Pet Insurance Crooks

Options
My dog has needed to put a claim in for allergy testing. Of course true to belief my insurance are trying to state this is a pre existing condition. Grrr. She's only 17 months old, most dogs develop allergies after 2 years, so already I have a special dog case. She's never suffered before when I claimed and stated ?!! I'm livid. But now I'm trying to plan ahead, and wondered if anyone knew insurance companies who help out with pre existing conditions. As if I change companies now it will be classed as pre existing? anyone know of any ?

Comments

• Rev
    Rev Posts: 3,150 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As far as I know non deal with pre existing conditions.
    Sigless
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There are a couple of companies who will extend cover to pre-existing conditions if the dog goes a fixed perod without symptoms or treatment. VetsMediCover do it after 24 months symptom/treatment free.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,853 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Smb3088 wrote: »
    My dog has needed to put a claim in for allergy testing. Of course true to belief my insurance are trying to state this is a pre existing condition. Grrr. She's only 17 months old, most dogs develop allergies after 2 years, so already I have a special dog case. She's never suffered before when I claimed and stated ?!! I'm livid. But now I'm trying to plan ahead, and wondered if anyone knew insurance companies who help out with pre existing conditions. As if I change companies now it will be classed as pre existing? anyone know of any ?

Well you need to argue this out with the company and, if necessary, the FOS. If you just move to another company then it definitely will be a pre existing condition with them.

Can your vet provide any evidence to help you dispute their decision not to pay?
  • Adly812
    Adly812 Posts: 558 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ill try speak with my vet, but my vet also put a false bit of information saying she'd tried a 4w food elimination prior to my consultants on with the vet? It was a change of food brand, and not a trial diet. I think the vet said it, as it would be used to help determine the allergies cause.... I changed vets as when I realised what a novice incompetent vet he was, I found a top rated vet who I really trust. He might be able to prove its not pre existing, as I will need to dispute this, as it's not true therefore not fair to instigate? Are the FOS any good at assisting dispute cases?
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,136 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If your vet gave the insurance company that information it is correct that they refused the claim. They can only assess the information given in the medical history given by the vet.

Your argument is with the vet who you say gave the wrong information.

You would need to get that vet to tell the insurance company that that information was wrong.

If the insurance company still refused the claim you need to follow their complaint procedure which should be detailed in the policy document.

Once you had a final refusal from the insurance company you can escalate your complaint to the FOS. They look at the information given by both sides and decide whether the refusal is justified or not.
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Which insurance company is it? Animal Friends by any chance?
  • Adly812
    Adly812 Posts: 558 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yup... Animal Friends??? How ever did you guess...l
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,136 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    just say it sounds familiar.
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Smb3088 wrote: »
    Yup... Animal Friends??? How ever did you guess...l

Not unheard of and quite well documented if you care to Google.

You have one type of reviews, all glowing from people who took up that particular insurance but never had to claim yet and are praising customer service, price etc etc

Then you have all the horror stories from the ones that have tried to claim on this insurance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure