PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Getting Rid of Difficult Lodgers - Please Help!

Options
Hi all

I have just had some difficult lodgers move out and would really appreciate some advice on how to handle the final stages of their departure as I think they're aiming to make it as stressful as possible!

I rented a single room to the first lodger 2 years ago; after about a year she asked if her girlfriend could move in and they would take the double room that was available at that time. I said that was fine, but unfortunately it was many months later that her girlfriend finally moved in, by which time the double room was occupied. They've subsequently been sharing the single room for the last 5 months. Neither of them had a written lodger agreement.

I didn't mention the girlfriend paying any rent or bills at the time (which I really regret now obviously) as it was a pretty casual conversation and I figured we would sort it out once the girlfriend got a job (which she still hasn't) or I would add on additional cost to their rent for the double room to cover it (which then didn't go through). It didn't occur to me that she would begrudge paying her way as I knew them both fairly well - or so I thought - and didn't think they would be !!!!!!!!!!s.

When I gave them notice via email and text I asked that we discuss the financial contribution the girlfriend would make for having stayed in the flat rent-free for 5 months. They ignored both messages completely, and ignored me in person for most of their notice period. Needless to say it made for a really stressful living situation for me.

Now they've left but not returned either set of keys, and demanded the deposit back in full stating that the girlfriend paying bills is a "separate conversation". As the deposit is only £375 I don't feel that I owe them much/any of it given the circumstances.

I guess my questions are -
1. Am I being unreasonable asking for contribution to bills, irrespective of that not being in writing at the outset?
2. At what point can I change the locks and charge them for that? I can't seem to find any clear answers on this one.

I would really appreciate any help, as I'm currently driving myself mad worrying about it. They've literally only moved around the corner too, which doesn't help!

Comments

• Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    1. Yes you should have made it clear upfront, not said many months later and expecting £ retrospectively.

2. Not sure about this. Personally I would charge them for a locksmith to change the locks unless they return the keys, and that's it.
  • leespot
    leespot Posts: 554 Forumite
    Options
    You don't need help getting rid of them - they were already gone. For the deposit, you sound like you want to keep it as a form of payment for her girlfriends share of the rent agreement you never got them to sign....not sure that's possible. On the bright side at least you've got them out :)
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    Lokolo wrote: »
    1. Yes you should have made it clear upfront, not said many months later and expecting £ retrospectively.

2. Not sure about this. Personally I would charge them for a locksmith to change the locks unless they return the keys, and that's it.

Personally I would change the locks in any event.

OP is this something you could do yourself or someone do it for you as a favour?
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Lodgers ... does that mean the deposit wasn't registered with a deposit scheme? If yes, does that mean they'd need to sue the OP to force OP to return the deposit?

OP - I'd suggest changing the locks anyway, even if they return the keys. You've no way of knowing if they had duplicates made up.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    Lodgers ... does that mean the deposit wasn't registered with a deposit scheme? If yes, does that mean they'd need to sue the OP to force OP to return the deposit?

Live-in landlords do not have to protect deposits with a scheme. If the former lodgers want their money back and the OP won't return it then the lodgers would send a letter-before-action and then take the OP to small claims court.
    DoaM wrote: »
    OP - I'd suggest changing the locks anyway, even if they return the keys. You've no way of knowing if they had duplicates made up.

Yes I agree that the OP should change the locks asap. It's one of the easiest DIY jobs and there are lots of videos on YouTube demonstrating how you do it.

I think the OP could legitimately deduct money for replacing the lock (you can get a BSI kitemarked 5-lever mortice lock for £25) but as for the rest of it I'm not sure how it would hold up in court.

If the OP wasn't happy with the situation the OP should have moved the lodger and girlfriend out within a week not let them stay there for 5 months.
  • CVP
    CVP Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    Thanks so much for your replies :)

I could potentially change the locks myself, I've never tried but I was watching some tutorials last night. Failing that there is a really good locksmith that I used before.

The deposit wasn't registered with a deposit scheme, I did wonder what the legal stance is there with returning it. The only record of my even having it is the bank transfer her parents made.

Leespot - Yes I'm definitely much happier now that they're out, now I just need them out of my hair haha.
  • jonmoneybags
    Options
    Do you not have any friends who can help out. I usually get my friend 'big dave' to help me sort out these types of disputes. He is very persuasive.
  • CVP
    CVP Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    Hahaha I did think about that, but sadly I don't know any 'big Dave' types. Luckily it didn't come to that.

Re the bills: I guess this is my own fault because my original lodger was always on about how we were "friends" and that she didn't see me as a landlord anymore. I don't so much as sleep on a friend's sofa for a weekend without repaying the kindness, so I would never dream of living somewhere for months without paying anything. Lesson learned. I guess I'm aggrieved because this is her first place away from home and she has been stroppy and entitled the entire time she's been here, so I feel I've been pretty accommodating with no thanks in return. Hopefully the next landlord will have a different relationship with her.
  • martinsurrey
    martinsurrey Posts: 3,368 Forumite
    Options
    Penitent wrote: »
    Yes, very unreasonable. If there was no agreement, you can't suddenly decide to charge them for it now. (Imagine this: you go to Tesco and buy a TV. Some lovely person helps you get it to your car. The next day you get a call from Tesco saying you need to pay an additional fee for being helped to your car. Would you consider that fair?)

Think about it another way.

You phone a plumber to come out your house to look at a leak, without discussing prices, he comes, does it, and then invoices you

Do you have to pay?

Of course you do, the expectation that you would pay for goods and services you use is customary, so doesn't always need to be explicit.

Does the man in the street expect to pay something if they move into a house to live long term? Yes.

Now agreeing the amount is the tricky part.

OP if I was you, I would give them their deposit in full, and tell them to never darken your door, life's too short sometimes, even if you ARE morally/legally right.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I think it depends a little whether bills were everr mentioned. If you riased the issue then I don't think itwould be unreasonable to expect them to pay spm,ething, even if you had never discussed the spoecifcs. If is was never mentioned at all then I on't think you can legitimately charge. (It's also worth bearing in mind that a second person sharing won't add much to the bills - ou weren't heting or lighting an extra room. Did you actual bills go up at all after she moved in?

Regading the locks, I think it is fair to say that you will charge them for changing the locks if the keys are not returned and also that they haven't technically moved out as longas they are holding on to the keys, so you will also deduct rent for the period until the keys are returned.

in future, even with friends, have somthing in writing.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure