PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Maternity Leave

Options
Emsky*
Emsky* Posts: 172 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 28 June 2016 at 5:13PM in Old style MoneySaving
Hi Everyone

I'm currently 27 weeks pregnant with our first child & I'll be taking 12 months maternity leave but I'm in a bit of a panic, how can I keep costs down whilst still enjoying my time off with my little one?

We will be going from two full time wages down to one, which my husband says will be fine but I'm so used to having two wages coming in I want to make sure we're prepared should the worst happen.

At the moment we are stockpiling the following (Ald* & M*rrisons):

(House) - I'm hoping to find the energy to spring clean the house so it will hopefully be easier to keep on top of when baby gets here *Wishful Thinking*

-Toilet Paper
-Washing up Liquid
-Washing Powder
-Bleach
-Bin Bags

(Food) - I want to start to get myself into meal planning so I will be scanning the boards for slow cooker friendly meals

-Beans
-Tinned Tomatoes
-Frozen veg
- Pasta
- Rice

(Toiletries) - I have probably forgotten something off this list but I can come back & edit if need be

-Shampoo & Conditioner
- Shower Gel
- Toothpaste
- Deodorant

(Baby) - At the moment I'm planning on breastfeeding so I don't know whether to buy some baby milk in just in case it doesn't work out. We have bought all the essentials from a list so now it's just the day to day bits and bobs we need. Can't think of anything else to add at the minute though.

- Nappies
- Nappy Bags
- Baby Wipes

Moneywise we currently have 3 months worth of bills saved for, an account with money saved for baby (i.e. baby clothes for when she starts growing too big for the things we have bought/been given).
Every month we put extra into the electric & gas bill DD so will hopefully be well in front with the payments for this, but need to look for a better deal around October as the fixed rate finishes.

If anyone has anything they can add or any suggestions on making my maternity leave O/S I'd love to know :)
If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!
[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
"Friendship is certainly the finest balm for the pangs of disappointed love." Jane Austen.

Comments

• flutterbyuk25
    flutterbyuk25 Posts: 7,009 Forumite
    Options
    I am in same boat as you, just a bit ahead of you, I'm 35 weeks. I finish work next week :) I am planning on taking 9 months off, maybe 12 if we can afford it.

I have started actually stockpiling things last week, we have the money set aside, and will do a big shop online when maternity leave starts to have it delivered. I think you have covered the basics. Things on my list that you don't have are:

Kitchen Roll
    Cleaning Spray
    Cat food/litter
    Squash/Soft drinks
    UHT milk
    Coffee/tea
    Cereal
    Ketchup (we go through a lot somehow!)
    Packed lunch items (for step kids)
    Hair dye, moisturiser, painkillers

I too am planning to breastfeed so am not getting any baby milk/formula. I figure if the worst happens then OH can go to 24 hours supermarket to get some!

From what I've read I wouldn't stockpile nappies as you don't know which brand will suit baby. Get a few different packs in, I have Aldi and Asda ones, and once you know which suit then buy them.

We are lucky to have a spare fridge freezer in garage so I plan on batch cooking a few meals and putting them in there, also getting some bread, milk and cakes to freeze.

I will admit to contemplating booking a cleaner to do the bathrooms (we have 2 and another toilet!) and kitchen for me cos I'm struggling with the smell of cleaning stuff.

Good luck!
    * Rainbow baby boy born 9th August 2016 *

* Slimming World follower (I breastfeed so get 6 hex's!) *
  • flipper_72
    flipper_72 Posts: 671 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A couple of things we did, as soon as we knew I was pregnant, cut back on spending and lived on what we would have coming in during maternity leave. We saved the balance for emergencies (but ended up not spending it and bought a bigger car). We bought cloth nappies, a mix of new and second hand - saves a fortune and can be used for future children. Second time round I made bulk meals and froze them for when baby was small and I didn't have the energy to cook. I set up a few on-line trolleys which contained a week or so worth of food so I could arrange a delivery quickly just adding any extras rather than trawling through the whole thing.
    Your bulk buy lists look good, for us I would add breakfast cereal and oats for porridge / flapjacks (oats are good for milk production).
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Talk about the blind leading the blind.........I have never given birth to a baby, I adopted my two, and that was getting on for 50 years ago, but that is not going to stop me weighing in with my five pennorth.

Things are easier these days..oh yes they are. My advice is to get as many meals made and frozen as possible. The first few weeks are chaotic enough without worrying about cooking.

Also, I was amazed at how little my DIL spent on baby equipment and clothes. She got almost everything on EBay. Most of it seemed almost new and when she had finished with it she put it back on the Bay and recouped her money ready for the next ' must have'. She still buys bundles of clothes as children have this annoying habit of growing overnight and some of the clothes are hardly worn before they have been outgrown.
    A lot of DGD's Christmas presents last year came from Freegle. Even better.

Good luck.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Options
    If you are really bothered, then get a couple of the small ready-made formula packs (only more expensive if you actually bottle feed). However, I'm sure you'll breast feed fine - as most women do.

Off at a tangent, I would check out your children's centres (if you have one) or other places where new mums gather. They are a great support for general new baby stuff, breast feeding, and tips on keeping costs down and where bargains are to be found.

Definitely have a coupe of meals in the freezer that are ready to simply defrost, for those days when the time disappears (so you don't get take-away!). And do think about a few easy lunches as well: if you are breast feeding, you will need easy, nutritious meals & snacks (yes, flipper, flapjacks with fried fruit in are great!). I suggest making a few single person batches of frozen soups. Also, ensure room in your freezer for chucking in any left-overs that will make stock or soup.
    I usually have a few packs of oatcakes by, so that if I have no time or energy to make or get bread, I can have a few of those with soup or cheese.
  • HOWMUCH
    HOWMUCH Posts: 1,296 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 June 2016 at 1:05PM
    Options
    You should be able to get some maternity pay, you may get child allowance, look to see if your entitled to anything else. You're doing everything my DD did 4 years ago and she's done it again another baby due at the end of July. She's stock piled tins filled the freezer and I will be doing her some batch cooking and freezing ready for quick meals when the baby arrives. DD is working until she's 36 week (finishes next Friday) she will take 2 weeks annual leave so her maternity pay kicks in 2 weeks before baby is due, this gives her more paid leave after the baby. Good luck x
    Why pay full price when you may get it YS ;)
  • Icey77
    Icey77 Posts: 1,247 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    When looking for the next size up clothing and equipment try the local NCT Nearly new sale - they have loads of bargains as the parents want to sell al their kit that their kids have grown out of and recoup some pounds. You don't have to be a member to get entry to the sale, members do get early entry though.

I sell all my kids stuff there and I price it to sell, as do most seller I think - they are usually twice a year spring and autumn so you may need to think two seasons ahead to what age your child will be when picking through the racks.

Not only small equipment but large items like buggies and cotbeds can be bought there too. I appreciate that it's your first child so you may want to buy new for them - it's a very exciting time for you!

Good luck!!
    Whether you think you can or you can’t, you’re probably right ~ Henry Ford
  • cheel
    cheel Posts: 195 Forumite
    Options
    Hello! Congratulations!!

I have to say that until my son started school I hardly needed to buy him clothes as I get given so much. He is 8 and I have bags and boxes of what I've been given sorted into age up to age 12, in turn I then pass it along. So please dont panic too much about clothes. They do often just 'arrive!'

Also my son has sensitive skin, but aldi nappies really suited him. Any wet wipe however made his little bum red. Still does. So get cotton wool for bum change time!

If you do choose to get some formula. 'just in case' dont get too much. I had to stop breast feeding because i was very ill, but my son (who was with my mum) had a definite preference for cow and gate. I had got aptamil as it was what my daughter had when I couldn't feed her (she was a premie and my milk just never came in). Its blimmin expensive stuff to waste!!

I would definitely echo a freezer full of frozen meals! A flippin lifesaver!! Also when people say 'is there anything I can do to help?' Say yes! And give them a job to do. They mean it, and you need to rest and bond with your brand new human!!

Good luck. Being a mummy is the best thing in the entire world.

Xx
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent - Eleanor Roosevelt

May grocery challenge £7.58 / £200

May no spend days: 1st , 2nd, 3rd
  • ERICS_MUM
    ERICS_MUM Posts: 3,579 Forumite
    Options
    Emsky*, you might want to add an anti-bacterial hand wash and hand cream to your toiletries list. My niece had such sore hands from constantly washing her hands. (She might have overdone it, I have no idea what's 'normal').

What about stockpiling some treats such as a box of chocolate biscuits from M&S, frozen cheesecake in the freezer etc ?

You sound very organised ! Very best wishes for your future.

EM xx
  • Emsky*
    Emsky* Posts: 172 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you so much for all your advice & ideas! I apologise already for this long post but I don’t like to just read & run.

Flutterbyuk25 – Thank you &Good Luck to you too!” I bet you’re so excited about meeting your little bundle soon. My hubby agrees with you about only buying loads of nappies once we know which baby will prefer J x

Flipper_72 – Thank you for your advice about the oats helping with breast milk, I’d never heard of that. The cloth nappies are they just the muslin or do you have to have special materials? x

Monnagran – Thank you, I’ll definitely be thinking of putting the things we’ve bought back on eB*y, we managed to get an M*thercare cotbed off there for £41 which I still have to say has been our biggest bargain of the moment. x

Jackyann – Thank you Jackyann, you always hear horror stories of babies not taking very well to breastfeeding but fingers crossed it won’t be the case. Also I’ll start looking into local baby groups to keep me from going insane in the house. x

HOWMUCH – Thank you & Good Luck to your DD, I’ll able to get the SMP up until the last 3 months, but I don’t think we’ll be able to claim anything else due to our combined wages but I will have a look into this. x

Icey77 – Thank you, I’ll keep the NCT in mind I keep trying to talk hubby into buying clothes for next year but he’s not having any of it he thinks she might be a giant baby & not fit in the stuff we buy her for later on lol. x

Cheel – Thank you, I’m hoping a few of our friends who have recently had babies will start to pass things along (Cheeky I know) so we won’t have to start going into baby clothes savings too early. x

ERICS MUM – Thank you, M&S chocolate biscuits will be going on the list I never even thought of buying things like this to stockpile (For visitors of course) x

I have amended my lists to include some of the suggestions which will apply to us

(House) – This weekend the plan is to go through under the sink & use up any half used cleaning products, to make room for stockpiling.

-Toilet Paper
    -Washing up Liquid
    -Washing Powder
    -Bleach
    -Bin Bags
    -Kitchen Roll
    -Spray Bleach

(Food) – Today’s aim is to start printing off recipes & food lists to start a plan for meal planning & bulk freezing meals.

- Beans
    - Tinned Tomatoes
    - Frozen veg
    - Pasta
    - Rice

- Cereals (Porridge oats)
    - Biscuits
    - Tea

(Toiletries) -

- Shampoo & Conditioner
    - Shower Gel
    - Toothpaste
    - Deodorant
    - Anti-bacterial hand gel

(Baby) -

- Nappies
    - Nappy Bags
    - Baby Wipes

- Cotton Wool

"Friendship is certainly the finest balm for the pangs of disappointed love." Jane Austen.

• HOWMUCH
    HOWMUCH Posts: 1,296 Forumite
    Options
    Emsky* you are like daughter then she doesn't get anything re child allowance etc. She is going back to work when the baby is 6 months old, which she did before. Her partner will be taking the last 3 months as she is the higher earner in the relationship. They are both high earners but DD is the highest. We are the childcare providers instead of nursery from a very young age.
    Why pay full price when you may get it YS ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure