Probate diy or solicitor

Options
Re form IHT400 for probate.

Very unsure as to diy probate for partners mother, have the above firms, seem very complex. If we made any mistakes in filling in themselves,would we have to pay again to re- submit them. I'm inclined to let solicitor handle it. Probate forms for her father who died a couple of years back were much easier. Ore involved now with house and money.

Comments

• Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    Options
    denwyn wrote: »
    Re form IHT400 for probate.

Very unsure as to diy probate for partners mother, have the above firms, seem very complex. If we made any mistakes in filling in themselves,would we have to pay again to re- submit them. I'm inclined to let solicitor handle it. Probate forms for her father who died a couple of years back were much easier. Ore involved now with house and money.
    It is generally thought that the forms are not a problem if you read the notes carefully and don't rush. Perhaps you should consider completing them all and getting a solicitor to check what you have done. That should savea bundle of money.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,219 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    If the estate is liable for IHT, and/or involves a house, and/or significant gifts or other complications I suggest you use a solicitor. You need to know what is important and what isn't. The forms look complex but we found from our solicitor that much of it is an opportunity to present information. They arent examinations that will marked on having been filled in correctly.

Also, a solicitor will help ensure that the data is presented to avoid paying unnecessary tax. In our case help from the solicitor reduced the IHT liability by nearly enough to pay his charges.
  • denwyn
    denwyn Posts: 193 Forumite
    Options
    Linton wrote: »
    If the estate is liable for IHT, and/or involves a house, and/or significant gifts or other complications I suggest you use a solicitor. You need to know what is important and what isn't. The forms look complex but we found from our solicitor that much of it is an opportunity to present information. They arent examinations that will marked on having been filled in correctly.

Also, a solicitor will help ensure that the data is presented to avoid paying unnecessary tax. In our case help from the solicitor reduced the IHT liability by nearly enough to pay his charges.

Thank for that, there is including the house, bank accounts and isa's ia lot of money involved, probably just over inheritance tax allowance, I am at a loss when it comes to income tax etc. So I think your right in letting a solicitor handle it,for peace of mind as well.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Options
    Thank for that, there is including the house, bank accounts and isa's ia lot of money involved, probably just over inheritance tax allowance, I am at a loss when it comes to income tax etc. So I think your right in letting a solicitor handle it,for peace of mind as well.
    Was the deceased a widow? There might be her late husband's allowance as well bringing it below the IHT limit. Getting it all done by a solicitor is going to cost thousands. If you do all the donkey work you can save a lot.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Chances are it is still a simple estate.

cash holding shates and houses(with contents) are on the simple side.

Some trusts, some pensions/annuities and business assets add complexity.

even if you get solicitors involved you will end up doing a lot of the work as they ask you about the assets anyway.

work through IHT 205 till it tells you to use IHT 400(series) then work through those.

With the forms, the notes and the HMRC manual most people can work out what needs doing and can get help for those areas they are still unsure about.
  • denwyn
    denwyn Posts: 193 Forumite
    Options
    Yes deceased was a widow, there is will, i do belive her late husbands allowance can be passed over to her. It gets a bit more of a problem in that when her husband was alive they put a holiday home up for sale, the sale was in process when he died, and did go through no problem, with the proceeds of the sale being transferred into his wifes account, apparantly there is capital gains tax to be paid on this, i didnt have anything to do with the financial side and this needs sorting as well. Its all a bit of a jumble and i do think for peace of mind we should let a solicitor sort it now.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Options
    Get a quote for the work. You may well be able to save literally thousands by doing the donkey work yourself.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Yes deceased was a widow, there is will, i do belive her late husbands allowance can be passed over to her. It gets a bit more of a problem in that when her husband was alive they put a holiday home up for sale, the sale was in process when he died, and did go through no problem, with the proceeds of the sale being transferred into his wifes account, apparantly there is capital gains tax to be paid on this, i didnt have anything to do with the financial side and this needs sorting as well. Its all a bit of a jumble and i do think for peace of mind we should let a solicitor sort it now.

That will take a bit of sorting out but again should not be too complicated once the facts have been collected.

Solicitor/accountant will just ask for that info which will be most of the work anyway.

Ownership of the house and timings will need looking at.

that should have been sorted as part of the sale and previous estate administration.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure