want to seem like I had a terrible life, I consider my life blessed in many ways. I have a great relationship with both parents, though they are no longer together, which is fine. Ultimately I knew I was loved by both, and to hate my mum for being an alcoholic would be wrong as alcoholism is a disease. I can’t hate her for that.
Due to these traumatic events and others, I suffer from depression and until this year the last few years have been very bad mental health wise. I have suffered from depression and panic attacks and am on a large dosage of anti-depressants and anti-psychotics, which actually seem to be working as I feel so happy with my life, except when I think about my debts.
I have finally paid off a debt I owe to my brother of 540, but I owe my sister a much smaller debt and my boyfriend a far, far larger debt. This is in addition to my credit card and overdraft debt of 5150 which the payments for I am just about meeting. Each month I have been paying the minimum and interest each month, and each month I then spend the minimum again. This cannot happen any longer.
So 2016 will be the year I get serious about paying off my debts, and I have to live with a realistic budget and accept I cannot live the way I have been. It will be hard, but I’m 26 and I need to think about the future. I want to marry my boyfriend, I want a pet, I want a house, I want to continue my studies with an MA and another degree, If it wasn’t for my bad job decisions and even worse spending habits I would have been able to do a couple of these things.
The root of my money problem stems from going abroad to do an internship through a company when I left University. I borrowed the money of my brother, originally 1700 which I thought I could easily pay back. The company was fraudulent however, and I left with nothing except a debt to my brother, a debt on my credit card and all my saving gone. Due to the dodgy company status, after I consulted a lawyer, it would cost me over 3grand to take them to court, with no guarantee of winning due to a technical loop hole the company could go through, which is less than what I am owed. I had never used a credit card before that trip, I have had to leave it and try to put it out of my mind, the anger I feel drives me insane and I have to put it out of my mind in order to not make my mental health worse.
So this is the time to put my finances in order. After reading the other debt free diaries, I know that this will be the way to chronicle my journey and get support, which will be great. It’s nice to know I am not alone and that there are others like me. I look forward to sharing with you.
Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments

Comments

• Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ok, so this is what I've been doing to understand how much I'm spending.

Ever since April I've been keeping every receipt I receive when I buy something. Over the last few weeks I've been cataloguing them on Excel spreadsheets, one for each month. I divided the purchases into catagories, such as 'essential food' (usual food shops), 'non essential food' (when ever i buy lunch or breakfast at a train station or food which I could have bought from home), 'Health' (dentist appointments, health items like nicotine gum), 'toilletries', 'clothing', 'travel' and things like that. Obviously it's not an exact data as I didn't get a receipt from everywhere and foolishly i didn't keep a spending diary.
    For April to September I then did a six month excel spreadsheet, working out how much i spent in each category, and coming up with a monthly spend based on the six months of data. I then deducted this from what my disposable income actually was (about 150 pounds after bills come out) and the data shows that I was getting into debt at the rate of 350 pounds each month! I think this was based on when I had my credit card limits extended each month and in case you can't guess I usually spent this within a matter of days. I did use my last credit extension to pay back my brother, which I know in the long run is stupid, but I feel so much better knowing I've paid him back and that I can face him when I see him at Christmas.

This method wasn't as time consuming as you think, for me it was as I saved all my receipts up to November and only started inputting them on Excel a few weeks ago. I am now going to carry on with this, as I want to see if the next six months will be leaner in terms of spending.

I have been an idiot with finances, I have spent more than I earn, I have spent on myself and as a result I have to be a bit more cautious with Christmas shopping, and worse of all I have been buying myself things when I could have been paying back the people, or cards, I owe money to. I have learnt what an idiot I've been, I feel like I have ruined my life, and I am determined to start saving it.
  • Florence_J
    Options
    At the rate of payments I'm currently making, and if nothing changes financially either for the better or the worse, as long as I stick to the budget I have set out, I will be debt free in 2 and a half years. So just before I'm 30. Which I guess is still young enough to set things straight.

I am too scared to check my credit rating, as the last time I did it, when I was a lot better debt wise, I was only a slightly high fair rating. I can't imagine what it will be now, but I realise my mistakes will cost me more money in the future if I ever apply for a loan or a mortgage. Which means my beloved partner, who has never had any money worries because he is so frugal and good and sensible with money, will be paying more as well.

I'm on the start of a path to get me towards a better future. Here goes.
  • Florence_J
    Options
    By the end of 2016 I want to have paid off 40% of my credit card and overdraft debt, with 1k paid off on the card with the biggest limit (2.25k), so I'm looking at paying off 1030-1130 by the end of next year. I also want to save 25 pounds a month giving me 30 at the end of the year. This is being earmarked to help with Christmas, but I want to build and build my savings until I have the recommended 4 months worth of expenses saved. This will take a long time to reach that point.

I normally get quite a lot of money at christmas, so half will go on debt repayments, a quarter will go on savings, and a quarter will help ease me into January, but I am hoping to use it to stock pile 'supplies' for the upcoming birthdays that seem to follow too soon after christmas in my family. I have only bought about half of my christmas presents, so am hoping to buy the rest quite cheaply. I stupidly signed up for two office christmas parties, an office christmas buffet, and two office secret santas.

I am completely signing myself off buying clothes for at least three months, until my birthday at the end of March. There are a few reasons for this. 1) The initial compulsion to buy clothes, particularly first thing on payday, never seems to go away. I can't buy a few things at the start of each month and be happy, the only way to satisfy my addiction is to buy a few things each week! So I have to learn to find more fulfilling happiness. 2) As a result of buying so many clothes, I have such a large wardrobe that my rail in the wardrobe fell off, with all the clothes, at four in the morning on Monday, waking up me and my boyfriend. That is sign enough that I have too much. 3) Despite having plenty of clothes, I tend to wear the same things all the time. Or i wear only the new things until i get bored of them. and finally 4) I go to slimming world as i want to lose weight. I am about 4 and a half stone heavier than the maximum recommended weight for my height (5 foot 8) so what's the point in buying so many clothes that are either going to be too big for me in later months, or that i'll have to spend more money on to alter?

So my challenges for Jan 2016 are to wear every item of clothing i own at least once, and really be creative with my choices, and to stick to my budget.

Tomorrow begins with me getting up early enough to have breakfast and coffee at home rather than buying it for my train commute to work. I have made my packed lunch, and it's far healthier than anything I could have bought for lunch at work (i am always tempted by the 3 pound cheese paninis rather than the 1.50 salad, which shows you everything about me).

I have taken out the money i need for the rest of my expenses until the next payday, fortunately just before christmas. I have put each separate expense money into it's own envelope and have given the money envelopes to my boyfriend to look after. This way I won't have access to them and spend them and then need to borrow more money off my boyfriend. 10 pounds for the next two weeks of slimming world, 20 pounds for christmas meal number 1, and 10 pounds for christmas meal number 2, which is just for the shared taxi home, as the meal has been paid for steadily through out the summer.

I need to learn discipline, discipline over food, discipline over getting up early, discipline over money most of all. I feel a little like I am entering a jail sentence, but it's better than debtors jail!
  • Hi flo well done for posting and deciding to takle your debts. As many posters will I am sure testify getting to grips with your finances puts you firmly in control of your life rather than the debts ruling you. So it's more like being the driver rather than the passenger - not like being in prison. You are not punishing yourself your are taking charge and that will truly soon feel liberating. I think cash envelopes can be very clear if you are used to just using your Card. There is nothing like having to scrape around in your purse. For the bus fare home to make you determined! Good luck and keep going.
  • Sellurgranny
    Options
    :hello: Hi Flo,

Didnt want to read and run ..welcome to the DFDs you will get lots of inspiration, good advice and support here. We are all in the same boat to a greater or lesser extent.

Don't beat yourself up for your past mistakes with money, the important thing is that you are now doing something about it.

Well done on your new job - I am sure with a regular income you'll be able to budget your spending properly. Yes there will be plenty of bumps in the road but the important thing is that you see them for what they are - just temporary blips. Dont lose sight of the bigger picture.

Good luck with your DFW journey.

SurG xx
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Good luck Florence. You sound very motivated to change and like you know where you went astray in the first place. Which is half the battle
    Wishing you all the best for 2016 and kicking the debt. Subscribing now.
    Bob
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • Florence_J
    Options
    Thank you for all the lovely comments guys, It feels really good to be with people in the same boat, either currently or in the past.

I will keep you up to date as the journey progresses. The next bit step is cutting up my credit cards once and for all. I gave them months ago to my boyfriend to hide, then I accidentally found them one day while putting his socks away and knowing they were there meant I could still use them when I needed. I will also remove the card information on websites like amazon and paypal so even if I don't have the physical card I can't use them online either.

Using my card to pay for everything, either credit or debit, was a bad move as I would use it without thinking and then be too scared to check the balance, and when I finally did would discover I had only 40 pounds to last the rest of the month!

I won't be afraid to tackle my finances straight on. Luckily I got over the 'too-scared-to-open-bank-letters" stage ages ago and in fact love receiving them as i can see exactly what i owe in minimum payments, charges and interest, meaning i can make accurate payments.

I am really enjoying being here and reading the other diaries and posts for inspiration. I will keep going. I want to start 2016 positively!

I may watch some superscrimpers or other money shows for inspiration!

Packed lunch tomorrow, Jog and maybe Gym as well after work, No coffee at station or work canteen (we have a starbucks, will the temptation never end!?!)

I am going to set myself the challenge of finding 100 things in the house to try and sell. My BF is always telling me I have too much stuff (I have around 300 beloved books....which haven't been read yet) and I do have hoarder tendencies, but I have to ask myself 'is this item worth me remaining in debt for longer if i don't sell it?" that should make it easy to decide which is tat and which is gold.

Also i have finally paid off my 25 pound library fine, meaning when i want to buy a new book, i can get it out of the library instead.

Thanks for the support and i hope to catch up with how i am doing tomorrow!
  • Kitten868
    Kitten868 Posts: 1,785 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well done on taking your first steps and coming here. I'm new too. Like you I find it hard paying debt that I feel wasn't my fault (turned out the car I bought was an illegal crashed car) but now it's just money I owe so I can be debt free. I get really cross sometimes and can't believe how stupid I was but its done. Hindsights always 2020.
    I'm on a low income so my strongest tactic has been selling my stuff. I feel like everything in my house is stuff I bought with money I didn't have so why should I keep it? It wasnt really mine in the first place.
    You could try vinted for your clothes? I've never used it but I haven't bought new clothes since I was 18.
    Are you tackling all your debts at once or are you paying the min on them all and chunking bigger bits off one? I attack one at a time x
    Loan 1 £5200/£8000
    Loan 2 £300/£5800
    Total £5500/£13800
  • Kitten868
    Kitten868 Posts: 1,785 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just realised I sound like my own baliff haha
    Loan 1 £5200/£8000
    Loan 2 £300/£5800
    Total £5500/£13800
  • Florence_J
    Options
    Thanks Kitten868, I will give that website a look!

I'll be paying the debts each a little bit at a time. It seems to be the only way I can do it at the moment, but any additional cash I get/make will go on the biggest debt.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family