Tax credits dispute

Options
Hello again, more tedious TC hassles. words fail me.

We have been overpaid TC for 05/06. Have received a demand for payment of ca. £5300. However we only received ca. £4900. Have the bank statements and payslips to prove it I rang up to dispute their figure. TC helpline says the difference is a sum which was set against overpayments in previous years. However I have already got DDs in place to pay off previous years ( ie 03-04 and 04-05) overpayments in full - so they are in effect asking for the same money back twice.

TC helpline referred me to the overpayments no., who referred me back tot the helpline, who could find no record on the system of my agreements to repay previous overpayments.

I got a bit cross then and said that I disputed the amount of overpayment and would not pay anything until I got a bill for the correct amount. They have now sent me a form to fill out (TC846) which says "use this form if we have paid you too much tax credit and you think you should not have to pay it back".

Well the point is they never paid us the money thats in dispute. They kept it and set it against another debt. So should I fill the form out or not. If I ring the TC helpline again, the mental stress wll probably cause the operators head to explode. help.................................................

Comments

• hjb123
    hjb123 Posts: 32,002 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

Sorry to hear of your troubles, you must be tearing your hair out!

Check out the adviceguide site for more information on appealing - it may also be worth you getting some help from your local Citizens Advice Bureau who should be able to tell you what to do next and to help you appeal the amounts
    Weight Loss - 102lb
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Fill in the TC846 giving full details of your dispute. Your dispute will be investigated and an explanation letter will be sent out to you.

I would say though that the amount they are requesting might be the overpayment for 05/06 plus whatever is still owed for the previous years and they are just giving you a running total. Obviously if any more payments are made by you the total amount owed will decrease. If you have an agreement letter regarding the payments you are currently making then send a copy of that with your dispute.
  • creamtea_2
    Options
    :confused:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills