Electricity

Options
*takes big deep breath...

So I moved into a new rented house. Couldn't get online due to no internet (but that's a different story)

Sent EDF a meter reading today and asked them to set me up an account. I'm not able to communicate by phone so have spent since 6pm tonight trying to arrange it.

I moved in early sept and sent them the meter reading. They've sent me a bill for £90...

I've used distance selling to cancel the account to try and get a better deal from elsewhere...

Help I need is, who do I go to? I can't even think straight with it now. It's got to be a supplier who I can set it all up via the Internet.

Thanks

Comments

• Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 18 October 2016 at 10:33PM
    Options
    Assuming you are deaf, you can try online chat, by typing.

https://www.edfenergy.com/for-home/help-support/help-centre

Live Chat, blue box.

The other suppliers seem to have online chat as well.
  • Rubidium
    Rubidium Posts: 663 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    *takes big deep breath...

So I moved into a new rented house. Couldn't get online due to no internet (but that's a different story)

Sent EDF a meter reading today and asked them to set me up an account. I'm not able to communicate by phone so have spent since 6pm tonight trying to arrange it.

I moved in early sept and sent them the meter reading. They've sent me a bill for £90...

I've used distance selling to cancel the account to try and get a better deal from elsewhere...

Help I need is, who do I go to? I can't even think straight with it now. It's got to be a supplier who I can set it all up via the Internet.

Thanks

I do not believe that you can simply cancel your account, as when you moved in you were in a legally binding deemed contact with the existing supplier and would be on their expensive standard tariff.

Only when you have registered with the current supplier are you free to then switch to a different supplier on a better tariff to suit your needs.

It is not the suppliers fault that you took so long to register with them, so you owe them for the energy that you have used on their expensive standard tariff.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    As said above, you can't cancel the contract with EDF(unless you have gas/electricity disconnected) as you are on a legally binding 'deemed contract'.

You can however set in motion a procedure to switch to another supplier - a procedure that takes several weeks.

You can instigate the switch on-line with any of the comparison websites e.g. the Cheap Energy Club on MSE.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure