Options
2»

Comments

• pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    IAmWales wrote: »

For the weight loss, set yourself small targets. I had a lot to lose when I started out and it was overwhelming. Breaking it down to half a stone at a time makes it far less daunting, and even after your first half stone you'll see quite a difference.

Good luck!

You could take this further and just aim for the pounds at first. Have a non-weight goal to minimise emphasis on the weight numbers; eg lose a dress size in say x months.
  • Ben84
    Ben84 Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you want to take part in the group, but have uncertainties about the weighing part, or really any of it, I don't think you'd be the first person to wonder about these things. It could help to contact the group leaders of some local groups, just talk it through with them and see where you end up. They may have some ideas that work for you.
  • Carmk2008
    Carmk2008 Posts: 157 Forumite
    Options
    I find the best way to drop weight is to limit the amount of carbs I eat and when I do eat them its when I'm most active. Started two months ago on a fairly low carb diet coupled with running, starting weight was 17 1/2 st now sitting at 15st 9 granted this is mostly water weight but the difference is huge. Will take another few weeks before I start to see a reduction in fat.
  • Clowns_and_Jugglers
    Options
    Probably best to try and do it privately, via an app.

No idea why slimming clubs (and hospitals) have public weighing sessions. I can see why it would put people off.
  • whiteguineapig
    whiteguineapig Posts: 1,365 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    the mse old style board have a weightloss thread, they are very supportive, maybe you could join in with them?
  • TiredTrophy
    TiredTrophy Posts: 1,019 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hey come and join us..on the old style thread....very inclusive. .no admitting your start weight...a few jokes..come and lurk for a while :)
  • Afternoonnapper
    Options
    How do you get to the old style?
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    How do you get to the old style?

You look down the list of forums for Old Style,

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33

This is the thread you want.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5143191

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,627 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Come and join us - we are very friendly :)

People have different goals and struggles - we just support each other.
    An alternative to weighing is to measure yourself instead. This can be done in the privacy of your own home and many people find that if the scales don't change much sometimes the shape and measurements do.

I just turned 50 and am peri or actually menopausal so weight loss has seemed more of a struggle this time - I have been lucky that my symptoms have been mild but I know that they are not for many people.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure