Playing mp4 mkv files on TV

Options
I have a 22 inch TV in my bedroom that's currently not connected to anything. It has HDMI and USB ports but not smart. I have Sky box in my living room.

How can I get some content on the bedroom TV? I really want to be able to play mkv and mp4 files that I have on my computer.

Can anything do this? I was thinking about Chromecast but I don't think that will do exactly what I want.

Any thoughts would be great. Thanks

Comments

• LazyTyper
    LazyTyper Posts: 372 Forumite
    Options
    Just put your mkv and mp4 file onto a portable storage device (USB stick or portable hard drive) and it should "just work". Most TVs support playing media from USB.
  • stinky_daddy
    Options
    Hi

You could just get a HDMI lead (about £10 in ASDA for a 3m long cable) and connect it to your computer and play the files on the computer as normal (using whatever player you normally use e.g. GOM or VLC) but watch it on the tv, this is what I do.

Just make sure you change the channel on the TV over to whatever the HDMI is connected to once connected and press F8 (or whatever it is on your computer) to black out the screen of the computer so that it is showing on the TV only.

HTH

s_d
    Sometimes I wonder...
    "why is that frisbee getting bigger?"
    ...and then it hits me
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Jesus loves you...A nice thing to hear in church, but a horrible thing to hear in a Mexican prison
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
  • steveE2
    steveE2 Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What TV do you have?
    I would try a cheap USB stick first only need 8 or 16 GB to try
  • civil12345
    civil12345 Posts: 186 Forumite
    Options
    The TV is quite old...maybe 4-5 years. It's LG not sure if the model it was given to me (not when new).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure