WARNING! Before claiming, clear savings/debts!

Options
Do not answer thier questions until ready!

- need to claim job seekers allowance to get help finding a job at the job centre

- they asked me informally whether I had savings. I said `yes`, but they are exceeded by my student debt; I cose not to pay off my debt because the money earns more in a high interest account.

- although I wasn't filling out forms the savings were noted and this means I would get £14 a week.

Don't do what I did!

Next time get rid of your savings by paying off debts BEFORE even stepping in the job centre! You can't get rid of them after as this is deemed `making yourself broke` even though it's to pay off debts!! This way the government is forcing you to borrow money from them.

The government with student loans is exactly the same as othe loan companies - they don't want you to pay it off, they want you to forever be their slave.

Link to FAQ item (thanks Fran!):
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=260157#post260157

And deprivation of capital (in a thread reply from Ted_Hutchinson) :
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/uk.gov.social-security/msg/d9bd7d5d2517a35e?amp;output=gplain
Order of events: Banks lose our money -> get bailed out -> were inflating GBP to cover it -> now taxing us -> next will grab your funds direct -> things get really desperate to balance the books. What should have happened?: banks go bust and we lost our money much quicker

Comments

• camper
    camper Posts: 120 Forumite
    Options
    Actually, if you do use up all your savings within say three months before claiming benefits, to pay off debts where there is no legal obligation to, you can be deemed to still have that money.

So jago is not correct in his/her assumptions.
  • camper
    camper Posts: 120 Forumite
    Options
    the job centres are there to help everyone
    you do not need to claim any benefits to use any or all of the facilities
  • jago25_98
    jago25_98 Posts: 623 Forumite
    Options
    "Actually, if you do use up all your savings within say three months before claiming benefits, to pay off debts where there is no legal obligation to, you can be deemed to still have that money."

^ I mean to agree with this.

"you do not need to claim any benefits to use any or all of the facilities"

^ I'm afraid this has changed recently; try it, you'll be referred to the phone or internet.
    Order of events: Banks lose our money -> get bailed out -> were inflating GBP to cover it -> now taxing us -> next will grab your funds direct -> things get really desperate to balance the books. What should have happened?: banks go bust and we lost our money much quicker
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you dispose of capital/savings in order to qualify for means-tested benefits you will not be allowed to claim, regardless of whether that money was used to pay off debts/mortgage etc.

The DWP can and will insist on seeing all bank statements, savings books etc too.
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There is info about this on the thread Capital, income & savings - on benefits which is found by going to FAQ's - a sticky at the top of this board.
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • Fran
    Options
    Zziggi wrote:
    was just a hypothetical question. I was unaware that the IR and DWP were so closely related (Now?). I suppose what all this says is that you should either spend every penny you've got, or if you have got some, hide it in the mattress!

If you read the threads in the link in my post above, it sheds more light on how much etc.
  • Curry_Queen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Zziggi wrote:
    was just a hypothetical question. I was unaware that the IR and DWP were so closely related (Now?). I suppose what all this says is that you should either spend every penny you've got, or if you have got some, hide it in the mattress!

Well this is the problem I'm faced with if I continue to save at the rate I had planned (discussed in another thread) which is a PITA as it means I will either have to spend money frivolously to avoid going over the threshold or, as you say, hide it under the mattress :rolleyes:

But then would I be seen as "disposing of capital to remain on benefits" if I spent my savings, which I received from them in the first place!!! You can't win :(
    ~

• Fran
    Options
    Zziggi wrote:

Means tested benefits is not a lot to live on but if you are very very careful you can save a tiny bit.

Sorry Zziggi but I disagree with this. I would defy anyone to save who is on means tested benefits alone. If you get a non means tested benefit such as DLA you might then be able to save if the expenses for your disability were not as much as you receive. It has got to be wrong though that because you might also receive Income Support that you can't save any other money such as DLA, which might be for something essential that you need to save up for or just that you need to have some extra put aside in case something breaks down - eg. as you mentioned boiler or washing machine if you need to do extra loads of washing because of your disability. It just seems crazy that you have to spend a benefit like DLA as you go along or forfeit Income Support because you have "saved up".
  • Curry_Queen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sorry Fran but I have to disagree with you. I spent over 2 years on IS, before I was awarded DLA, and I also managed to save money out of that. I started off by paying back a Social Fund loan at £12 a week and once that ended I realised I could manage ok without it and that's when I started my savings.
    ~

• filigree_2
    filigree_2 Posts: 1,025 Forumite
    Options
    I can understand that there has to be a point where your assets prevent you from claiming IS, or theoretically non-working lottery winners could claim it! I do think that the system discourages poorer families from saving.

Imagine a low income family who diligently save for a rainy day. The breadwinner loses their job, and their rainy day savings mean they get reduced or no IS. If they'd spent their spare cash on fags and booze, they'd get IS much earlier.

It's not good moneysaving practice but sometimes I think I'd be better keeping my savings in a sock under the mattress. I can't conceal my current savings but if no-one knows about future savings I can't be penalised for them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure