Dodgy car dealer

Options

Comments

• Ellie271989
    Options
    My name is the same as someone else? Sadly that happens with more common names.

I was looking for consumer rights advice. Not to be criticised. My partner is very impulsive and hopefully has learnt his lesson the hard way with this as I wanted nothing to do with the swap as I believed his car to be fine.

We have since had a independent report completed by a garage which details 15 faults with the vehicle including one dangerous one. "O/S/R upper hub brush has excessive play - dangerous and mot failure"
    The mot was apparently completed last month. 28/02/17 to be exact. And passed... again. Apparently.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My name is the same as someone else? Sadly that happens with more common names.

I was looking for consumer rights advice. Not to be criticised. My partner is very impulsive and hopefully has learnt his lesson the hard way with this as I wanted nothing to do with the swap as I believed his car to be fine.

We have since had a independent report completed by a garage which details 15 faults with the vehicle including one dangerous one. "O/S/R upper hub brush has excessive play - dangerous and mot failure"
    The mot was apparently completed last month. 28/02/17 to be exact. And passed... again. Apparently.

If that is the case then you need to report this to the DVSA and they will then arrange for the car to be retested, but this must be done within 28 days of the MOT so you better be quick:

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/problems-with-your-test-result
  • rob7475
    rob7475 Posts: 851 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This doesn't quite add up.

How could you possibly think a private seller would want to take your old car as payment for the Saab?

Also, alarm bells would have been ringing for me when the dealer accepted a straight swap. That usually means one of two things. Either your car was worth much more than the saab so he could make a bigger profit. Or, he knew the Saab was a lemon and this was an easy way to shift it on.

To be honest, I doubt you'll have much comeback on a car at this sort of price point. Your best hope is to try and shift the car on.
  • Ellie271989
    Options
    He told us he had never done a swap before. It felt very weird not paying for a car. He told us it was his girlfriends car and was just too large for her which is why the mini was perfect for her.
    Within three days he had sold the mini on. We have spoke to the guy who he sold the mini on to. He didn't advise him of any of the advisories on the mot as we had passed this on at time or sale. The new owner of the mini also has an invoice from LH Motors but believed it was a private sale until he received a receipt with a company name. He has confirmed it's the same person. And send us a copy of the invoice receipt.

Trust me he knew the Saab had issues. He's admitted some of them via text.
  • aleks1244
    aleks1244 Posts: 75 Forumite
    Options
    Where did you find this seller, my bro had the same prob , first car he bought from a priv on autotrader paying cash after a while there was a few probs that came up which he did not mention ,we went back and told him we want full amount of cash he said he would offer a free swap he had a bunch of diff cars which he did not know anything about, bonnets not opening and other issues bla bla we said no give us the cash and stop messing around. He did give us the cash same time we came back, he could see we were angry hehe
  • aleks1244
    Options
    I would not let it go, where did you find this car , were was it adv , what website?

Where did you go to collect the car , who was there
  • Ellie271989
    Options
    I'm not letting it go. The car was advertised on auto trader and in a Facebook group.
    We met him at a service station and then followed him to what I thought was his house.
    It was me my partner and him. No other witnesses.
    I've sent him a letter recorded delivery which he has received. I will be sending another one with the faults found. Again recorded delivery. He has not responded since we asked for our money back. We have tried to contact him since but no response.
    Dvla, trading standards and now DVSA are aware of the issues. We know it'll probably end in court as he is not the kind of person to honour a consumer goods act.
    He tried to tell us we were nit picking at issues. Pretty sure a dangerous fault on a vehicle isn't nit picking.
  • aleks1244
    Options
    Call auto trader, tell them the situation , send what faults have been found, the car was on at and had a description for sure?
  • BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    aleks1244 wrote: »
    Call auto trader, tell them the situation , send what faults have been found, the car was on at and had a description for sure?

What on earth do you expect Auto Trader to do about it?
  • Ellie271989
    Options
    To be honest I don't think it matters who I complain to. This will end up in court. He won't contact us. Refused to fix the vehicle when we were able to get a response from him.
    Even if it goes to court to try and recover the cost of the vehicle I doubt he will pay. At the moment I'm more concerned about the safety of the vehicle and if it's roadworthy. Once dvsa assess that we will see where we are.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure