Claim on multiple travel insurance policies to overcome single item limit?

Options
Having lost my phone on holidays recently I've run afoul of my lack of awareness and single item limits.

So, to replace my phone of £500 I've been given £250 from my travel insurance (their single item limit)

My question is can I claim on another travel insurance to make up the difference? i.e claim the remaining £250 to get up to the full value of my phone?

I did include the name of my additional insurance provider during my initial claim but that seemed to have no bearing on the final outcome or amount payed out. I've read here in the forums that if you are covered by two policies that the policy providers will split the liability - but that doesn't seem to have happened.

Comments

• tempus_fugit
    tempus_fugit Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 14 September 2017 at 2:58AM
    Options
    It depends on the limit on the other policy as well. It's likely that of there was, say, a limit of £250 on that policy as well then if they shared the payout it would be £125 each and you wouldn't gain from the double insurance. In this case I reckon that the insurer that you claimed from will contact the other insurer and agree a split based on their relative liabilities under the policies.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    expensive lesson for OP and anyone else who choose not to fully go through the T+C
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport