Extra RAM to speed up PC

Options

Comments

• TROY-100
    TROY-100 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    I am a technophobe. I've also downloaded ccleaner on my computer. It really speeds up a PC! Try it! x
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    what else did you do?
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    Intel® G41 /ICH7

No AHCI or RAID(hardware) support.

Look for ICH9 upwards.

Does your PC have a Celeron CPU or is it one of these? http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/product_detail/14450/Hi-Grade-Desktop-PC-E5400-Dual-Core-2-7GHz-2GB-250GB-Windows-7-Pro/

You are better off spending £40 on a half decent Dell Optiplex, 780 upwards, than spending more on the Hi-Grade.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,670 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Intel® G41 /ICH7

No AHCI or RAID(hardware) support.

Look for ICH9 upwards.

Does your PC have a Celeron CPU or is it one of these? http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/product_detail/14450/Hi-Grade-Desktop-PC-E5400-Dual-Core-2-7GHz-2GB-250GB-Windows-7-Pro/

You are better off spending £40 on a half decent Dell Optiplex, 780 upwards, than spending more on the Hi-Grade.

Curiously, the PC that I use all the time has a 2.2 GHz core2duo CPU and is similar vintage to the HiGrade. It's fine for internet surfing, word processing, spreadsheets, etc.

It was slowing down, but an SSD breathed new life into it. It's not a long term solution, but it's fine at the moment for these tasks.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • misterthrifty
    Options
    Hi
    Thanks for all of the replies. I was hoping for a nice easy & cheap solution but it seems to be much more complicated.
    I used the W10 re-install to get a clean system on it but even after that when it is first turned on the little red CPU light stays on for up to 5 minutes even though I have reduced the startup programmes as much as I can and then if the computer has to open a programme it can take a couple of minutes before anything will work at all. I only use it for internet, office or other simple applications.
    I'm afraid some of the questions are a bit beyond my computer knowledge but I was just looking for a cheap and fairly easy fix to improve it.
  • were
    were Posts: 632 Forumite
    edited 11 March 2017 at 2:28PM
    Options
    misterthrifty, you could go to a command prompt, or Start > Run, or Win key + r and type msinfo32

The screen has a left and right half (2 columns). By default the top item on the left half is selected "System Summary" and leave this alone.

On the right half click "OS Name" it turns blue. It only turns blue and nothing else. :) Press Control-a (to select all) and everything turns blue. Press Control-c (copies he text on the screen)

in a nice new 'reply to thread' window on here press control-v. or right click mouse and paste.

This will inform the good people here to some extent on what they have to work with

and you get a post like this below

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
    Version 10.0.14393 Build 14393
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name DESKTOP-X24GTY7
    System Manufacturer SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD.
    System Model 350V5C/351V5C/3540VC/3440VC
    System Type x64-based PC
    System SKU P09ABE
  • Jivesinger
    Jivesinger Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi
    Thanks for all of the replies. I was hoping for a nice easy & cheap solution but it seems to be much more complicated.
    I used the W10 re-install to get a clean system on it but even after that when it is first turned on the little red CPU light stays on for up to 5 minutes even though I have reduced the startup programmes as much as I can and then if the computer has to open a programme it can take a couple of minutes before anything will work at all. I only use it for internet, office or other simple applications.
    I'm afraid some of the questions are a bit beyond my computer knowledge but I was just looking for a cheap and fairly easy fix to improve it.
    A new Windows 10 installation can spend a lot of resources at first while it's trying to sort itself out. It may get better after you've just left it switched on for a while.
    Mind you, 5 minutes is still very slow.
  • emptybox
    emptybox Posts: 442 Forumite
    Options
    If you want to see if more RAM would be helpful, then open up Task Manager (right click on taskbar and select), and keep an eye on the RAM usage as you work.
    If it's getting up to 80 or 90% usage then more RAM would alleviate that.

But find out the specs first. Especially whether it's a 32 or 64 bit system.
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,163 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Bunging some memory in can help; I try and do a minimum of 4 GB.

I wouldn't go beyond 4 GB of PC-6400 on a computer (because that type of memory is only used on older systems which don't support current model processors) but that amount can be had relatively cheaply.

An SSD instead of a hard disk can also speed things up, but that's £60-100 to spend, so questionable returns for the expenditure.

Depending on the motherboard, the CPU can be upgraded; I've done that a couple of times and achieved some level of performance improvement.

However, there is a fundamental limit to the performance of that system, so if you are expecting a really snappy performance then it simply is not going to achieve it.
  • EdwardB
    EdwardB Posts: 462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 March 2017 at 2:25PM
    Options
    Hi

I have an old Hi-Grade PC running Windows 10 which is getting a bit slow. I carried out a check on the Crucial website and it currently has 2x 1GB DDR PC2 5300 memory sticks. My question is, would upgrading to 2GB sticks make a substantial improvement and what specification should I be looking for to upgrade for a reasonable price and where to look?

TIA
    Mr T

Short answer is that there is plenty of life left in your machine if you are prepared to upgrade it but you may want to question whether it is worth spending the money when you can get more modern components or even a PC for the same or less money.

So like so much in this world it really comes down to money.

Assuming the monitor does not need changing there are 5 things that can be changed

1. Memory
    2. CPU
    3. NIC
    4. Motherboard
    5. Hard disk

Usually when people say they have a memory problem on here a load of people pile in and tell you to upgrade the hard disk to SSD or Hybrid SSD and this makes sense from a financial point of view as the SSD will have some value in any replacement PC. Investing in Memory or CPU for your current motherboard is usually a sunken cost, although you might recoup a bit by selling the upgraded Motherboard, Ram and CPU on eBay if you were lucky and knew how to price it.

From an Engineering point of view replacing the hard disk does not address the problem, despite the fact that it may feel more responsive; albeit that if it is the only component you change then the you will shorten the life of the SSD, as it will be doing loads of page writes rather than just caching your most used system files for reading.

PC performance is all about balance, sometimes if you improve one component you just move the bottleneck to the next weak point so you may end up having to upgrade more components. This is why it often becomes a financial decision.

You probably know that if you change the motherboard you will have to change the CPU and Memory, however, this can make financial and engineering sense, as current components are cheaper. For example to get your current mobo to 8gb could cost you £175.20 ( 2 x £87.60)

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/4gb-crucial-ddr2-pc2-5300

Now you might get away with spending £54 on a 4gb upgrade but if you wanted to upgrade to 8gb later you would have to replace the £54 memory as your mobo only has 2 slots.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/4gb-(2x2gb)-crucial-ddr2-desktop-memory-kit-pc2-5300-(667)-non-ecc-unbuffered-cas-5-18v

Replacing the ram will not make your system run any faster as such, but it will stop it being slowed down by the current paging to hard disk. So adding an SSD will FEEL faster but it does not solve the engineering issue.

You have a lot of options to upgrade the CPU with Core™2 Quad or Core™2 Extreme which WILL make it run faster but at a price, it will use more power and increase your energy bill. Again does not deal with the engineering problem, in fact it may make it worse as it will push data faster and add pressure to slowest component.

So you could spend the money on Memory, CPU and an SSD as well to make this into a competent beast, but you could spend less money on a new Mobo, Ram and CPU. This would give you a cooler running system using less power. The memory for a new system would be substantially cheaper at £58 for a single 8gb DDR4 module or £33 for a single 4gb module.

A new Mobo could cost you between £50 and perhaps £400, but that £50 is for a half decent motherboard and £80 will get you a bells and whistles budget system. You would need to check your power supply was powerful enough, however, unless you are making a gaming beast chances are it will be fine.

A basic CPU for that Mobo could feel a lot faster even though it might be entry level and cost around £42.

So you are looking at throwing money away on old components from £54 to £175 plus the cost of an SSD or CPU if needed.

Alternatively you can spend £33+£50+£42=£125 to £58+£80+£42=£180 the difference is that this spend will not be a sunken cost, it could be further upgraded and have years of life in it.

At the same time you can pick up new PC's that were returns to places like Argos on Ebay at prices from £140. So bear that in mind.

Now the "SSD solves everything" brigade can pile in as being usable beyond the life of this PC, but as I said if you use it in this way all that page swapping that is slowing down your system will still happen and will reduce the life of the SSD unit.

Still if you want to go down that route, you have two choices, a legacy 3.5inch SSD drive will cost you around £93

http://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/p5qpl-am/CT8444744

or you could stick in a 2.5inch small one just for windows for around £53 or a Hybrid (SSHD) is a cheaper option.

https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/hard-drives-ssd/1510/1851/2375

Here are crucials other upgrade options for your mobo

http://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/compatible-upgrade-for/ASUS/p5qpl-am

You do not say what your current CPU and hard disk capacity is, if you post back your CPU I can let you know what modern CPU will be a bit faster.

At this point in time if you do not have much money then the £53 SSD is a quick and dirty fix, but I would not do that.

If I was on a tight budget I would buy a reconditioned but newish PC, without monitor these can cost from around £140 on eBay and are as new (e.g. Acer Aspire), or I would do the Mobo, CPU and Memory upgrades listed above.
    Please be nice to all MoneySavers. That’s the forum motto. Remember, the prime aim is to help provide info and resources. If you don’t like someone, their situation, their question or feel they’re intruding on ‘your board’ then please bite the bullet and think of the bigger issue. :cool::)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure