New Enterprise Allowance scheme - My story

Options

Comments

• ceegee
    ceegee Posts: 856 Forumite
    edited 17 November 2015 at 10:37AM
    Options
    Electrum wrote: »
    How much do you get per week please on new enterprise allowance?

Can you still get that £1000 grant to start up? Or is it a loan?

The grant is £65 per week for 13 weeks, followed by £33 per week for the following 13 weeks. This does not have to be paid back.

There is a facility to apply for a loan of up to £2500, subject to status/credit checks. This has to be paid back and the term can be up to 5 years. However, the interest rate is a stonking 6% (6.02%APR). :eek:
    :snow_grin"Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow........":snow_grin
  • Electrum
    Options
    ceegee wrote: »
    The grant is £65 per week for 13 weeks, followed by £33 per week for the following 13 weeks. This does not have to be paid back.

There is a facility to apply for a loan of up to £2500, subject to status/credit checks. This has to be paid back and the term can be up to 5 years. However, the interest rate is a stonking 6% (6.02%APR). :eek:

If you have poor credit then is it unlikely?

What if the business depends on start up funds?
  • TrueBlue1965
    TrueBlue1965 Posts: 95 Forumite
    edited 18 November 2015 at 4:58AM
    Options
    Not sure the NEA loan is credit checked in the same way as a normal bank loan. The main factor is the completed business plan and signing of JSA.

The NEA loan is a maximum of £2,500 and is linked to having a viable business plan. Its aimed at new, start-up businesses who have not started trading yet. A clear credit check is not a condition of offering the NEA loan. However, they will ask questions before offering the loan. If they smell a scam. They are within there rights to say no to offering a loan. However, if your unemployed for any time. Every chance that many will have a low credit rating. Without a loan. Many would not have the funds to start a new business. So, the NEA loan providers are expected to look at credit checks in a less negative way than other types of loans.

The loan is/was paid back over upto 3 years. This might hae changed but not as fare as im aware. Interest only payments in 1st year of trading of £13 per month. The 2nd and 3rd year of loan repayments are £110.82 per month. Thats for a £2,500 NEA loan paid back over the full 3 years

Start-Up Loan Company also offer loans to new businesses. They have a longer upto 5 year pay back time. However, some big differences between the amount your able to borrow and the terms to be offered by the Start-Up Loan Company. You will be credit checked and viewed in a similar way to those who request a normal bank loan!

Start-Up Loan Company loans can be £10,000+. Start-Up Loan Company loans are more than £5,000 on average. Key point with a Start-Up Loan Company loan is that you must already be trading so you can show that the business is viable and making a profit.

Those on NEA can switch to a Start-Up Loan Company loan once they can prove that they are making a profit from their business and want further funding to grow. If you have a NEA loan. You have to clear the original NEA loan in full with part of the new Start-Up Loan Company loan.

Here is where there might be some confussion. It confussed me at the time of attempting to get the NEA loan two years ago. If you ask the Start-Up Loan Company if they offer/provide NEA loans. They say yes!!! However, these loans are in fact, top up loans for those who have been with NEA. Bit of a con but they are only a bank with Government backing who are looking to make 6% interest on a £5,000+ loan.

Sounds positive Val. Yes, your on the NEA business plan part of the programme as you now have a mentor. Any issues with JCP. Set your mentor on them! So, no job search target rubbish for you. Your working towards completing your business plan. Thats your job search!

The weekly grant payments are yours once your business plan is signed off by your NEA adviser/mentor as being complete and viable and you have signed off JSA.

JCP staff should be helpful now that your on NEA. Any issues with JCP. Set your NEA adviser/mentor on to them. They should know how to deal with any difficult JCP staff.
  • YKay
    YKay Posts: 751 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone know if a couple would be eligible to both join NEA together? We are both unemployed claiming JSA and would be interested in starting a business together.
  • YKay
    Options
    YKay wrote: »
    Does anyone know if a couple would be eligible to both join NEA together? We are both unemployed claiming JSA and would be interested in starting a business together.

Anyone ?
  • TrueBlue1965
    edited 20 November 2015 at 3:19AM
    Options
    Hi YKay,

Not sure there is any reason why a couple cannot both be on NEA and either working on different new businesses or even the same business together. I know of two people who both went on NEA as separate individuals but working in the same business together. The only stipulation I am aware of is that you are unemployed and signing-on to be elegable to be put forward to go on NEA.

The main problem for a couple would be if one partner is claiming JSA for the couple (likely). However, both partners can sign-on as unemployed in their own right but only one person is paid benefits. In a similar way. If one partner is working. This does not mean that the partner cannot sign-on as unemployed. However, the unemployed partner would not be paid JSA because of the working partners wages/income.

NEA payments are not means tested and have nothing to do with Tax or other benefits. No reason also why two people/a couple cannot claim NEA payments separately while working in the same business. There would need to be evidence within the business plan/plans of enough work for both partners and that the business or businesses are viable. Two people working within a business suggests more potential for making enough money to support one family. Its just how you set your business/businesses up to keep JCP and NEA happy! Might need to be two separate businesses within one business for both partners to gain NEA payment. However, nothing to stop one new business from subcontracting to a separate new business as a partnership for business plan and NEA payments purposes. How you set up the business for legal and tax purposes is something separate to the NEA payments.
  • rogerzdano9
    Options
    I'm a single parent and i am signed up to the scheme at the moment.
    I have had my business plan approved and will sign my paper work to start recieving NEA weekly payments next week.

I have also been approved for a £2000 start up loan which is processed by a company called GLE, sadly i cant post a link on here because i'm new but if you google "gle start up" then you'll find details of the company that handles the start up loans.

The NEA weekly payments are part of the gov.
    My mentors have been awesome and always on the end of the phone or email :)
  • YKay
    Options
    My work advisor refused to refer me to the NEA today due to me being unemployed for "too long" ....

Is this allowed? I don't see how this is anything to do with it. I also do not see why it is up to my advisor to decide if I can go on the scheme or not?

I am thinking of writing to my local MP, and see if he can help me in any way, what do you think?
  • TrueBlue1965
    edited 28 November 2015 at 6:31AM
    Options
    YKay, have you been refered to The Work Programme?

You will have to take part in the Work Programme if you belong to any of the following groups of people:
    • you are aged 18-24 and have claimed jobseeker's allowance for nine months
    • you are aged 25 or over and have claimed jobseeker's allowance for 12 months.
    If you have been refered to The Work Programme. Your stuck on that programme for 2 years and cannot be refered to NEA in that time period. The reason being that the Government are already providing support to get you back into long term full-time work.

I was unemployed for almost 4 years in total. I was refered to The Work Programme when it first started. It was a total waste of 2 years of my life. I was then placed on what was called Next Step. Within 2 weeks I was refered to NEA and my working life changed for the better. So, clearly there is no time limit for being unemployed before going on NEA as long as you have not been refered to The Work Programme or a similar programme of support.

Ask what level of support you are getting from JCP to help you back into work and have you been refered to any time locked type of support or programmes? If not, then you should be able to be refered to NEA as long as you have a viable business idea.

Being unemployed for too long is not a valid reason to not refer you to NEA if you have a viable business idea. Request to be refered to NEA again ASAP. If your told no again by your JCP adviser. Ask to speak to a manager and explain your business idea (Get something down on paper if you can) to them and ask the manager to refer you to NEA.

Personally, if I had not been told in writing that I had been refered to a programme of support such as The Work Programme. I would be asking to see either my JCP adviser or a JCP Manager on Monday morning about your business idea and requesting to be refered to NEA, ASAP. As you have not had anything in writing about being refered to a different programme of support. It sort of puts the problem back in there hands re any issues regarding the amount of time you have been unemployed. Get yourself refered to NEA before they refer you to The Work Programme. If there is nothng in writing. Then, they have the problem over time!
  • Electrum
    Electrum Posts: 218 Forumite
    edited 14 December 2015 at 4:01PM
    Options
    A few questions about NEA please?

1. Do you get WTC based on your last years income, plus the NEallowance 65 per week for 13 weeks, followed by £33 per week for the following 13 weeks?

2. The following year when working out your income, does the NEAllowance count as income just as income from the business?

3. How long are you given if you cant make the business work, can you keep living off WTC trying to make the business work for 1 year or 2 years if there is still no profit?

4. If you do stop trading and go back on JSA after say 13 weeks or something, is it classed as a new claim? Will it take another year before they start pressuring you to do a work placement?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure