Warning if you insure your car with RAC

Options
I took out car insurance with RAC thinking that they were a reputable company and if I had a problem it would be properly dealt with. Unfortunately I found out that was not the case.

Someone drove into me and it was absolutely their fault but Aviva insist that it was my liability. Aviva claimed that what the police said about the other party driving without due care and attention was irrelevant. I was so shocked by and suspicious of Aviva's dealing with me that I looked them up on Trust Pilot only to find out that they have appallling reviews and Trust Pilot ratings. [Sorry as a new user I am apparently not allowed to post a link.]

RAC say there is absolutely nothing they can do about anything, as they have no choice but to go by what the underwriters say which in this case is Aviva. They suggested I go to the Financial Services Ombudsman.

I took out legal insurance with RAC but it won't do me any good in this matter so that was a waste of money also.

:mad:

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was so shocked by and suspicious of Aviva's dealing with me that I looked them up on Trust Pilot only to find out that they have appallling reviews and Trust Pilot ratings. [Sorry as a new user I am apparently not allowed to post a link.]

Trustpilot ratings are pointless. Easily manipulated. We have seen scams with near perfect ratings. That is no measure of quality.
    Aviva claimed that what the police said about the other party driving without due care and attention was irrelevant.

It depends on the cause of the accident. Just because one is in the wrong does not mean the other can get away with things that they should have been careful about too.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Alicesusan wrote: »
    I took out car insurance with RAC thinking that they were a reputable company and if I had a problem it would be properly dealt with. Unfortunately I found out that was not the case......
    RAC car insurance is actually another trading name for bisl. a broker that operates under many trading names which may give the impression you are with a different company altogether

(AKA budget/post office/M & S/Lloyds Bank etc)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure