Short term landline & broadband?

Options
LadyDee
LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
I'm currently with Plusnet and my Line Rental Saver is up for renewal beginning of December.

I also have Anytime Call Plan with Plusnet, and as I anticipated moving overseas before the contract should be renewed I decided just to pay the full monthly price for that as I thought I'd only need it for a couple of months (that is £19) rather than pay hefty cancellation charges for the line rental and broadband/calls.

So, what I'm looking for really is the cheapest possible way to get landline and broadband/phone on a month to month basis so that I could just cancel with a month's notice?

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 October 2017 at 10:03AM
    Options
    confused with your question.

The cheapest place without any cancellation charges will be to stay where you are.

But you need to do the Maths.

If you will stay here for 9 months, it maybe better to move to a good deal and pay the cancellation charges.

If you are only here for 3 months, just stay where you are and pay premium prices.

Then you need to factor in the probability of you still being here in 12 months anyway

P.S student deals are 9 months - could be an option?
  • LadyDee
    Options
    AndyPK wrote: »
    confused with your question.

The cheapest place without any cancellation charges will be to stay where you are.

But you need to do the Maths.

If you will stay here for 9 months, it maybe better to move to a good deal and pay the cancellation charges

P.S student deals are 9 months - could be an option?

I SO wish a student deal would be the option - are there any deals for an OAP:)

When I move will depend entirely on when I sell my home - it's just completely unknown.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    As already stated, the obvious decision would be to move from your LRS deal seamlessly to Plusnet 'standard' line rental , and standard broadband, that way you are only a maximum of 30 days notice away from quitting...you don't benifit from any reduction in price for a new minimum term with the provider, but don't have to worry about early termination charges, if in 12 months you haven't moved, then you paid slightly more than you could have, but hindsight is a wonderful thing
  • LadyDee
    Options
    iniltous wrote: »
    As already stated, the obvious decision would be to move from your LRS deal seamlessly to Plusnet 'standard' line rental , and standard broadband, that way you are only a maximum of 30 days notice away from quitting...you don't benifit from any reduction in price for a new minimum term with the provider, but don't have to worry about early termination charges, if in 12 months you haven't moved, then you paid slightly more than you could have, but hindsight is a wonderful thing

Thanks, I'm sure you are both right about staying with Plusnet - I was just hoping that somebody might come up with a hidden gem which would save me a few £s.
  • Sparx
    Sparx Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP there are several companies that offer a 1 month rolling contract broadband service. However they all charge setup fees of approx £50-60 to supplement this or higher monthly packages.

So if you do the math you'll likely end up better just staying with your current provider on a rolling 30 day notice basis. Even if it is higher cost per month.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure