We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Iris

Options
bouicca21
bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
How can I tell what sort I've got?

I rescued some that were being choked by weeds. One lot were potted up and placed in a position that gets sun half the day. By then I'd run out of pots so the second lot were put in a black sack. They have since lived in a position that is permanently shady. Both have grown well - now about a metre high, the shady set even has a flower bud.

I want to plant them back into the flower bed - but I'm puzzled about how and where to plant them. Do I assume they are flag irises? Would the colour of the flower provide a clue about how wet or dry, sunny/shady the growing conditions have to be?

Comments

• REEN
    REEN Posts: 547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Monty had some flag irises on the last episode of Gardeners' World. Could you have a look on catchup tv?
    I have two types that prefer moist conditions. Sibirica which grows in grassy-looking clumps and the yellow native one, pseudacorus which has broader leaves that have a little kink in the end. Both are about 1m tall. Sibirica can have blue, white or yellow flowers, but usually blue.
    Hope this helps.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A well meaning but clumsy visitor knocked off a flower bud, so I now know it was going to be yellow. When I first dug it up I thought it was foetidissima (which I also have) but it must have been very sickly because now it has taken off the leaves are quite different, broad and tall. So I am thinking it must be pseudacorus. I will hearten to Monty Don's advice!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure