credit card help required!!!

Options

Comments

• jamesfeatherstone
    Options
    hi there

my financial problem/ question are as follows

i have an overdraft of £1500 (maxed)

and a bank loan of £2500 (with interest its now upto £3300 ish)

i have to pay my mother in law £50 per month for another debt.

my wife does not know about the first two financial problems.

will getting a credit card at 0% to offload all the outgoings for my debts be the best solution. ?

i need a way to clear my bank statement so that it has no visible outgoings for my debts, ie no standing order to the loan company, because my wants to see my statements.

i can afford to pay £50 per month to motherin law, and probabally another £150 - 200 per month to a non specific other party (credit card bill/ loan etc)

can you offer any advice.
    i want this debt shifted asap

ps can i apply on line for a credit card and never have any communication to my home address ??

thanks in advance

james featherstone.
  • fezza_2
    fezza_2 Posts: 62 Forumite
    Options
    Jamie, you may not wish to hear this but my advice is bite the bullet and be honest.

Yes she may get upset, disappointed, but she will forgive you and support you. make the decisions together on how to deal with these debts.

Your marriage is a partnership. Lying and deceiving your wife will not help. We are clever creatures and the truth will come out eventually. DEAL WITH THIS NOW! Dont destroy the trust that she has in you.

I would like to think that the OPs on this site will not advocate you hiding your problems from your wife. I can understand that it will take courage for you to do this, so good luck and best wishes
  • jamesfeatherstone
    Options
    its easier said than done.
    she allready threatened to leave me after the last time i got into debt.

i feel that i am in a no win situation

james
  • crazyhazy
    crazyhazy Posts: 316 Forumite
    Options
    its easier said than done.
    she allready threatened to leave me after the last time i got into debt.

i feel that i am in a no win situation

james

you could be my h posting on here! I found out today that he had a loan which I had no idea about, now I was really angry with him for not telling me and I have threatened to leave when somehting similar happened before. BUT I am still here and working through this with him. It would have been far better though if he had told me himself rather than me finding out.

Can I ask how you have got into this debt? My h is now going to let me sort everything out, get a joint account and I'll let him have what money he is allowed and everything else will go towards the debts. By keeping a close eye on him I can make sure he doesn't get into this mess again. My worry for you is if you find a way to pay everything off with one outgoing, you will simply run it all up again, if it has already happened before. I think you may need the support of someone else helping you through this. Good luck.
    Total Debt (27th Nov 08) £16,707.03 Now £5,102.72
    Debt Free Date [strike]Nov 2012[/strike] August 2011
  • mountainofdebt
    mountainofdebt Posts: 7,795 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Taz

I'm sorry that your OH wouldn't take the same approach as mine....although I guess my hubby was quietly relived that I was taking the stand that I was, not through his laziness ('cos he works all the hours in the day) but becuase our situation did need someone to take a firm grip.

Would he discuss the money situation if it was done on say a once a month basis? Whilst hubby is happy for me to deal with things what he doesn't want is it rammed down his throat very night.

The other (sneeky) thing you could do is sign him up to Martin's newsletter....it might take a while but I'm sure that he would end up very curious!
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • jazzyjustlaw
    jazzyjustlaw Posts: 1,378 Forumite
    Options
    I have an OH who is in debt and is secretive. What gets to me is that even though we may threaten to leave if they do it again they do it again anyway what does that tell us?
    All my views are just that and do not constitute legal advice in any way, shape or form.£2.00 savers club - £20.00 saved and banked (got a £2.00 pig and not counted the rest)Joined Store Cupboard Challenge]
  • jamesfeatherstone
    Options
    thanks crazy hazt, and everybody else
    my debt has come from online roulette.
    i keep believing in systems to win, then getting shafted.

i really cannot face telling my wife, i am sure she will go this time.

i have a friend in a similar position who is supportive, but ultimatley he will back me up whatever the situation

thanks again

james
  • jazzyjustlaw
    jazzyjustlaw Posts: 1,378 Forumite
    Options
    thanks crazy hazt, and everybody else
    my debt has come from online roulette.
    i keep believing in systems to win, then getting shafted.

i really cannot face telling my wife, i am sure she will go this time.

i have a friend in a similar position who is supportive, but ultimatley he will back me up whatever the situation

thanks again

james

Well its a question of (and please dont berate me for this) you give up Russion Roulette or your wife, does gambling rate higher than your wife-?
    All my views are just that and do not constitute legal advice in any way, shape or form.£2.00 savers club - £20.00 saved and banked (got a £2.00 pig and not counted the rest)Joined Store Cupboard Challenge]
  • jamesfeatherstone
    Options
    i'd give up my gonads for my wife.
  • jamesfeatherstone
    Options
    infact would anybody like to buy them ???
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure