Mysterious payment into account, how can I work out who it's from?

Options
Today my account shows £325 has come into my account from "G+L F LTD T/AS A", Google isn't helping. It's very welcome but I have no idea where the money has come from and I'm reluctant to use it without knowing what it is. Anyone have any idea?
Debt January 1st 2018 £96,999.81
Debt September 20th 2022 £2991.68- 96.92% paid off
Met NIM 23/06/2008

Comments

• radoslaff
    Options
    Just don't touch the money and call the bank immediately. Otherwise you risk your account to be closed for fraud.
    The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.
  • Shakin_Steve
    Options
    Do as the above poster says, contact your bank straight away. You really don’t want your account frozen over the Christmas holidays.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • Uxb
    Uxb Posts: 1,340 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds like a limited company trading as another brandname (A)
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,173 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    If someone contacts you and asks you to pay it back, don’t. Leave it to the bank to sort out. Otherwise you may find the original payment gets cancelled but your refund doesn’t.
  • Ballard
    Ballard Posts: 2,850 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I will add my agreement to the above. Contact you bank to tell them that you don’t recognise the transaction and instruct them to return the funds.
    I hate verisimilitude.
  • IanManc
    IanManc Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Options
    Dinah93 wrote: »
    Today my account shows £325 has come into my account from "G+L F LTD T/AS A", Google isn't helping. It's very welcome but I have no idea where the money has come from and I'm reluctant to use it without knowing what it is. Anyone have any idea?

It isn't welcome at all. If you don't know who it's from and you aren't absolutely certain it is yours - which you aren't - it is just a damned nuisance.

I echo what the above posters have said: inform the bank and let them sort it out. Don't pay it to someone yourself if you are contacted by somebody saying they've paid you by mistake. Linton is right - it is a well known type of fraud.
  • pelirocco
    pelirocco Posts: 8,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We had two unknown payments into our business account. Our bank could only tell us where it was paid, they couldnt see who it was from and tbh they weren't at all interested that we didn't know who had paid it

We eventually worked out who it was from
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
  • pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,952 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Can you try accessing online banking from a computer or download a statement to see if there is any more information after trading as?
  • Ballard
    Ballard Posts: 2,850 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    pelirocco wrote: »
    We had two unknown payments into our business account. Our bank could only tell us where it was paid, they couldnt see who it was from and tbh they weren't at all interested that we didn't know who had paid it

We eventually worked out who it was from

Unless they were cash deposits your bank should be able to tell you who they came from.
    I hate verisimilitude.
  • Samsung_Note2
    Options
    When the person/company who paid the money into the wrong account realises,they will ask there bank to contact the bank who received the money.

Receiving bank will contact the account holder and ask...yes ask if they would allow details to be shared with sending bank who will in turn share the info with the original sender.

Sound long winded doesn't it...but that's what happend to us and its up to the receiver to agree or not.

That's certainly how it used to work...laws may well have changed,but id say put the money into a saving account or similar where it can be left well alone and then paid back if asked for.

Looks like it has changed and for the better..

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/send-money-wrong-account
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport