What's your Woolies going to be?

Options

Comments

• jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    richardw wrote: »
    There's already M&S, BHS, Sainsbury's, WHSmith, Next, Boots, Argos - what decent store are you hoping for?

An M&S where they pick up the clothes from the floor (or like in Woolwich, ban the chavs that throw then on the floor from the shop.)

A Next which is big enough for all the thousand mums with buggies that seem to be in there whenever I even consider going inside.

Argos is not my idea of a decent store- sorry if I am offending anyone by saying that, its just not competative enough with its pricing, Tescos, HMV, TKmaxx are cheaper- and you don't have to que for ages!

Boots is quite good- I take back part of what I said, there are not enough decent stores in Lewisham.

They need something which is well looked after (having witnessed so many thefts just queing in other stores on the rare occasions I am ever there (aprox once a month), they need all the help they can get!) they need something which is NOT a pound shop, discount sports shop or cheap tacky clothes shop and they need to do something that wont close or be closing down for the next 5 years! (Sports World??!- how long was that closing down for before it actually moved...about 400m away!)
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Which decent store do you want in Lewisham?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • *CheshireBelle*
    Options
    No sign of ours being reopened as anything yet, however lights are still on inside and have been since it closed. Wonders who's going to pick up the electric bill?
  • Kavanne
    Kavanne Posts: 5,093 Forumite
    Options
    sprogs wrote: »
    Walton and East Molesey are apparently going to be carpet stores. IMO not what either town really needs - would love a Home Bargains in Walton!
    In Walton there's already a carpet place down Bridge Street!! Aaaargh. Want a decent deptartment store back. I used to work at Beales (back in the day, *sniff*) and I think they always wanted to buy the Woolies store but Woolies wouldn't sell. Oh cruel world. I could have kept me Saturday job!!
    Kavanne
    Nuns! Nuns! Reverse!

'I do my job, do you do yours?'

• Alleycat
    Alleycat Posts: 4,599 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The one on Chiswick High Road in West London turned into a Waitrose last winter. Was surprised that there wasn't already a Waitrose round there considering it's quite a cash rich area.
    "I've fallen down a hole" - said in best Monty Python voice-over.
  • themaccas
    themaccas Posts: 1,453 Forumite
    Options
    Iceland here as if we need yet ANOTHER food store selling Turkey Twizzlers. Would have loved to have a Wilkinsons, Home Bargain or even Poundland.
    Debtfree JUNE 2008 - Thank you MSE:T
  • 1sue23
    1sue23 Posts: 1,788 Forumite
    Options
    Here in Skipton it is to become the Yorkshire Trading Company.
  • eyelinerprincess
    Options
    Dunno what ours (Ayr) is going to be...

Three main rumours going around are:
    Primark (can't see that, as it does so well in the new shopping centre and the high street is slowly dying, starting at the end and working its way down)
    Poundland (I work there, and I can't see it. Woolies is too big for us to move into there.)
    Iceland (which is two doors down atm)
    "Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, But beautiful old people are works of art."
    -- Eleanor Roosevelt
  • debsthe1
    debsthe1 Posts: 90 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Just to rub it in- we are in Southern Germany (lovely sunny & warm!) and have just been into Konstanz where we spied a Woolies there :-) they are still live and kicking out here.. long live picnmix!
    :)SW Convert - started 20/09/09 -3 Stone to lose!! :eek:
    So far lost 11 1/2lbs :j
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What an interesting thread this has turned out to be, I'm really quite enjoying checking what's happening to old Woolies branches around the country.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure