The Cutting Down / Giving Up Booze Thread (Part 14)

Options

Comments

• Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Glad you enjoyed the Miros CathyBird. He's the only modern artist I've come to love, but it's a start. And yes, I rather think his best work is in his own Foundation!
    Going sugar free still a bit of a struggle, cravings dropping but am starting to believe the sugar cravings are greater than the alcohol cravings. Maybe it is too much tackling both at once but I feel one may start me off on the other if I introduce one of them. It's a quandary :(:(

What I've discovered about sugar cravings, Green Karen, is that the more sugar you eat, the more you want. The really great news is that there are ways to fool the system that after a lot of trial and error seem to work for me.

1. The earlier you start eating sugar in the day, the more you'll eat.
    2. Dried fruit seems to satisfy the cravings; it is full of sugar but it's also full of fibre, vitamins and some minerals. I'm strict about how much I allow myself, but figs, dates and apricots are always on hand here - don't have more than two figs, five dates and/or three apricots a day. If you're new to buying dried fruit, get it from the baking section of the supermarket, not the puny little bags near the fresh fruit.
    3. Don't, under any circumstances, have a load of chocolate in the house, no matter how cheap boxes of malte$ers and chocolate oranges are at the moment. And don't buy eightpacks of Morri$on'$ own brand $printers or Ap0ll0 bars to take when having to stand about for three hours in the rain, cold and wind.

Guess which one of those I don't comply with. However, by not baking any Twinks I've managed to stop scoffing those by the fistful which seems to be helping. Good luck with it.

10/31 please, Shaggy.
    Better is good enough.
  • ElusiveLucy
    Options
    Up to 5/14 for me for last night please after a most definitely not AF weekend.
    What goes around comes around.....I hope!
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,592 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Honey_Bear wrote: »
    2. Dried fruit seems to satisfy the cravings; it is full of sugar but it's also full of fibre, vitamins and some minerals. I'm strict about how much I allow myself, but figs, dates and apricots are always on hand here - don't have more than two figs, five dates and/or three apricots a day. If you're new to buying dried fruit, get it from the baking section of the supermarket, not the puny little bags near the fresh fruit.

A bit off topic, but as this is a money saving site:money:.
    Aldi seems to belie the theory about snack packs v home baking as far as nuts are concerned. My DH likes nuts on his muesli and they're cheaper in home baking than in the 'healthy' section. That being said in some stores all the plain nuts are all in the same section so take note of the price per kg.

If you have Home Bargains near you then they sell 500g bags of pitted dates (again for the muesli) quite cheaply and, especially with Christmas coming up:eek:, there should be plenty of those packs with the dates still on the stalks at 2 for £1 or even cheaper.

Fortunately I don't have a sweet tooth but if I want a pudding I enjoy red fruits (fresh or frozen) with some 0% Greek yogurt (again Aldi is every bit as good as Total) and a sprinkle of sweetener. So unless you have an issue with sweetener that's another way of getting a healthy sweet fix. Another option is to have a couple of Sainsbury's mini meringues and make a version of Eton mess.

Back to the booze thread::o

Dancing tonight so definitely no drinking.

6 AFDs please Shaggy.
  • takingonedayatatime
    Options
    Hello!!

Feeling a little brighter today. Manicure booked for Friday and hair appointment next week. Looking forward to it already. :j

Still reading Part 13 of this thread and its really interesting and inspiring.

I've realised that I always seem to count my days AF earlier than most, but I don't really give it a second thought... I know I wont drink for the rest of the day so I'm happy declaring early!

10/31 please Shaggy
  • Poor_Single_lady
    Options
    Good evening all. 9/24

Room on the broom - to repeat what somebody else said earlier,
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    6/24 AFDs today
  • Green_Karen
    Options
    Thanks for the tips on reducing sugar cravings HB and maman. I am sat here right now looking at a bar of chocolate that has been near my laptop for a few weeks and thinking I should eat some of the prunes we have instead :eek:

10 AF tonight, can I please set a target of 20 thanks.
  • Wanna_Bee_Free
    Options
    3/14 please Shaggy. Sleep well everyone
  • maggiem
    maggiem Posts: 1,646 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Think my maths is slipping too but counted up today and I now have 8/15 please and yeah a smiley �� and aiming for 9 tonight. Good to get ahead as might have a few days away at the end of the month. Interesting to read of talk about sugar cravings and in awe of strength of mind of those who can have a chocolate bar and NOT EAT IT! Must work on healthy eating too.
  • cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,331 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    morning all, 7/21 for me today please. :)

Actually since coming back from Spain I have had a rotten lurgi, so don't really feel like drinking anyway. I'll be fine, just waiting for it to go away.
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport