Receiving carers allowance when on HB

Options
Hi there,

I am currently a full-time foster carer for the local authority and receive housing benefit (I pay roughly £80 a month towards my rent).

My 23 year old son lives with me - he is registered blind. He was receiving low rate care/mobility from DLA, but has recently moved to PIP and they have awarded him high rate care/mobility.

I care for him, and was informed I maybe able to claim carers allowance.

Can anyone please advise if I claim carers allowance, will this affect my housing benefit, and if so, by roughly how much?

Thanks.

Comments

• Jackieboy
    Jackieboy Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    Options
    SunnySides wrote: »
    Hi there,

I am currently a full-time foster carer for the local authority and receive housing benefit (I pay roughly £80 a month towards my rent).

My 23 year old son lives with me - he is registered blind. He was receiving low rate care/mobility from DLA, but has recently moved to PIP and they have awarded him high rate care/mobility.

I care for him, and was informed I maybe able to claim carers allowance.

Can anyone please advise if I claim carers allowance, will this affect my housing benefit, and if so, by roughly how much?

Thanks.

I'm not sure that you can claim to be caring for your son for 35 hours a week when you're already a full time foster carer.
  • tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,218 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Jackieboy wrote: »
    I'm not sure that you can claim to be caring for your son for 35 hours a week when you're already a full time foster carer.

Why some people have to work a full time job and care full time for their loved ones!

As long as any potential earnings are below the CA earnings threshold OP will be doing nothing wrong.

As for HB you should get more if I remember rightly as you will start to get the carers premium.
  • Jackieboy
    Jackieboy Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    Options
    tomtom256 wrote: »
    Why some people have to work a full time job and care full time for their loved ones!

As long as any potential earnings are below the CA earnings threshold OP will be doing nothing wrong.

As for HB you should get more if I remember rightly as you will start to get the carers premium.

Being a foster carer is rather different from going out to work as it's a 24/7 job in it's own right and, of course, in the scenario you describe, the carer wouldn't be eligible for CA anyway.

You not only have to be under the income threshold to claim CA but you have to be caring for someone for a minimum number of hours.
  • SunnySides
    Options
    Jackieboy wrote: »

You're right in the sense that I couldn't narrow it down to the the fact that between X-AM and XPM, I look after foster child, and between X-AM and X-PM I look after my disabled son. I juggle both, and while I do not have much 'me time', we all cope just fine.

Maybe on paper, as you have noted, it may look unfeasible.
    xylophone wrote: »
    URL hidden

Thanks, I'll give this a read.
    tomtom256 wrote: »

Thanks for the advice - I will call HB next week and see if they can give any further clarification on this.

:)
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Personally I would give these people a call first.

https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/talk-to-us

I believe that foster carers' allowances are counted as income for tax purposes and think you are classed as self employed?? (with specific tax allowances?)

Therefore it may be that you are over the earnings limit for CA depending on the number of children you care for.

You will correct me if I am incorrect - not my area of expertise!

If you are eligible for CA then it would be counted as income for HB purposes but then a Carer's Premium added.

Have you had a go at putting your details into a benefit calculator as they are post code orientated as regards HB?

Of course it may not be possible to do this with your receiving a fostering allowance (but again I believe this is ignored for HB purposes.)

Please let us know how you get on - always useful to learn more to advise others.
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    a lot depends on if you are renting privately or are in social housing.

the carers premium associated with housing benefit doesn't mean that MORE benefit is given, just that you are allowed to have3 more income before housing benefit starts to be reduced.

this being the case would indicate that no housing benefit would be taken away because your income hs increased due to carers allowance
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Fostering allowances are disregarded income for many means tested benefits.
    "Fostered children are not counted as part of your household when any means tested benefits are calculated.
    Equally the fees and allowances from fostering are not counted as income when calculating any of the following means tested benefits: Income Support, Income based Job Seekers Allowance, Income based Employment & Support allowance, Housing benefit and Council Tax Support. "

"Carer’s allowance is a benefit paid by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). You don’t need to have paid national insurance contributions to get it, and it is not affected by any savings you or your partner have. It is, however, taxable and counts as income for tax credits. It may also count as income for other benefits. It can also be affected by any earnings you have from work (but not your partner’s earnings).

For 2016/17, Carer’s allowance is £62.10 a week. Carer's allowance is a taxable benefit.

You can normally claim carer’s allowance if:

you are aged 16 or over;
    You have been in England, Scotland or Wales for at least 2 of the last 3 years and you normally live in England, Scotland or Wales or you live abroad as a member of the armed forces. (The rules for Northern Ireland are different, see the NI Direct website for more information). There are some exceptions to these conditions if you’re living in another European Economic Area country.
    You are not subject to immigration control (although there may be some exceptions to this)
    you spend at least 35 hours a week looking after someone (this could be a child) who gets the middle or highest rate care component of disability living allowance, a personal independence payment daily living component, either rate of attendance allowance, armed forces independence payment or constant attendance allowance (at or above the normal maximum rate with an Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit or basic (full day) rate with a War Disablement Pension)
    you are not attending a full-time course of study (21 hours or more a week); and
    (if you are working) you usually earn no more than £110 a week. This £110 a week is after deducting tax, national insurance, half of any contribution to an occupational or personal pension and certain other expenses. This may include childcare costs and payments you make to other people (not close relatives) to provide care while you work. Any occupational pension you get is ignored, as are certain payments from the council for someone temporarily in your care (e.g. fostering allowances).

As pmlinyloo says CA will be included as income in the HB calculation, but you will be allowed more income (your applicable amount) because you are reciving CA.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure