The best Option for Car Insurance problem

cwb111
cwb111 Posts: 2 Newbie
edited 21 August 2017 at 1:01PM in Insurance & life assurance
Hi All,

Me and my girlfriend have just gone down to one car as I now commute via train to work (Trying to save for a house) . However, that one car is mine.

She now wants to use my car to travel to work. She is currently a named driver and is not insured for commuting.

My Insurance provider have said that she needs to own the car and be the main policyholder to be able to be insured for commuting purposes. This isn't really possible as we are only 22.

What is the best way for her to be able to drive to work and the car to be in my name?

Thanks
cwb111

Comments

• cwb111 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Me and my girlfriend have just gone down to one car as I now commute via train to work (Trying to save for a house) . However, that one car is mine.

She now wants to use my car to travel to work. She is currently a named driver and is not insured for commuting.

My Insurance provider have said that she needs to own the car and be the main policyholder to be able to be insured for commuting purposes. This isn't really possible as we are only 22.

What is the best way for her to be able to drive to work and the car to be in my name?

Thanks
    cwb111

She needs to be the policyholder (main driver) as she'll be the one using it!

Have you tried other insurance companies (or maybe a broker) to see if they might offer her as the main policyholder despite not owning the car?
  • No yet, I will try going through compare the market and call direct line.

Would there be a way for us both to get "no claims bonus" as her as the policy holder and me as a named driver?

I use the car on weekends and evenings.
  • mattk_180
    mattk_180 Posts: 375 Forumite
    Some insurers will only give business use to you and a spouse, but refusing to give commuting use to another is unusual (but not impossible). You can also be the main user without being the policyholder.

Whilst comparison sites are good you should also ring around some brokers and explain the situation in full so they can cater to your exact needs.

You can get some policies where the named driver earns a No Claims Bonus, but that driver is then usually stuck to going with that company as no others will accept it.
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If you're married or partners then there are insurers (Direct Line spring to mind) who actively don't care which of you owns the car, which of you is the main driver etc, and will give both of you the same cover. Each insurer's view is different - you just have to answer the questions they put to you correctly, and read the assumptions carefully when you apply for a policy.

Some insurers (Direct Line again are one) will allow a named driver to build up something they call a "named driver no claims discount", which is better than nothing, but is not as good as a true NCD - usually you can only use it on a policy of your own if you stay with the same insurer when you get your own car again.

Alternatively if you want to keep an existing NCD you can do so by insuring the car in your wife's name one year and yours the next - NCD generally expires if not used for two years so alternating like that allows you both to maintain yours indefinitely (assuming neither of you makes a claim, of course). Again insurer's policies vary but the large majority of them will award NCD to the policyholder, not the main driver.
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    She needs to be the policyholder (main driver) as she'll be the one using it!

Have you tried other insurance companies (or maybe a broker) to see if they might offer her as the main policyholder despite not owning the car?

On our first car, I am the policy holder and owner of the car, but my OH is nominated as the main driver.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure