Corporate Bonds - a quick recommendation please!

Options
Im a cautious investor. Im currently getting 1.9% on my cash savings. Im not confident enough in the market to invest in shares, but Ive heard bonds is a 'halfway house' between cash savings and shares in regards to safety.
If this is the case, can anyone recommend a good bond (bond fund?) that will give me a better rate than cash savings but without the risk of shares? Hargreaves seems has recommended M&G UK Inflation linked corporate bond, but theres an annual charge of 1% which (I dont think) makes it any better than my cash savings.

Comments

• Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Bonds are usually classed as this, but currently they are inflated because, as you say, low interest rates. A lot of people are not recommending bonds as they think they are in a bubble.

You will find most funds have a 1% annual management charge if they are actively managed. Not sure why you think that makes it no better than your cash savings. It has returned 6.3% in the last year.

It maybe worthwhile going for a mixture of bonds and equities.
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What you seek is currently so much sought after that it's pretty much ceased to exist.

I use a combination of bond ETFs, strategic bond funds, some infrastructure holdings such as HICL and JLIF, and cash. I'm happy to hold the first three but fully accept that they are not cash and are not a substitute for cash.

If you can't face any loss under any circumstances then stick with cash.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • vertex
    vertex Posts: 181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thankyou.

gadgetmind: Can you give me an example or two of what bond ETFs and/or strategic bond funds you are invested with? There is just so many to choose from Im lost! I just need to know one or two just as a springboard to compare and investigate with others.
  • Ark_Welder
    Ark_Welder Posts: 1,878 Forumite
    Options
    What you should take into consideration is that the prices of bonds - and therefore, bond funds - are not fixed and you could end up eventually selling at a price that is lower than that paid. So like equities, you still have the potential to make a loss. If you are not happy with this possibility then bonds and bond funds are best avoided.
    Living for tomorrow might mean that you survive the day after.
    It is always different this time. The only thing that is the same is the outcome.
    Portfolios are like personalities - one that is balanced is usually preferable.

• pqrdef
    pqrdef Posts: 4,552 Forumite
    Options
    Gilts are what banks hold their "cash" in. They do have a market price, which fluctuates, but less so for short-term gilts, where the price is dragged towards the redemption value. So short-term gilts are as safe as cash, and as unexciting.

If you have a particular end date and you can hold bonds to redemption at that date, you don't have to worry about what the market price is doing. This is what the pension funds do.

Bond funds vary in how much freedom the manager has. Some (especially ETFs) are quite passive - their duty is to deliver exposure to a defined sector, and it's entirely down to you to deide when to get in and out of that sector.

With others, the manager aims to get an edge by outguessing the market within defined limits, wide or narrow. The successful (lucky) gilt fund manager will have been in long-term gilts while prices were rising and will be in short-term gilts when they fall. Managers of more strategic funds may be able to switch between government bonds, corporate bonds and cash. Many "income" funds are substantially in bonds, but move some money into shares when the going looks good.

Everybody knows that gilts are "overpriced" in some sense, but half the market thinks they'll get worse before they get better. A lot of people would like to see even looser monetary policy if they can get away with it. Inflation-linked prices aren't yet discounting the fear of double-figure inflation, but maybe soon they will be.

The M&G inflation-linked fund is at the cautious end of the sector, 90% in high-grade bonds. It aims to get an edge out of the belief that the default risk in corporate bonds is over-estimated by the market. The price and yield figures are after taking out the 1% charge.

On the other hand, junk bond funds have also done well lately, on a grab-the-money-and-run basis.

A fund that may be worth looking at is Troy Trojan, which aims to achieve capital protection by balancing blue-chip companies, index-linked gilts, gold and cash, to hedge different risks against each other.

(Past performance is not a guide to future performance.)
    "It will take, five, 10, 15 years to get back to where we need to be. But it's no longer the individual banks that are in the wrong, it's the banking industry as a whole." - Steven Cooper, head of personal and business banking at Barclays, talking to Martin Lewis
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    pqrdef wrote: »
    A fund that may be worth looking at is Troy Trojan, which aims to achieve capital protection by balancing blue-chip companies, index-linked gilts, gold and cash, to hedge different risks against each other.

Troy does the investment management for an IT, Personal Assets Trust, which therefore uses the same four-way split. You can visit their website and read their quarterly reports, which are a treasure. You can also check their yield - ca 1.6% p.a. last time I looked. Them's the times we live in.

http://www.patplc.co.uk/Qreport.php
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    vertex wrote: »
    Can you give me an example or two of what bond ETFs and/or strategic bond funds you are invested with?

I mostly use SLXX but have also added ISXF as I have a lot of direct financials exposure, mainly LLPC and NWBD.

For strategic bonds, I mostly use Old Mutual and Kames.

If pushed to pick only one, then I'd go for M&G Optimal Income. This is because it adds some equities, which can both increase returns and (counter-intuitively) reduce volatility.

I suggested you read "Smarter Investing" by Tim Hale and "The Intelligent Asset Allocator" by William Bernstein for background information. Please pop back afterwards.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • socrates
    socrates Posts: 2,889 Forumite
    Options
    Interesting thread - thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business