Lloyds Mortgage PPI Reclaim

Options
Hi there, I'm in the process of filling out Lloyds PPI reclaim form in relation to some morgage insurance and I'm after some pointers in case I miss anything important out.

The basis of my claim is that I was told in branch when getting a mortgage that I had to take out their mortgage insurance, in addition when my workplace looked like it might shut down I made equiries about my cover and basically found it wasn't fit for purpose, if I had money in the bank (ie a redundancy payment) they wouldn't pay and it would also take something like 6 months before I got anything (does anyone know if this information is correct ?) the opperative actually told me that I'd be better with a salary insurance (something they didn't provide)

Any pointers greatly apreciated.

I've also told Lloyds that my claim form will probably take more tha 14 days to return, they said that's not an issue and that 14 days is just 'preferrable' - is that correct ?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,385 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The basis of my claim is that I was told in branch when getting a mortgage that I had to take out their mortgage insurance,

Lloyds did have a period where it offered certain deals if you bought their insurance product. That cross subsidy deal arrangement was allowed. And today it is still allowed to insist on insurance as a condition of borrowing. Those deals were mid 90s around the time of the high interest rates.

It is where you were told it was compulsory when it wasnt. i.e. lied to. However, problem with that allegation is lack of evidence and that every try-it-on complaint also uses it. It is rare for a complaint to succeed on that particular point.
    in addition when my workplace looked like it might shut down I made equiries about my cover and basically found it wasn't fit for purpose, if I had money in the bank (ie a redundancy payment) they wouldn't pay and it would also take something like 6 months before I got anything (does anyone know if this information is correct ?) the opperative actually told me that I'd be better with a salary insurance (something they didn't provide)

That information is wrong. Lloyds MPPI did not take redundancy pay into account. Only PILON and all policies do that and its accepted as normal. PILON means you are still employed for that period.

Your personal savings/investments have nothing to do with MPPI. A claim would be paid if you had millions in the bank.
    I've also told Lloyds that my claim form will probably take more tha 14 days to return, they said that's not an issue and that 14 days is just 'preferrable' - is that correct ?

That 14 days is just an attempt to speed you up. It is not enforceable.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • ned_nederlander
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    Lloyds did have a period where it offered certain deals if you bought their insurance product. That cross subsidy deal arrangement was allowed. And today it is still allowed to insist on insurance as a condition of borrowing. Those deals were mid 90s around the time of the high interest rates.

It is where you were told it was compulsory when it wasnt. i.e. lied to. However, problem with that allegation is lack of evidence and that every try-it-on complaint also uses it. It is rare for a complaint to succeed on that particular point.

That information is wrong. Lloyds MPPI did not take redundancy pay into account. Only PILON and all policies do that and its accepted as normal. PILON means you are still employed for that period.

Your personal savings/investments have nothing to do with MPPI. A claim would be paid if you had millions in the bank.

That 14 days is just an attempt to speed you up. It is not enforceable.
    Thanks for your reply dunstonh. My applaiction was always going to be very flimsy, I have no supporting paperwork and even the policy number I have was aquired via an old statement and may not even relate to that actual policy.

In your experience is there any credible reason that would result in a successful payment ? I certainly can't prove that we were told we HAD to take their policy but I am certain when I made enquiries during my redundancy event that I decided it wasn't fit-for-purpose, given what you've told me thare must've been a reason for that !? I certainly cancelled the MPPI straight away and took out salary insurance on the basis of the call I made!

Thinking I'm wasting my time with this one now.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I am certain when I made enquiries during my redundancy event that I decided it wasn't fit-for-purpose, given what you've told me thare must've been a reason for that !? I certainly cancelled the MPPI straight away
    You need to remember what the reason was and communicate that in your complaint. No one here can tell you what the reason was.
  • ned_nederlander
    Options
    You need to remember what the reason was and communicate that in your complaint. No one here can tell you what the reason was.

Of course, but the previous reply established that it couldn't have been for the reason I thought it was.

I ceratinly made a call and decided to cancel on the back of it so there must've been a valid reason to do so, since my memory is incorrect I'm asking if anyone can suggest what the actual basis might've been.
  • dunstonh
    Options
    In your experience is there any credible reason that would result in a successful payment ? I

Most complaints on MPPI fail. You can still buy MPPI today. One of two types still available. It had fewer issues than loan and credit card PPI. So, in most cases, there are not the structural issues that the other types had.

However, banks are not predictable in how they handle complaints. Sometimes they pay out on ones they should be rejecting and reject those that should be paid out. We also have no access to the audit trail. Often those that succeed, do so because of things that were not raised in the complaint.

Most complaints of this type look at eligibility and suitability.
    I am certain when I made enquiries during my redundancy event that I decided it wasn't fit-for-purpose, given what you've told me thare must've been a reason for that !?

MPPi is fairly generic across the board. Maybe a misunderstanding in redundancy pay made you think that. It is quite common for people to misunderstand PILON and not realise that it means they havent actually left employment until the end of the period. Sometimes, PILON can be 3 months. So, an MPPI wouldnt pay out until 30 days after that 3 month period.
    Thinking I'm wasting my time with this one now.

Still make the complaint. Even if it fails, you will likely get an amount under the Plevin ruling.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • ned_nederlander
    Options
    Hey again, how do Lloyds normally communicate their findings? I expect I'll get a letter but we've exchanged e-mails and texts so would they communicate their findings via those platforms as well ?

Response date for this claim was yesterday but I appreciate they are not bound by any rules to stick to that date.
  • robbedofmymoney
    Options
    Hey again, how do Lloyds normally communicate their findings? I expect I'll get a letter but we've exchanged e-mails and texts so would they communicate their findings via those platforms as well ?

Response date for this claim was yesterday but I appreciate they are not bound by any rules to stick to that date.

Lloyds will give you an answer within 8 weeks and if your successful you will get a refund within 28days of a decision.
    I'm proud to say that the banks no longer take money from me after becoming debt free
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    They are indeed bound by Regulatory rules which requires them to make a full and final response within eight weeks. However, if the Bank fail to respond within this time limit, your only recourse is to refer the complaint to the Financial Ombudsman, where the complaint will join yet another queue.

So contact the Bank in the first instance for an update..,.
    Lloyds will give you an answer within 8 weeks and if your successful you will get a refund within 28days of a decision.
    Yes, Lloyds will aim to adhere to this, but it is not cast in stone if they are inundated with (Plevin) complaints.
  • ned_nederlander
    ned_nederlander Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    edited 25 January 2018 at 1:32PM
    Options
    Decided to chase up the decision by phone and was told the Mortgage Insurance complaint had been rejected!

However...

Lloyds told me I'd had some loans and they'd decided to investigate them -
    awarded £11165 !!

To say I'm happy is a !!!!in understatement!!

Thank you dunstonh for advising me to continue with such a flimsy complaint:
    dunstonh wrote: »
    Still make the complaint. Even if it fails, you will likely get an amount under the Plevin ruling.
  • dunstonh
    Options
    That is a nice amount. Has the potential to make a real difference to you. Enjoy it and thanks for giving us the update. Its always good to hear how things progress. It is also useful for others who may read your thread and see the pros/cons and issues etc and can see the result at the end.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure