How many of you have a secret bank account...

Options
That your wife\husband does not know about?

Just to put your own money away into to save up for yourself?

I'm thinking of opening a secret account so I can secretly save up, for personal reasons, its not for divorce. :P

Comments

• worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    All men have a squirrel fund. Those that say they don't are especially good at hiding it away.
  • veryintrigued
    veryintrigued Posts: 3,843 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Anyone called Dan from Westhoughton whose wife or friends read this forum might be having an interesting breakfast!

You do realise others can see your posting history too?
  • Carolinemjs
    Carolinemjs Posts: 132 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh dear this really made me laugh this morning, thank you ��������
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Does a tin box under my desk with lots of 1p, 2p 5p and some old 50 pence coins qualify?

It wouldn't last long if I had to use it!
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,463 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not me personally, but a relative had one in case a relationship with her now husband went south/he turned out to be completely irresponsible.

Ironically she is a mad sprendthrift and I think he had a lot more to worry about on that front :rotfl:

I keep some money in a separate bank account, but only because my wife doesn't save :D
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    dan2312 wrote: »
    That your wife\husband does not know about?

Just to put your own money away into to save up for yourself?

I'm thinking of opening a secret account so I can secretly save up, for personal reasons, its not for divorce. :P

I have instant access savings accounts but they are not really secret. My OH is not interested in financial matters. Not really unusual for a partner to have a secret money stash. Going back into the mists of time usually it was the wife/mother who had it as a family rainy day fund. My late mother had one.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Anyone called Dan from Westhoughton whose wife or friends read this forum might be having an interesting breakfast!
    Quite Partridge-esque :)
    "We have a caller on the line who fears he may be a gay, he's married so we'll only refer to him by his Christian name. This is Domingo from Little Oakley."
  • mt99
    mt99 Posts: 472 Forumite
    Options
    Remember, HMRC are in the process of populating your bank, savings etc accounts on your tax return so you will need to keep that secret too...
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,032 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    My mother had a Post Office savings account where she stashed money, no particular reason apart from the war legacy of 'being without'.

A friend of mine DID have a secret 'leaving husband' account which served her well the first time he hit her. She would take cashback when shopping and put it in the PO. Both were working in high earning jobs so she wasn't robbing him.

My accounts aren't secret but I do carry about my person a couple of high value banknotes, just in case - not too sure what the case may be but it makes me feel better. Again, it must be a legacy of my poverty days and memory of filling the car up with fuel and my card being declined in the 1980s. :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure