PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Taylor Wimpey Options

Options
We have an appointment with Taylor Wimpey to discuss the options for our new build flat, but we're currently on quite a tight budget.

We've managed to get them to throw in an integrated fridge-freezer and dishwasher already. Is it likely that we could get them to give us a little bit more?

Our biggest cost is going to be flooring. We're going to get a quote from a third party to see how much extra Taylor Wimpey are charging. Does anyone have any idea how much Taylor Wimpey charge for their extras?

Comments

• SquirrelRM
    SquirrelRM Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    It depends on what you want. I thought some things were reasonably priced and some that were overpriced. Some we were willing to pay a little extra for the convenience. As an example; carpet and Karndean was quoted as £6700 via TW, we have gone to a local carpet store and have got better quality carpet with 10mm underlay, karndean and vinyl for bathroom and en suite for £4000. If I can help with any other specifics please let me know. X
  • SeagullFTB
    SeagullFTB Posts: 127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    That's helpful to know.

Out of interest, was that flooring for a flat or a house?
  • SquirrelRM
    Options
    4 bed detached house. Approx 1250 sq ft. X
  • SamsReturn
    SamsReturn Posts: 2,489 Forumite
    Options
    Did you watch the 'Tonight' programme last night ?
    It was all about the number of major faults in new-build properties, and the trouble buyers had getting them put right. They were talking to people that had bought leasehold houses & flats and found the cost of their lease going up and up. They said the situation had got so bad, some banks & building societies were now refusing to give loans on them, 'cos some properties were un-sellable.
    http://www.radiotimes.com/tv-programme/e/fqqzg4/tonight--new-build-nightmares-tonight/
  • SeagullFTB
    Options
    Ours is a two bedroom flat (680 sq ft) so should be around half that cost. It's useful to have a rough figure in mind.

I didn't see that programme. Not sure if I want to! Haha.
  • SuboJvR
    SuboJvR Posts: 481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    We are having a "flooring weekend" this weekend - tomorrow going to all the usual suspects to get some ideas of pricing, then on Sunday have an options meeting with TW for our new house.

I will update with our findings. We too are on our budget. Depending in particular on what happens with our rental overlap, there's a moderate chance we will move in without any flooring of significance to begin with :rotfl:

I did have some advice today though - I assume you are First Time Buyers as well and probably not looked at carpets and the like before, like us? - in that we should consider using as much non-carpet as possible, potentially only carpet on the stairs. I suffer a lot with allergies and this recommendation came from a paediatric nurse friend of mine who says that recommendations now for asthma are to try and avoid carpet if possible due to how much matter, particles etc it can collect, especially if pets are involved.

I still dream of having my own cat (despite my rotten allergies) so it may be hard flooring for us all the way!!
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    SquirrelRM wrote: »
    4 bed detached house. Approx 1250 sq ft. X

That is really small for a 4 bed house roughly the size of a 1930s 3 bed semi. I live in a 4 bed semi and that is 1900 sq feet and it isn't what I would describe as a big house. Are you buying it new? Have you measured the rooms to see if you can fit normal sized furniture into them. I can't imagine how they get 4 beds into such a small house.
  • SquirrelRM
    edited 10 June 2017 at 3:18PM
    Options
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    That is really small for a 4 bed house roughly the size of a 1930s 3 bed semi. I live in a 4 bed semi and that is 1900 sq feet and it isn't what I would describe as a big house. Are you buying it new? Have you measured the rooms to see if you can fit normal sized furniture into them. I can't imagine how they get 4 beds into such a small house.
    Thanks Cakeguts. We are more than happy with the room sizes, it has been measured to within an inch of its life!
  • SeagullFTB
    Options
    Just a quick update.

We had our options meeting with Taylor Wimpey. We got:

- Upgraded kitchen cupboard doors (New York style)
    - Standard kitchen work top.
    - Upgraded stainless steel extractor hood.
    - Standard stainless steel splashback.
    - Integrated dishwasher and 70/30 fridge-freezer.
    - Standard bathrom tiles in both the main bathroom and en suite.
    - Upgraded shower and shower screen over bath.

Total cost: £0

They threw it all in.

We got a quote for the flooring and built in wardrobe.

For hardwood flooring in kitchen, lounge and hallway, carpet in both bedrooms and tiles in both bathrooms, it'll be about £4500. A two door built in wardrobe is £750.

We're going to get other quotes before making a decision.
  • TDPIX
    TDPIX Posts: 263 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 June 2017 at 9:51PM
    Options
    Sounds like you had a good deal there, well done :)
    Our current 3 bed semi is 753 square foot (built in the 1970s). Our (soon to be) new build will be a 1180 square foot 4 bed, so a fair bit bigger than our current non-new-build.

I haven't ever seen a 1900 square foot semi in this area, so maybe it's area specific?

(All our normal sized furniture will fit fine in the new build, too).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure