Mazda 6 - SCBS warning, turbo lag

Options
2»

Comments

• devildolly5
    Options
    Just a quick update. just over two years from a brand new turbo being fitted (when the car was just under 3 years old), it seems the turbo has gone again and need replacing, this time out of warranty:(

Waiting to hear back if Mazda will chip in for the £2000+ cost.

Surely I shouldn't expect it to go every two years! Might think about getting rid of it afterwards but we spent quite a bit on it to hopefully last us 10+ years. Great start to the year.
  • ratrace
    ratrace Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just a quick update. just over two years from a brand new turbo being fitted (when the car was just under 3 years old), it seems the turbo has gone again and need replacing, this time out of warranty:(

Waiting to hear back if Mazda will chip in for the £2000+ cost.

Surely I shouldn't expect it to go every two years! Might think about getting rid of it afterwards but we spent quite a bit on it to hopefully last us 10+ years. Great start to the year.

DONT go to the stealership to get work done, turbos can be bought for around £250 depending on the brand and fitting should be between than £150 - £250 again depends where you go and how much stripping there is to do to get to it. find a decent local garage that will do the job for a 1/4 of the £2,000 price

I did one on a mercedes v6 cdi and and it was straight forward as its on the top of the engine

you cant go by years or miles turbos fail at any age and miles ive seen them gone at 40,000 and ive seen some last up to over 100,000 i have an astra j which has 145,000 on the clock and its still on its original turbo

couple of tips that make them last longer, make sure you wait al least 30secs before switching you car off this give the turbo time to spool down as it lubricated by the engine oil.

Talking of engine oil its very important that you put high quality oil in your car it may cost a few quid more but its far cheaper that a new engine etc... also change it regular this will help in making your car engine last longer if you want to keep it for 10 years

hope the above helps
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race
  • devildolly5
    Options
    ratrace wrote: »
    DONT go to the stealership to get work done, turbos can be bought for around £250 depending on the brand and fitting should be between than £150 - £250 again depends where you go and how much stripping there is to do to get to it. find a decent local garage that will do the job for a 1/4 of the £2,000 price

I did one on a mercedes v6 cdi and and it was straight forward as its on the top of the engine

you cant go by years or miles turbos fail at any age and miles ive seen them gone at 40,000 and ive seen some last up to over 100,000 i have an astra j which has 145,000 on the clock and its still on its original turbo

couple of tips that make them last longer, make sure you wait al least 30secs before switching you car off this give the turbo time to spool down as it lubricated by the engine oil.

Talking of engine oil its very important that you put high quality oil in your car it may cost a few quid more but its far cheaper that a new engine etc... also change it regular this will help in making your car engine last longer if you want to keep it for 10 years

hope the above helps

Thanks you so much for this information. I didn't know about the cooling off time. Ill make sure to do that, and I'll ring around to see if it can be done cheaper.
  • ratrace
    ratrace Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks you so much for this information. I didn't know about the cooling off time. Ill make sure to do that, and I'll ring around to see if it can be done cheaper.

No problem, im not saying that has caused the problem but it could be all sorts and further investigation will need to be done, seals could have gone, the turbine could have been scraping the casing, turbo oil pick up could have been blocked, wastegate could have been working intermittently etc.. so it could be a number of things

there not a cooling off time as such ie rigid but its something ive always done on turbo cars plus we were taugh this at college when i did my nvq's, i can remember back when people use to fit turbo timers on they cars, dont see that anymore maybe due to the fact buying a turbo and replacing it is not as expensive as it once was

see link for a better idea of prices

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=mazda+6+2.2+turbo&_sop=12
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race
  • devildolly5
    Options
    Just heard back from the dealership and they are covering the cost 100%, presumably because the last one wasn't replaced that long ago. Not going to complain. Hopefully this one lasts longer than the last two.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    Options
    Just heard back from the dealership and they are covering the cost 100%, presumably because the last one wasn't replaced that long ago. Not going to complain. Hopefully this one lasts longer than the last two.

that dealership sounds like a keeper! ;):beer:
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,335 Forumite
    Options
    The other thing with a turbocharged car, is that when you first start it, don't immediately boot the accelerator. Leave it ticking over for a few seconds first to let oil reach the turbocharger. If the weather's freezing, and the engine's a bit reluctant, a little revs would be OK, but not enough to spin up the turbo.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • ziar25
    Options
    I have just experienced the same problem with my Mazda 6.
    devildolly5 could you confirm that replacing the turbo solved your car's problems, please?
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ziar25 wrote: »
    I have just experienced the same problem with my Mazda 6.
    devildolly5 could you confirm that replacing the turbo solved your car's problems, please?

Given that devildolly hasn't been back since the above post, 15 months ago, I think you may wait in vain for a reply.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure