Car Accident - Small Claims Court

Options
124»

Comments

• DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I'm surprised they didn't just go 50:50 between the insurance companies. As far as I'm aware they have the authority to do so - they don't need either insured party's permission - per typical insurance T&Cs. Your refusal to accept liability shouldn't have forced them into a court case, so I guess they must feel there is a reasonable chance of success.

(Insurance companies avoid court if at all possible - to easy for costs to rack up - unless they're confident).
  • needaname15
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    I'm surprised they didn't just go 50:50 between the insurance companies. As far as I'm aware they have the authority to do so - they don't need either insured party's permission - per typical insurance T&Cs. Your refusal to accept liability shouldn't have forced them into a court case, so I guess they must feel there is a reasonable chance of success.

(Insurance companies avoid court if at all possible - to easy for costs to rack up - unless they're confident).

They told me I had a strong case and they wanted to back it. A 50/50 was offered from the third party side but it was refused by my side.

I guess we will see, although everyone keeps saying I drove into the back of the other car therefore I have no chance. Very different advice than what I got from the solicitor and insurer.
  • Polmop
    Polmop Posts: 662 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If your insurance company think it is worth going to court then do it. They will think you have a good chance or they would have settled
    Good Luck
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    the defendant is still pictured barefoot
    If he turns up barefoot to court then you'll definitely win ;)
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sorry for my naivety but why not? I am just meant to roll over and accept liability for something I did not do?

So okay say I listen, what would you advise I do now? Cancel the court appearance and accept liability?

Sorry if this comes across short, just been very stressful with a lot going on in other parts of my life.

I doubt whether you have the option of cancelling. Your insurance contract almost certainly gives the insurer the right to make or defend claims in your name.
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,242 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What a great advertisement for a dash cam.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP do you have a witness (e.g. the car he was tailgating) or was it just your word against his?

It sounds horrible, I can understand that running into the back of a car that has stopped or is slowing is generally against the car behind but in the case where someone swerves into your lane and immediately brakes, how can that be the fault of the innocent party behind given they had space to slow to the line and were doing so, only to have a car appear in front of them with no time to react?
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I remember a thread here last year where a poster mentioned that his son had been involved in an incident. Son was in RH lane, 3P (3rd party) was in LH lane.

The lanes "jinked" (diverted) left then right and went straight on. Son followed the lane, 3P went straight on and collided with son. 3P was entirely at fault but (I believe) it ended up 50:50 as 3P claimed son moved across into her lane without warning, and also claimed the collision happened on a different part of the road. As there were no independent witnesses it was he said/she said.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure