PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2017

Options

Comments

• CAZBEAR
    CAZBEAR Posts: 554 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Jellies went down well at s/w so pleased with that..
    Cake is nice so pleased with that too !:D

Have to make do with staying the same weight tho' so not so pleased!!
    Dh and dd busy minimising the christmas chocs for me so at least thats one less temptation..
    I must make a note not to buy so many next year, as we always get given lots and end up eating them until easter !!
    Best headline ever on local paper??
    "Weight loss group doubles in size"
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    any decent recipes for peanut butter cookies ???
  • poppy811
    poppy811 Posts: 540 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Everyone and apologies for not posting recently. Have been very low since my husbands death last year but am now getting help from Cruse. It was quite a wait but I am already feeling more positive. I am in the process of moving to a village nearby that has shops and bus routes and my GP is based there too. At the moment I seem to paying out money at an alarming rate but the end result will see more money in the Bank. This will take quite a bit of pressure off me because all my husbands pensions stopped when he died.

Anyway I have been minimising like crazy, I am on first name terms with a couple of guys at the tip and there will be several more trips to do! A carboot is planned when the weather warms up and there is also some things to take to the charity shop.

I am trying hard to reduce the contents of the freezer before the move but am still adjusting to cooking for one. Cookery is a passion of mine and my late husband was a joy to cook for - he loved his food! Will try to contribute more often to this thread
  • Hughesfamily
    Options
    Ingredients

Instructions
    1. Mix all ingredients together by spoon in medium sized mixing bowl. Stir well.
    2. Place dough in fridge, and refrigerate dough for 45 minutes.
    3. After 45 minutes, roll dough into small balls, and place on ungreased Cookie Sheet.
    4. Use fork to gently press down on top of each cookie ball… once each way to make a criss-cross pattern.
    5. Bake at 350 degrees for 8 – 10 minutes, or until done. ENJOY!! So simple and SO delish
    Debt to pay off: £1600 Jan £1400
    Emergency Fund £200 £230 saved of £1000 
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Ingredients

Instructions
    1. Mix all ingredients together by spoon in medium sized mixing bowl. Stir well.
    2. Place dough in fridge, and refrigerate dough for 45 minutes.
    3. After 45 minutes, roll dough into small balls, and place on ungreased Cookie Sheet.
    4. Use fork to gently press down on top of each cookie ball… once each way to make a criss-cross pattern.
    5. Bake at 350 degrees for 8 – 10 minutes, or until done. ENJOY!! So simple and SO delish

No flour at all ?
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Poppy - do be gentle with yourself it's very early days so pleased you are getting some support
    I'm a bit concerned that you said all your husband's pensions have stopped. Often they will carry on paying a reduced amount. Don't want to to pry but hope you've had some advice.
    Lovely sunshine here but cold wind but I'm going to make the effort and go for a walk to blow the cobwebs away!
    Will do the leftover pork for a curry tonight when I get back.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    JackieO: This is a recipe I've used.

8 tblsp plain flour
    2 tblsp caster sugar
    2 tblsp peanut butter
    1 egg yolk
    1 3/4 oz butter
    Mix all ingredients to a soft dough. Roll into walnut-sized balls (or bigger if you want big cookies!) and flatten slightly. Place on lined baking sheet (they spread quite a bit) and bake for 10 mins at 180C. Cool for 10 mins.
    Enjoy!! :)
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • Disflop
    Disflop Posts: 91 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello all, sorry for not posting recently, it's been very busy, but I have been MMM'ing as much as possible.
    Firstly I have managed to lose 7lbs so far, so I'm minimising me quite nicely!!
    I am making do as much as I can with food stocks - I am quite amazed at how many meals it's still possible to make when you think there's nothing in! I have halved the food budget since Christmas, just by only buying what we actually NEED each week.
    The toiletries cupboard is still pretty full, so it will be a while before I need to replace anything there too.
    I've mended a couple of DH jumpers, once upon a time I would definitely have thrown at least one of them away - it needed what I consider to be major surgery!! As it is one of his favourites I decided to give it a go and it doesn't look too bad, so he's very happy.
    Hope to get time to look back through the thread later this week to see what everyone's been up to.
  • Lynplatinum
    Options
    Evening All

Floss - thank you for your help re freezing a potato bake - have put some of this in the freezer (labeled) so when I eat it I will let you all know if it defrosts Ok.

Poppy - I am sorry for your loss but I share silva's worries about what you have been told re your husband's pensions. Some firms are v sneaky - I suggest that you try CAB for initial advice don't rely on what the pension firms tell you - when my mum passed one tried to say there was no capitol for me to claim. They also said, informally that it would take ages to process and wouldn't be very much and so not really worth doing when I challenged them on it. It took them about 6 months and me threatening them with ombudsman and ringing them once a week (towards the end) for them to cough up £2000 - which to me, at least is a significant sum!! :eek:

Jackie O - Hugh F Whittingstall has a fab recipe for peanut butter flapjack - he calls em booster bars - meant to replicate 'breakfast bars' but a healthier version. They fill my lads up!! recipe is here https://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/honey-and-peanut-butter-booster-bars but if I haven't got the link to work properly - let me know and I can type it out for you from his recipe book I have at home. :D

Make Do: a lot of this foodwise - using up all the veg bought the other week!! Also DS1's GF has replaced the pockets on DS1's jeans with old baby grows cut up for the purpose!
    Mend: see make do but also have finally got picture frames up as I found the picture wire I knew was hiding somewhere and DS1 has done the tying of the wire and the certificates are up oon the wall. My wrist as it is getting better but still very stiff and sore at the end of the day - physio says I am doing well and can see that I'm doing my exercises! :j
    Minimise: Hopefully me as I walked over to my physio appointment (4 miles there and back!) Its also cheaper than bus (£3) or car. Also less damage to the environment - plus beautiful views over Hayle!!!

Trying to minimise some of my Mum's stuff still - anyone on here any ideas about whom to approach re old coins and books to sell?? (preferably near Cornwall or Milton Keynes???
    Thanks folks.
    Nite All
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs :cool: NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22) :j
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista :j
  • Athome1
    Athome1 Posts: 345 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have gone back to lurking but I do enjoy reading everyones posts ...I am MMMing but what with work, sharing the looking after of my darling DGS and looking after the house and garden on my own (widow) I fall into bed each night too crackered to do more read!! Lovely to feel a part of everyones lives even if a few steps removed;) Keep up the good work ladies (apologies to any men on here..I have assumed we're all female). Have a good day all x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure