Which car should I go for

Options
Mishomeister
Mishomeister Posts: 1,051 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
I am looking to buy a first car for myself. There are 2 cars that would tick the boxes for criteria that I need. These are Nissan Micra and Vauxhal Corsa.
So I was looking for some one to advice me in favour of or agianst buying either of the above cars.

Comments

• Rolandtheroadie
    Options
    If you're thinking Micra, what about the Note?
    I don't really like ours purely as it's gutless, but I took it for it's MOT, and the tester had nothing but praise for them.
    Spoke to another mechanic as well, as his OH has one too and they're happy with it.
    Things I like about it is the headroom in the rear and the movable rear seat which gives you a larger boot or more rear legroom as required.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Don't buy a Corsa. Every young driver has them so insurance tends to be a bit higher.

You may well find second and third year prices are much better if you avoid a Corsa.
  • Rain_Shadow
    Rain_Shadow Posts: 1,798 Forumite
    Options
    You looked at all the shopping trolleys out there and decided the Micra and Corsa were your best options?
    You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friend's nose.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    I am interested in how you arrived at those 2 choices.

what age/value are you looking at
  • weeowens
    weeowens Posts: 81,990 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I am looking to buy a first car for myself. There are 2 cars that would tick the boxes for criteria that I need. These are Nissan Micra and Vauxhal Corsa.
    So I was looking for some one to advice me in favour of or agianst buying either of the above cars.
    Hi, what price level are you looking at ?
    What will be the miles that you do each year & what sort of trips eg long/short, motorways. Do you need space for luggage,shopping, buggy etc ?
    All these will determine what may the "best" for you.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    Honestly these days I don't think small cars are a good idea as a first car, the way other people drive, the way they seem to try to intimidate small cars, it can't be any good for driver confidence and in some respects it's no wonder you see so many being driven around so over cautiously.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Mishomeister
    Mishomeister Posts: 1,051 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Budget up to £1500 and insurance up to £1100 max are the main driving factors. Only the above 2 models would fit in.
  • Frudd
    Frudd Posts: 53 Forumite
    Options
    Both are fairly common so finding spare parts wont be a problem. I have driven plenty of Vauxhalls, both hired and owned including some corsas. All the used ones have had their faults, but that is used cars full stop. I did once read an article that compared cars based on the % originally made that were still running. The Nissan Micra topped that list. Not sure if the new models are as good but you can say that about most cars. My advice...........

Pick the one you like the best.

There are so many variables with used cars that without lookng at the two exact cars you are comparing all advice is largely meaningless. One piece of advice I will throw in on top, try have a pot of a few hundred quid stashed for repairs. The price bracket you are looking in means things will be getting worn out, it is part of the joy of a banger. I always buy a Haynes manual for the model car I get and try to do as much work as possible myself.
    £0/£2017 extra income :(
    £1070 credit card
  • liltzero
    liltzero Posts: 74 Forumite
    Options
    Unless you're a girl don't choose the Micra. It's like driving a Fiat 500, no man should be near one.
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    liltzero wrote: »
    Unless you're a girl don't choose the Micra. It's like driving a Fiat 500, no man should be near one.
    I used to know an Italian guy with an English girlfriend and later wife (she was my mate's sister). He would drive non-stop from Genoa to Leeds in a Fiat 500* just to be with her for a weekend. He was big, hairy and very macho, and I wouldn't like to be the person who suggested that a Fiat 500 wasn't for real men :)

*This was in the late 60s, so a proper one.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure