Reclaim PPI help

I realise that I should make a claim for PPI, but have so far put it off due to the work involved. However I know that time is running out and if I don't do it I'll regret it.
Friends keep telling me just to use a PPI company as they do all the work for you, but I am reluctant to give them money unless necessary.
However -
- I don't know if I had PPI
- I only remember vague details of what loans I have had.
- I have no paperwork as most of the loans or credit cards are from 20years ago &
- some of the banks and credit card companies no longer exist.
I did try emailing the banks that I'm currently with, but only one replied and they say I never had any PPI.
Should I just go to one of these companies as I don't want to let the money go and something is probably better than nothing even if its not the full amount.

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Should I just go to one of these companies as I don't want to let the money go and something is probably better than nothing even if its not the full amount.

And when they ask you about what loans/debts you have had in the past, what are you going to tell them?

Emailing providers is not reliable. Stick the same request in writing to them or give them a phone call.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Exactly my point. I know I had credit cards and loans in the 90s, but have no paperwork to verify these things. Without anything to back me up what leverage do I have with the banks.
    Also if a bank no longer exists e.g. Cahoot who do you write to?

If I do it myself the process as I understand it is -
    You write to the banks asking them if you have had PPI providingthem with evidence of your loans and credit cards. They check and say yay or nay. If I have no paperwork where do I stand???
  • bertnern wrote: »
    If I have no paperwork where do I stand???

In exactly the same place as if you did have paperwork.

You write to them with your complaint reasons. Paperwork won't help with that.
  • so what I just say "I think I had PPI refund me" ???
    can't see that working.
  • That's not really a complaint, is it? That's just a request for your money back.

You'd tell them why you think it was mis sold. eg You were unemployed, you had savings of 500k, you're Prince William and you nan would have paid it off for you, etc.
    so what I just say "I think I had PPI refund me" ???
    can't see that working.
    I can't either.
    Remember it is not somehow wrong simply to have insurance.

If you want a refund, you need to show that the PPI policy was mis-sold to you.
  • I obviously don't know what savings I had when I took out a loan 20+years ago. I know what it was for and that's about it. I couldn't even tell you how much I borrowed.

If I don't know if I had PPI how would I have a clue if it was missold ???
  • Exactly my point. I don't know if I had PPI so don't have a clue if it was mis-sold.

From the replies so far I seriously think I am better off handing this over to a claims company and just taking whatever I get.
  • What mis sale reasons will you ask them to write on the form for you though?
    I don't know if I had PPI
    So the first thing to ascertain is whether you actually had PPI. You do this in the first instance by simply asking your bank(s) directly if they have any record of you having PPI.

Only if they answer in the affirmative do you advance to actual complaint.

A claims company will not obtain a refund for you if you didn't actually have PPI and can do nothing you cannot do yourself and for free.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure