PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Worried: Lack of Immediate 10% Deposit

Options
Hi all, please, please help. I’m really stressed and need to know what to do next. We’re selling a 2 bed flat- the first sale (at full asking price) collapsed at the last minute before exchange due to the initial buyer’s health deteriorating quite suddenly. We managed to find new buyers but they offered us £25K less asking price. We tried to negotiate a higher price with the buyer but he refused citing a second property abroad and not wanting to pay a higher stamp duty rate. In order to not lose our onwards purchase, we accepted but realised we’d have to sell shares to make up for the shortfall of our purchase. However, our shares are not tax free and incur 40% income tax and further NI contributions. Since our last sale fell through out of the blue, we’re reluctant to sell these shares unless we’ve got some degree of certainty that our buyer will proceed and is 100% committed to buying our flat (he seems vague and non-commital atm). I wanted to know if exchange could take place using just his deposit for our flat. This would leave us short of around £15K for our next place but we’d then be able to sell our shares and have the FULL FUNDS upon completion. Does that make sense? Is this even possible? Our solicitor has said it might be possible to do things this way but she’ll have to check with our vendor’s solicitor to see if they’re okay with this. How common is this? Am I just panicking for the sake of it? This sale and our purchase is all I can think of and it’s driving me insane :mad::eek::( looking for some hope/reassurance.

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Let me cut out the irrelevant blurb
    DarriHui wrote: »
    Hi all, please, please help.[STRIKE] I’m really stressed and need to know what to do next. [/STRIKE]We’re selling a 2 bed flat-[STRIKE] the first sale (at full asking price) collapsed at the last minute before exchange due to the initial buyer’s health deteriorating quite suddenly. We managed to find new buyers but they offered us £25K less asking price. We tried to negotiate a higher price with the buyer but he refused citing a second property abroad and not wanting to pay a higher stamp duty rate. In order to not lose our onwards purchase, [/STRIKE]we accepted but realised we’d have to sell shares to make up for the shortfall of our purchase. However, our shares are not tax free and incur 40% income tax and further NI contributions.
    There is no income tax on the sale of shares. Do you mean Capital Gains Tax? You have an £11k pa alloance. Have you calculated the tax?
    [STRIKE]Since our last sale fell through out of the blue, we’re reluctant to sell these shares unless we’ve got some degree of certainty that our buyer will proceed and is 100% committed to buying our flat (he seems vague and non-commital atm).[/STRIKE] I wanted to know if exchange could take place using just his deposit for our flat.
    As your seller to accept a lower deposit on Exchange.
    [STRIKE]This would leave us short of around £15K for our next place but we’d then be able to sell our shares and have the FULL FUNDS upon completion. Does that make sense? Is this even possible? [/STRIKE]Our solicitor has said it might be possible to do things this way but she’ll have to check with our vendor’s solicitor to see if they’re okay with this.
    Indeed
    How common is this?
    relativey common
    Am I just panicking for the sake of it?

Yes, but hey! Why not?
    This sale and our purchase is all I can think of and it’s driving me insane.
    property deals tend to drive people insane.
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It sounds like the shares are some form of employer share option scheme and if sold early would be liable to PAYE
  • blueroyals
    Options
    25k less? Are you sure this is really worth it?
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How were you going to fund the 10% deposit last time when the sale collapsed just before exchange?
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    Since our last sale fell through out of the blue, we’re reluctant to sell these shares unless we’ve got some degree of certainty that our buyer will proceed and is 100% committed to buying our flat (he seems vague and non-commital atm). I wanted to know if exchange could take place using just his deposit for our flat.

If the deposit he is paying you at exchange is less than the deposit you need to pay for your onwards purchase at exchange, you have two choices. Either:

1) agree with the vendors that they will accept less than the 'standard' 10% deposit at exchange of contracts, but something meaningful so they know you are not going to walk away from it. For example, if the amount you are getting from your buyer at exchange is still 6 or 7% of the purchase price of the new place, that might still be a large amount of cash and be OK with the seller. However, if the person selling to you is also going to be doing an onwards purchase further up the chain, they may say they need your full 10% if they have to fund 10% of their onwards purchase price and were only budgeting to need your 10% plus some savings they have.

2) sell some other assets to help make up the difference between the 10% your buyer is sending you at exchange and the 10% your seller wants to get from you at exchange. If your sale price has gone down by £25k from what you were expecting, the amount you get at exchange of contracts (assuming 10%) has only gone down by £2.5k. Are you really struggling to find that £2.5k without selling shares, or are the shares only being sold to fund the final completion monies?

It sounds like you are saying you only want to sell these shares if you know the buyer is definitely buying your place. So you could exchange on your sale first, then sell the shares to make up the exchange shortfall, then exchange on your purchase. But if the extra amount you need at the time of exchange (compared to what you thought you were going to need) is only £2.5k (10% of the £25k reduction on your sale price, i.e. your new buyer is paying £25k less for the house so is giving you £2500 less at exchange), then it doesn't seem to be a big deal to just sell those £2.5k worth of shares in the week leading up to proposed exchange date and just cross your fingers that the exchange will actually happen. Then you don't need a break between sale exchange and purchase exchange.

At the end of the day, whether you sell to this person or you sell to some other person who comes along and offers you the same price, you are going to need to sell the shares to be able to afford completion. Shares trade on a market and have a new price every minute of every day. If you complete in a few months time from now, and refuse to sell any shares until you get all the way to completion, the share price could be 30% lower, making a mess of your plans and making your house purchase relatively more expensive compared to your overall wealth. It would make sense to sell some of the shares sooner rather than later, to reduce risk, even if that does involve paying tax / NI. You are going to need to pay the tax/NI in the end if you proceed with this purchase anyway, right?

So, selling £2.5k-worth of them ahead of exchange to cover your exchange shortfall without needing to beg the seller to let you pay a lower deposit than he was expecting from you, seems fine to me.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    From a slightly different perspective, exchanging contracts before selling the shares carries extra risk...

If the share price tumbles just after you exchange, would you still have enough shares to raise the cash you need?

(Also, are the shares traded in GBP? If not, you're also exposed to exchange rate changes after you exchange contracts.)

I guess there's also the (hopefully remote) possibility that something drastic happens - like dealing in your employer's shares is suspended, after you have exchanged.

In any case, assuming that you're going to buy at some point soon, you'll have to take the 40% tax plus NI hit anyway.

The only reason to delay the hit until after exchange would be...

- because you expect the shares to increase in value
    - because you might not complete until after April, and you prefer the share related income to be in 2018/19 tax year
  • jbainbridge
    jbainbridge Posts: 2,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We were in a similar situation and were not asked to add to our buyers deposit. It's likely your buyers deposit will be just passed up the chain.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I wanted to know if exchange could take place using just his deposit for our flat. This would leave us short of around £15K for our next place but we’d then be able to sell our shares and have the FULL FUNDS upon completion. Does that make sense? Is this even possible? Our solicitor has said it might be possible to do things this way but she’ll have to check with our vendor’s solicitor to see if they’re okay with this. How common is this?
    This is completely normal.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,630 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Re 10% deposit:
    It is very common to pass on the deposit from your sale up the chain without topping up, so your purchase deposit is less than 10%. However note if you fail to purchase after exchange, you'll be liable for the full 10%. Also, your vendor doesn't have to accept this, rare but may happen if theres a chain above and the deposit % gets smaller and smaller.

Re selling shares
    Whats the alternative if this transaction falls through - would you not sell at all or find another property/buyer in the near future? If the latter, then whatever happens you'll need to sell the shares soon anyway, so you'll pay the tax soon anyway.. why not sort it out sooner so thats one more thing done.
  • chappers
    chappers Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Options
    It doesn't really matter, it's not the money that ensures the sale goes through, its the contract. It's unusual to have to top an onward deposit up
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure