Buyer has a problem with an item I sold in january

Options
Hi,
I sold an electrical item in January, the buyer has just messaged me saying there is a problem with it. I have googled and replied with the solution Google suggests but they said they have tried that and it didn't work.

Where do I stand please? I am a private seller

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Private seller,then its not your problem.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,206 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Politely reply that perhaps they should speak to the manufacturer for further advice as the item sold was a personal sale of your own unwanted item and therefore sold without warranty. (or tidy that up a bit so it doesn't sound confrontational.)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • wookeyhole1
    wookeyhole1 Posts: 2,199 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    thank you for your advice
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just be mindful that Paypal give an 180 day SNAD case time. Which doesn't mean they can return it, but might mean they try to.
  • Tealblue
    Tealblue Posts: 929 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Rather depends what you said in your listing. Private sellers are just as responsible as business sellers if they (mis)describe something. However, given the length of time which has passed, it's a bit unlikely that you'd have to accept a return and/or refund the buyer unless you listing had words to the effect 'brand new, warranty/guarantee for x months'.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure