Set rate for business lunch?

Options
Me and my husband have a Ltd Co. My husband has recently been doing contract work at a site away from home and has therefore purchased his lunchtime meal and refreshments, however as it was from local mobile lunch unit, he has no receipt, is there a set figure he can claim? He has been roughly spending around £10/day,

Comments

• unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My accountant has informed me that that HMRC are clamping down on lunch costs and unless you are staying away from home then you should not claim as it's no different to a PAYE employee who either puts his hand in his pocket or takes his own
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Plenty of stuff on the web clarifying this.
  • Credit-Crunched
    Options
    unforeseen wrote: »
    My accountant has informed me that that HMRC are clamping down on lunch costs and unless you are staying away from home then you should not claim as it's no different to a PAYE employee who either puts his hand in his pocket or takes his own

Same here, no claiming for meals, lunch, taking clients out etc. Those days are long gone.

To be honest, I never did put these through, it just seemed strange to do so.
  • ComicGeek
    ComicGeek Posts: 1,539 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If it's a legitimate business expense, and meets the HMRC definition, then I can't see the problem. We have tea, coffee & water provided by the company at the office - why shouldn't I claim back subsistence costs incurred when I'm on business trips out of the office, as I'm out of pocket.

I can't see HMRC's problem with this, why is it any different to mileage expenses?
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ComicGeek wrote: »
    If it's a legitimate business expense, and meets the HMRC definition, then I can't see the problem. We have tea, coffee & water provided by the company at the office - why shouldn't I claim back subsistence costs incurred when I'm on business trips out of the office, as I'm out of pocket.

I can't see HMRC's problem with this, why is it any different to mileage expenses?
    It doesn't sound as if your employer provides lunch - if you're in the office or away you have to pay for your lunch. If you have a free canteen at work then I suppose it would be different and you could argue the point with HMRC.

Mileage is a valid expense provided it is purely business related - going off sightseeing or visiting your mistress would not be allowable for instance.
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    martindow wrote: »
    It doesn't sound as if your employer provides lunch - if you're in the office or away you have to pay for your lunch. If you have a free canteen at work then I suppose it would be different and you could argue the point with HMRC.

Mileage is a valid expense provided it is purely business related - going off sightseeing or visiting your mistress would not be allowable for instance.

...although a free canteen may have a P11D impact?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure