New Driver & Moving Address

Options
I've had a crazy couple of weeks. I exchanged contracts on a new build that is due for completion in December - and I also passed my driving test! I'm leasing a car which should be delivered by the end of next week and I will obviously need to insure it.

I am a little unsure about what to do in terms of my address as obviously I will be moving within the next couple of months. For my insurance quotes do I use my current address or my new address? I'm assuming the former - but if so what will happen when I move? Is it simply a case of phoning up and informing them I have changed address? Will there be a charge for this? Is it possible to have short-term cover - 3 months for example?

As a new driver my insurance is already very expensive so I want to avoid having to pay even more due to the move if I don't have to - although I feel this maybe inevitable.

Thank you in advance!

:money:

Comments

• cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 September 2017 at 1:57PM
    Options
    You use the address you are living at on the day you take your insurance out, you will then have to inform the company of change of address when you move to your new house.

Some of the cheaper insurance companies will charge for any changes others do not, I am with Direct Line and they do not charge for any changes to their policies but you may have to pay extra if you move to an area they consider more of a risk.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure