PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Clearing through the cupboards for a house move.

Options

Comments

• helcat26
    helcat26 Posts: 1,119 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    We hired a luton van with a tail lift. Really not that expensive although my husband did nearly take out a traffic light!
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Well there is some space at the front door where I can store boxes but a relative of my current neighbour has a spare key and comes round a few times a day at which point he unlocks the door meaning anyone can come in.

I'd estimate even at a push it would take 10 minutes to load the van with just the boxes, and the drive is 2-4 minutes, and if I help the guy load the van means its not as much of a rush, if its getting close to the 30 minute point and he says he will automatically charge me for a hour I will at that point ask him to take some furniture.

Or even take one of the beds to new place but leave the other meaning I can sleep at either depending on how I feel.
  • thriftwizard
    Options
    Check your leases carefully; when my friend moved from an upstairs flat to a downstairs one in the same block, she was horrified to find out, two days before the move, that she had just 24 hours to vacate & clean the upstairs one, as they had a tenant waiting to move in. She'd thought she'd have until the end of the month, a week away... Cue a lot of panicky phone calls and a bunch of ladies of a certain age rushing round with furniture, boxes, hoovers, feather dusters & steam cleaners like something out of a Benny Hill sketch...
    Angie - GC May 24 £232.52/£450: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • dekaspace
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    It's fine the old one is private let and 30 days notice (which I haven't handed in yet)

At most it will take a day packing but likely more like 3 or 4 hours because most things I left in cupboards already in boxes its just keeping what I want (which is only things like dvd boxsets and games that are rare/out of print) and getting rid of the rest.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    dekaspace wrote: »
    It's fine the old one is private let and 30 days notice (which I haven't handed in yet)

At most it will take a day packing but likely more like 3 or 4 hours because most things I left in cupboards already in boxes its just keeping what I want (which is only things like dvd boxsets and games that are rare/out of print) and getting rid of the rest.
    :) Don't know if you claim housing benefit for all or part of your rent but, if you do, and you will be claiming Benefit on Two Homes (overlapping rent liability) you need to be aware of something. No need to let us know if you do or don't, not our business, just a word to the wise.

Lots of people think it means that they can have 4 weeks to get the new place sorted before moving in; cleaning, decorating, sourcing floor coverings etc etc. It doesn't. You have to be living in the new place, as in sleeping over, even if you are still shuttling stuff over from the old one, to be eligible. It's for people who have an unavoidable contractural rent liability in two places at once but the qualifying criteria is that you're actually living in the new place.

If you get caught out as not being moved in, you can lose one lot of HB and be left starting your new tenancy with a financial mini-crisis.:(
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • dekaspace
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :) Don't know if you claim housing benefit for all or part of your rent but, if you do, and you will be claiming Benefit on Two Homes (overlapping rent liability) you need to be aware of something. No need to let us know if you do or don't, not our business, just a word to the wise.

Lots of people think it means that they can have 4 weeks to get the new place sorted before moving in; cleaning, decorating, sourcing floor coverings etc etc. It doesn't. You have to be living in the new place, as in sleeping over, even if you are still shuttling stuff over from the old one, to be eligible. It's for people who have an unavoidable contractural rent liability in two places at once but the qualifying criteria is that you're actually living in the new place.

If you get caught out as not being moved in, you can lose one lot of HB and be left starting your new tenancy with a financial mini-crisis.:(

I did hear that, but hoping for one having disability makes it a bit less lenient and worst comes to worst I can just move one of the beds across, then later one of the tvs.

I could even take my armchair down the road as its on castors.

Actually that would be a good way to move stuff about thinking about it though very obvious to people looking through window.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :( Having a disability per se doesn't exempt you from these rules, unfortunately, unless in a very specific circumstance, such as awaiting the fitting of a disability adaption into the new home, without which you cannot live in it.

If you have window coverings in the new home, a made-up bed, and at least some of your possessions in it, it would be hard for anyone to prove that you weren't actually living there. A lamp on a timer switch would be handy, too.

What you don't want to do is say to someone like me (local government worker) over the phone something along the nature of; the tenancy started on 4th December (or some date already days or weeks in the past) but I'm actually moving in this coming weekend.

Folks do this all the time, sadly, and most organisations have automatic call-recording (and random sampling of recorded calls by Da Management for quality-checking purposes), so people like me have to record what you've actually told us, and can't selectively mis-hear it to cut you some slack.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dekaspace, nothing to do with benefits is ever lenient. I am pretty sure that they have never heard of the word. It's not the worker's fault but the system they are having to work under.

Having said that I do think that some people in the benefits system enjoy the power they seem to have over others' lives. So do take GreyQueen's words to heart and be very, very careful.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • dekaspace
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Have barely started packing and have man with van arranged for Wednesday though its a single person so can't do the tv unless I get some help and was thinking of leaving the freezer (and pots and pans) here and then getting another man with van to pick up the tv and freezer (and anything else I struggled with)

Luckily new flat is ground floor the main pain is going to be moving 3 wardrobes downstairs (as they are massive things) though worse comes to worse can leave those as well as washine machine.

As for the benefits thing luckily as its Christmas its 2 weeks free rent with council so rent isn't payable till the 19th anyway so will have stuff in by then.

Not sure when I will start packing, either later today or tomorrow, luckily most of the stuff in cupboards is junk so I can chuck it, and have quite a few boxes I can use to pack.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    dekaspace wrote: »
    Have barely started packing and have man with van arranged for Wednesday though its a single person so can't do the tv unless I get some help and was thinking of leaving the freezer (and pots and pans) here and then getting another man with van to pick up the tv and freezer (and anything else I struggled with)

Luckily new flat is ground floor the main pain is going to be moving 3 wardrobes downstairs (as they are massive things) though worse comes to worse can leave those as well as washine machine.

As for the benefits thing luckily as its Christmas its 2 weeks free rent with council so rent isn't payable till the 19th anyway so will have stuff in by then.

Not sure when I will start packing, either later today or tomorrow, luckily most of the stuff in cupboards is junk so I can chuck it, and have quite a few boxes I can use to pack.

Most TVs can be moved by one person but surely in your case there'll be the two of you?

Do you really need 3 big wardrobes in a 1 bed flat?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure