Creation Car Finance Query

Options
Hi

I'm currently paying £227 a month on my credit agreement with Creation. I'm in quite alot of other debt (see my other post) and I'm wondering what happens if I get to the point where I can't afford to pay for the car as I still have 5 yrs left on the agreement. I've been told the car is mine, so they can't touch it, is that right? I know I'm going to have to make sacrifices to get out of my debt and the car might have to be one of them. I'm currently away from home so I haven't got access to my paperwork.

All comments greatly appreciated.

Stu
£29,900 total debt :( 5 year IVA then debt free :)

Comments

• Apples2
    Apples2 Posts: 6,442 Forumite
    Options
    What type of agreement is it (it will say on the top of the paperwork)?

If it is a HP agreement, the car is not yours, it belongs to the finance company. You can probably hand it back once you have repaid 50% but you are a Country mile away from that point yet.

If it is a Personal Loan agreement, the car is yours to sell. You could sell it and put all the money into the loan but it is very unlikely your car will fetch anywhere near what you owe (but you would have made a good dent in the debt).
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If it's car finance then highly unlikely you are the legal owner, registered keep maybe, but not the owner
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,554 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As above depends on the agreement.

If its HP or secured on the car, They reposess is and sell at auction for pennies then send you a bill for the balance.

Trashing your credit file for at least 6 years.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Stu_1978
    Stu_1978 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    As I said, unfortunately I'm away from home so don't have access to my paperwork. I'm pretty sure that it's finance, as I have a certificate of ownership from the DVLA and my on-line Creation account refers to it as a loan. If I sold it I probably wouldn't get more than £4000-4500 for it, which would only cover half of the settlement figure needed, which is roughly £9300 :( It's looking like I'll be setting up an IVA, so I imagine car payments get rolled into that.

Stu
  • gazfocus
    gazfocus Posts: 2,374 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 January 2015 at 4:50PM
    Options
    I think you're confusing the V5C (The red document) with a certificate of ownership. DVLA have nothing to do with the ownership of the vehicle.

The V5C (Logbook) actually states on the front of it "This Document Is Not Proof of Ownership".

All the V5C does is shows who has the responsibility for paying road tax.

Did the dealer you bought the car off arrange the finance or did you get a loan and then go to a dealer and pay for a car?
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,554 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    V5C = The registered keeper. read the document it clearly says the keeper may not be the owner.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Foxy-Stoat_3
    Foxy-Stoat_3 Posts: 2,980 Forumite
    Options
    It will be included in the IVA, if its HP then the company may well repossess and the balance added to the IVA after they sell the car.

If its a personal loan and you are still going to go down the IVA route then they shouldn't force you to sell it as its not worth a lot...by a lot I mean its not 8-10K, that was the figures my IP was quoting me when I inquired about selling the only car I had.

Good lucks
    "Dream World" by The B Sharps....describes a lot of the posts in the Loans and Mortgage sections !!!
  • Stu_1978
    Stu_1978 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry I must have got confused about the ownership thing. To answer the other question, the people in the showroom arranged the finance then creation sent me all the paperwork.

Stu
  • Foxy-Stoat_3
    Foxy-Stoat_3 Posts: 2,980 Forumite
    Options
    What does it say on the paperwork? HP or personal loan?
    "Dream World" by The B Sharps....describes a lot of the posts in the Loans and Mortgage sections !!!
  • gazfocus
    gazfocus Posts: 2,374 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You will need to check with the paperwork but I would be extremely surprised if it's a personal loan arranged by the car dealership. It definitely sounds like Hire Purchase.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure