PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Andrew James Stand Mixer?

Options
Hi all,

I have an ancient Kenwood Chef which is really on its last legs. Not only has it started sounding really rough when mixing but the paint has also flaked off all over and is generally in a poor state.

So, I'm looking into buying a new mixer. I quite often make a large volume of cakes - mixing batter for 36 cupcakes at a time is not unheard of - so the smaller Kenwood Prospero and Patissier are out. I also mix a lot of buttercream so need a good splashguard to stop the kitchen being covered in icing sugar!

I've come across the Andrew James 7 litre version with a meat mincer attachment here and wondered if anyone has any experience of it and, if so, what you think of it?

Thanks,

Kevin

Comments

• quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've been looking at the smaller andrew james mixer and it has really great reviews i just can't push myself to take the leap for an unknown brand :(
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • Kevie192
    Kevie192 Posts: 1,146 Forumite
    Options
    I'm exactly the same. Maybe we should make a pact and buy at the same time? :rotfl:
  • Tenyearstogo
    Tenyearstogo Posts: 692 Forumite
    Options
    I'm in this camp too! I wanted a kitchenaid but these mixers are a quarter of the price.

Report back if you buy one please!
  • flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I bought one and soon returned it. Compared to my old 901 the AJ one was very noisy. I then bought the kenwood KM330 and tbh its just as noisy, so i wish id kept the AJ one as it was half the price of the kenwood
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Kevie192 wrote: »
    I'm exactly the same. Maybe we should make a pact and buy at the same time? :rotfl:

Lol my mother in laws getting a kitchenaid in the next week or so, her kenwood is broken but we think it's the motor so hubbys gonna try fix it first, i'm reluctant to buy one because i'm on a diet and i might be tempted to make cakes :rotfl:
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • plum2002
    plum2002 Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    Options
    quintwins wrote: »
    Lol my mother in laws getting a kitchenaid in the next week or so, her kenwood is broken but we think it's the motor so hubbys gonna try fix it first, i'm reluctant to buy one because i'm on a diet and i might be tempted to make cakes :rotfl:

i replaced my kenwood motor with one from ebay, think it cost about £15, but so far so good :)
    Love many, trust few, learn to paddle your own canoe.

“Don’t have children if you can’t afford them” is the “Let them eat cake” of the 21st century. It doesn’t matter how children got here, they need and deserve to be fed.
  • ciderwithrosie_2
    Options
    Funny, I was looking at the Andrew James ones only today, thinking I might treat myself to one soon, I just can't run to the price of a kitchenaid.

If you do decide to buy one, it would be great if you could update this thread with a review.
    Over futile odds
    And laughed at by the gods
    And now the final frame
    Love is a losing game
  • richacol
    richacol Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Take the leap, I got the smaller stand mixer from them. Yes it's a bit noisy, but how long are you going to be running it for. It does have the oomph for anything I've thrown at it.

Was so impresed I got both the hand and stck mixers as well.
  • cheeswright
    cheeswright Posts: 433 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    if you hang on for a few days I'll let you know - I've had one of these for a week and I'm currently slightly underwhelmed with the machine
    and very impressed with the company service
    if they can fix its "issues" I'm going to be very happy
    if its just design flaws that are causing problems- then they're too serious to make this machine worth having
    Fight Back - Be Happy
  • richacol
    richacol Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Cheesewright

What problems are you having?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts