PC problem - please help

Options
Can anybody help me please? I have a Lenovo desktop PC which is 6 months old and is running Windows 10 Home edition. For several weeks now, the computer keeps freezing, with the light next to the power button usually off, but sometimes on. It sometimes goes for a day or two without freezing, while at other times, it freezes 2 or 3 times a day and the only way I can reset it is by keeping my finger on the power button to shut it down and then reboot. I have the PC on at all times as I'm backing up files to my cloud backup, so the crashes make it all the more irritating. HYas anyone else experienced this or have any ideas of how to stop it from happening, so my computer can run normally please? Any help greatly appreciated as it's driving me nutty!

Comments

• snaver
    snaver Posts: 149 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've also run antivirus and malware scans, which seem to be fine.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why aren't you returning it to the retailer to be repaired?
  • snaver
    Options
    Because I can't really afford to be without a computer for however many weeks or do yet another dreaded factory reset (which I did on my last PC several times before abandoning it), so I'd prefer to try and fix the problem if at all possible.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Download win 10 and do a clean install.
  • EdwardB
    EdwardB Posts: 462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    snaver wrote: »
    Can anybody help me please? I have a Lenovo desktop PC which is 6 months old and is running Windows 10 Home edition. For several weeks now, the computer keeps freezing, with the light next to the power button usually off, but sometimes on. It sometimes goes for a day or two without freezing, while at other times, it freezes 2 or 3 times a day and the only way I can reset it is by keeping my finger on the power button to shut it down and then reboot. I have the PC on at all times as I'm backing up files to my cloud backup, so the crashes make it all the more irritating. HYas anyone else experienced this or have any ideas of how to stop it from happening, so my computer can run normally please? Any help greatly appreciated as it's driving me nutty!

Windows may been set to turn off power of certain items after a time or a setting in power, for example it is possible to say that power saving can turn off a screen or a network card, it is no big deal for a screen but for a network card it can be like pulling rug from under you.

Have you made any changes to the power settings? If so set them back to default.

Win10 has hybrid shutdown, I think you have to hold left shift than fully shut down or else it goes hybrid (a kind of sleep mode).

To be a problem you can return it for you have to be able to reproduce it, even then it could be power settings in BIOS (F2/F10) at start up.

You have to change one thing at a time and then monitor to see if still occurs, of you do more than one thing at a time you do not know what actually fixed it. Alternatively you turn all power related things off and put them back one at a time, again keeping logs.

The power settings in Win10 have to be compatible with those in Bios, so you might turn off any related settings in BIOS, then disable any power settings in windows that turn off devices after a certain period of inactivity. Note that even if you are uploading to cloud, if you do not touch keyboard or mouse it may consider you are being inactive.

Detail below say how to turn off Hybrid.

Then a case of adding things back in 1 at a time, seeing if problem still occurs, try to note what you were doing, how long it had been.

Doing a clean install is overkill and you do not figure out what cause it, there are options in all settings to restore to default.

Microsoft has introduced the new method of shutdown, called Hybrid Shutdown. This feature is enabled by default, and it decreases the PC’s shutdown time. Hybrid Shutdown decreases the shutdown time by hibernating the kernel session, instead of completely closing it. When the PC is powered on again, the kernel session is revoked from the hibernation, so it decreases the booting time as well.
    But besides increasing the performance, Hybrid Shutdown feature may also cause some errors or even prevent Windows from shutting down completely. When this happens, many computers freeze or hang when you try to shut them down, and reason for this is that Hybrid Shutdown is enabled by default. So, logically, to solve this issue, you’ll need to disable this feature. When you disable it, the kernel session won’t be hibernated on shutdown anymore, but it will be completely closed. This might increase the shutting time of your PC, but the problem will definitely be solved.

Disable Hybrid Shutdown Manually

Follow these steps to manually disabled Hybrid Shutdown feature.

1- Go to Search, type power options and click on Power Options from search results

2- On the left side of the window click on Choose what the power button does

3- If needed, click on Change settings that are currently unavailable, under Define power buttons and turn on password protection

4- From the enabled options under Shutdown settings section, uncheck Turn on fast startup (recommended) checkbox to disable Hybrid Shutdown.

5- Click Save changes button to save the modified settings. Close Power Options window when done.
    This will fix: shutdown problem in windows 10 Your PC won’t shut down after you’ve installed Windows 10 problems with Shutdown windows 10 When I shutdown, my power lights remain on Lights still on after shutdown windows 10 shut down problem Windows 10 doesn't shut down properly Laptop won't shutdown completely in Windows 10

http://www.instructables.com/id/how-to-Fix-shutdown-problem-in-windows-10/
    Please be nice to all MoneySavers. That’s the forum motto. Remember, the prime aim is to help provide info and resources. If you don’t like someone, their situation, their question or feel they’re intruding on ‘your board’ then please bite the bullet and think of the bigger issue. :cool::)
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    as I'm backing up files to my cloud backup, so the crashes make it all the more irritating.
    You are deluding yourself; the only meaningful backup is one you have full physical control of.
  • snaver
    Options
    Thanks so much, EdwardB! I've followed the instructions and am now keeping everything crossed... I'll report back if it works or not... hope it does!
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Assuming you've checked the Power Options in the Control Panel, the first thing I'd do is try to work out whether it's a hardware fault or a software one.

You could download a live GNU/Linux distribution such as Slax, burn it to CD/DVD (or stick it on a USB stick), boot from that, and see if your PC still freezes and plays up.

http://www.slax.org/enGB/

If it all works fine, you have a problem with Windows. Either check the settings or reinstall. Otherwise it's (probably) a hardware problem.
  • bikerchris
    bikerchris Posts: 157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 March 2017 at 12:30PM
    Options
    Looks like you're on your way to fixing, but I would just say try booting up in 'safe mode' and see how it performs. It wouldn't be nice to use it in that state, but if it continued working, that might help you diagnose the issue a little more.

Also, only IMO but cloud backups are perfectly fine for residential / home users. No doubt if I were involved in Enterprise data, I would be completely obsessed with being in control.
    If someone is worth thanking - click on the 'Thanks' button on their response. It's just a nice thing to do :-)

Started debt at 17, stopped by 25 :-D ...I'm in debt again because of property :-/
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Because I can't really afford to be without a computer for however many weeks or do yet another dreaded factory reset (which I did on my last PC several times before abandoning it),

Hmm. This suggests that you do something which causes this. Not on any dodgy football streaming websites are we or using dodgy software you got from some less than legitimate source? On another forum I literally had someone complaining because he bought a computer from PC World with antivirus software on it that did its job on the dodgy footie streaming site he went on and blocked all the malware on it. He was going to take it back because he couldn't watch the football. Reason he got a new computer was the malware had infected his old one so much it was unusable.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure