Saving for a Deposit in Brighton and Hove

Options
Hi All,

An avid reader of MSE and I thought like everyone else here, I would benefit from starting this thread to keep myself accountable for saving towards this goal.

My original goal a couple of years ago was £20,000 for a flat deposit.
Based on house prices in Brighton/Hove, the extra fees and furniture required. The overall goal will be more like £35,000.

Buuuuuuut .... to keep my sanity in check I am going to maintain my £20k goal as "Goal 1" and then once achieved I will start " Goal 2: Fees Fund" etc.

So currently I am at £11,117.09 of Goal 1: £20,000 (56% Achieved)

My OH took a loan out years ago which he is still paying back, this limits his ability to save much money each month. Therefore I am only considering my own personal savings for this goal.

I have 3 days until payday with an expendable income of £1.28(!)
My OH thinks I'm mad half the time, by how much I deprive myself towards the end of the month just to squirrel everything I can into my savings.

But does anyone else get a buzz from this? :rotfl:

Comments

• savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Welcome Shuttle,

I think it is great you are saving and well done in having over 56% so far. :j:beer::money::T

I can relate to having so little at the end of the month. I only saved £20 this month and I have £3 till payday!!! usually I save more but it was due to the holidays and extra spending. I am having a pay cut at work so I am going to have to cut back on saving but I am definitely going to continue.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • Gibberish94
    Options
    Good luck! I'll be keeping a close eye on your thread as I live around the south east area too so I completely understand the struggle!! My savings are not going ANYWHERE near as well as yours but we all start somewhere right?!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Can I just say that furniture is optional. I've rarely got round to furniture where I've lived.

There are "quick fix" cheap alternatives, while you wait around for bargains.
  • Shuttle0027
    Options
    Good luck! I'll be keeping a close eye on your thread as I live around the south east area too so I completely understand the struggle!! My savings are not going ANYWHERE near as well as yours but we all start somewhere right?!

Yes absolutely! Everyone starts somewhere. I started getting serious about money saving a couple of years ago and I started with about £700 credit card debt and a student overdraft account. It takes commitment every month, saving as much as you can (no matter how insignificant it may seem at times). In time it grows!
  • Shuttle0027
    Options
    Can I just say that furniture is optional. I've rarely got round to furniture where I've lived.

There are "quick fix" cheap alternatives, while you wait around for bargains.

Yes when I have gotten to the point of buying a flat, I will definitely be shopping for bargains to furnish it. I guess I just want a little cushion there so that after I have paid out all my precious savings on a mortgage deposit that I'm not starting at Square one.
  • Shuttle0027
    Options
    Welcome Shuttle,

I think it is great you are saving and well done in having over 56% so far. :j:beer::money::T

I can relate to having so little at the end of the month. I only saved £20 this month and I have £3 till payday!!! usually I save more but it was due to the holidays and extra spending. I am having a pay cut at work so I am going to have to cut back on saving but I am definitely going to continue.

Yes it's almost a fun little challenge figuring out what meals you can cook with the ingredients you have or the cheapest you can buy in the shop. Haha I'm a bit sad, I know! :rotfl:

I'm sorry about your pay cut at work, I hope the circumstances are allowing you more free time? Which is a great thing! You can definitely reign in your spending to live within your new means and still save money.
  • Shuttle0027
    Options
    August Pay day has passed! Woohoo!

Another little deposit into the savings brings my current total to £11,815.41 of £20,000 deposit goal (59%).

I have had wedding in the Scottish Highlands last weekend and a mini cruise to Bruges this weekend. My weekends are rarely that busy, trust me this jet setting schedule is not a usual month for me. But months like this do require careful budgeting and seriously reigning in the urge to buy another £8 cocktail or a £4 coffee at the airport (£3.50 for the muffin as well, who am I kidding?! ) Sadly there is never much change from a tenner at a coffee shop. Having fun is one thing but a lot of the time we let our impulses carry us away from our goals.

I also got a little lucky, I found 37 Euros from a previous holiday lurking in a 'holiday purse'. I spent 7 euros on some lovely Belgian Chocolates and the rest I Traded to a friend for pounds £1 to 1 Euro. Far better than the exchange rate I would have got at a Bureau de change.

I'm hoping I can sweep a few extra £s into this total before the end of the month. Fingers Crossed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure