Stupid question alert!!

Options
Please be gentle but my husband asked me a question yesterday and i couldn't answer it. He got his pension forecast (hes 40 years old, employed and pays into a private pension). The value of the fund is approx £50,000 at the moment and going forward it says he will get a pension of around £3000 per annum when he retires which is obviously not a great deal. He asked me why should he bother with a pension and why doesn't he just save the money in an ISA instead until he retires. He said the pension doesn't go to me if anything happened to him either and the cash would. What reason can i give him that a pension is a good idea versus saving the cash in an ISA/bank account?

Thanks in advance and again apologies from a pension novice!

Comments

• atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    First off, if the figure of 3K is too low (and it will be low on purpose as a wort case scenario) it is logical to assume that rather than stopping it- you should pay in more.

Second, Isas. What type? Cash? Would be worth a fraction of today, as it would be eroded by inflation. S&S isas? Sure they are good for retirement, but not as good as a pension. Useful for before age 55 if you are retiring really early.

Look at your husbands pension. He pays in 80, which becomes 100 with the gift of tax relief Then his employer pays in 100. So he has 200 in his pension that cost him only 80. Pay 80 into into an ISA- it is only 80.

So which is better, 80 or 200?
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,941 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    crazygal wrote: »
    He said the pension doesn't go to me if anything happened to him either and the cash would.

Really? The pension will go to whoever he has nominated as his beneficiary. (To be exact, the trustees of the pension scheme will pay out the fund value tax free at their discretion, but in practice, they will almost certainly follow his expression of wish.) In the absence of an expression of wish they would almost certainly pay it to the wife, unless there was another dependent with a compelling claim. Who has he nominated to receive his pension benefits if not you?
  • crazygal_2
    Options
    Unfortunately his work only offer 1% and it's virtually nothing so he's set up his own private one paying in £68 a month
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ... The value of the fund is approx £50,000 at the moment and going forward it says he will get a pension of around £3000 per annum when he retires

On what basis? That's to say: (i) Does it assume he'll keep contributing, or is it based only on the amount already there? (ii) Is the £3k p.a. index-linked i.e. is it suggesting that he'll get enough to be worth the same as 3k p.a. is today?
    which is obviously not a great deal. He asked me why should he bother with a pension and why doesn't he just save the money in an ISA instead until he retires.

Depending on your answers to the questions above it looks a splendid deal to me. £50k, which because of the tax relief cost him a good bit less than £50k, will in due course yield 6% p.a. index-linked for the rest of his days. Where else does he imagine he can get a deal that good?
    He said the pension doesn't go to me if anything happened to him either and the cash would.

Use your feminine wiles to find a palatable way of telling him he's talking tripe. Is he really planning to buy a single-life annuity? Spank his bottom!
    What reason can i give him that a pension is a good idea versus saving the cash in an ISA/bank account?

(a) If his retirement is further off than a few years then saving in cash alone is a huge gamble. One burst of inflation and it could lose a lot of value. Even at the moment he'll not find a Cash ISA that isn't losing value compared to inflation. You need to diversify - some cash, some shares, some this, some that. Cash only would probably be a mistake.

(b) Does he really wish to deny himself the wonderful tax deal on pensions? It sounds to me as if he's been listening to mutton-headed, know-nothing friends.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • crazygal_2
    Options
    He has nominated me as the beneficiary but he's read it that the pension just stops if anything happens to him and I get nothing - it's a complete minefield to us and I think we need to sit down with an IFA to be clear what's what
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,626 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    but pension contributions are still tax free whereas ISAs aren't so there is an instant 20% difference there before you start.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • crazygal_2
    Options
    That's is precisely what he has been doing !!!
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    he value of the fund is approx £50,000 at the moment and going forward it says he will get a pension of around £3000 per annum when he retires which is obviously not a great deal.

This suggests a failure in the understanding of the income projection assumptions. £50,000 at 65 can produce £3k. So, clearly its not going to still be £50k in 20 or so years time.

The income projections understate the likely outcome. They use the worst combination of assumptions (that most people do not use - but there maybe someone that does) to generate an example figure. They also use growth rates that are significantly lower than long term averages and they then deduct 2.5% p.a. to give the figure in todays spending power.
    . He asked me why should he bother with a pension and why doesn't he just save the money in an ISA instead until he retires.

If the same assumptions were put into the ISA, it would actually show the money going down and probably having near zero income in retirement.
    He said the pension doesn't go to me if anything happened to him either

Does your husband not love you? He decides who it goes to by nominating the beneficiary. If its not you, who has he nominated?
    What reason can i give him that a pension is a good idea versus saving the cash in an ISA/bank account?

Best reason is his complete lack of understanding. You should never make really important decisions on the basis of rubbish information and bad understanding.

I do personally feel that the current assumptions on pensions have gone too far. Yes, the old 80s and early 90s projections were too high but now they have gone too far the other way and you often see ridiculous outcomes and your husband is not the first person to misunderstand these and come to the wrong conclusion.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Unfortunately his work only offer 1% and it's virtually nothing so he's set up his own private one paying in £68 a month

So he in effect throwing AWAY 1% of his salary. So throwing away 200 for each 20K he earns. Not much, but better than nothing
  • crazygal_2
    Options
    No he is in that one but has a private one too
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills