Aviva Power of Attorney issue

Options
Aviva have changed their security so that a person cannot see someone else's policy. Whilst this may seem reasonable, it does mean that I cannot access my fathers home insurance policy. I have power of attorney over his affairs.
I have a "MyAviva" account to access my pension. The changes mean that I cannot set up a new user for my father, as an email address is the first step of setting up a user - mine is already registered for the pension. Aviva suggested that
(a) I set up a new user but they then realised that this is impossible for the email reason above
(b) I get another email address that I could use
(c) they can make any changes to the policy themselves and advise me of the ££ impact.
They confirm that it will mean that a person with PoA will not be able to see two people's information unless they use different email addresses.
Am I alone in thinking this is "strange". I am not renewing the policy

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,572 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I use different email addresses for everything anyway so that would be a non issue for me.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,311 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I would think a different emaii address for a Power of Attorney was prudent to keep information separate for your own.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Options
    Just set an email up for your father, that's what I have done for my mother.
  • tempus_fugit
    Options
    Online systems often use email addresses for usernames these days so it's not really odd or unusual. It's easy to set up new email accounts these days with Google, Yahoo, Outlook or whoever and as has been mentioned above it would be prudent to keep them separate anyway.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just get a new email account setup.
  • Karl.P
    Karl.P Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    If you have a google/gmail email address there is another option of adding "." (full stops) into the email address and they will still be delivered to you.

e.g. if your address is jsmith@gmail.com you can also use j.smith@gmail.com on the same account.

Some email providers also allow additional email address to be associated with the same account (also known as an alias). So for one of these having jsmithaviva@myemail.com would do the trick.

Or has has been said get another email account just for this power of attorney.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure